Changing pick ups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Dead Head, Nov 21, 2020 at 12:19 PM.

1. Dead Head

Dead Head New Member!

If I change on pick ups on my strat, do I have to change any of the tone or volume pots? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I don't know as much as most of you when it comes to guitars. Sorry. Thanks

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

It depends what pickups you're putting in - you have to tell us.....and what Strat? we need information from you....is it your 2003 MIM Standard? You say they sound thin to you, ceramic pickups sound more beefy usually than alnico.....if you get Bootstrap pickups you might find the sound MORE thin....

What sound are you looking for? what kind of music? what level of gain/distortion?

Tone Deaf likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

This is the order to follow if you are chasing tone fixes, test at each stage:

-pickup heights, screw pole heights (if humbuckers), and 'tip' bass vs treble side.
    -Swap pots 'n caps
    -Swap pickups and go back to the top of the list

Too many swap several rounds of $200/set pickups to fix a tone problem with their pickup heights (free) or pots 'n caps choices (under $20).

Lay out the problem you have on your guitar, like is it too muddy or too bright, the suggestions will fly.

If you are just uneasy about having 'ceramic pickups' when everyone seems to want 'alnico' then ... you are being influenced a lot by marketing to cause spending. Ceramic magnets are stronger than alnico so they need to be as low as you can go to weaken them up for the 'classic Strat 50s tones' of branded alnico sets. Of course the alnico ones can't get the raunchy bar band amp crushing rock power up by the strings that the ceramic magnets can give.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  4. CFFF

CFFF Strat-Talker

If you are changing single coils for different single coils or humbuckers for different humbuckers then usually we do not need to change the pots. :)

Handsome McClane likes this.
  5. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-Talker Silver Member

So long as it's MIM or MIA the existing electronics should be fine. No need to swap them unless it's a Squier Affinity or something like that.

6. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

No. In a strat you have a hot wire (usually white) going to the switch and a ground wire (usually black) going to the back of a pot.
    If you want to be prepared: make sure your iron is HOT and you only place it on the pot for 2-3 seconds. Use the thickest solder you can and make sure the guitar is level.