Join Strat-Talk Today

Changing speaker on the deluxe reverb already

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by SilvaStrat, Oct 8, 2019.

1. SilvaStrat

SilvaStrat Strat-O-Master

I bought a DRRI a a fill days ago , as I mentioned in other tread , and I loved , but I think I can make it even better for low volume , I am going to install a celestion blue on it , knowing that the amp is 22 watt and the ratting is 15watt for the celestion blue , I intend to use the DRRI only on my bedroom, so I thing I will be alright, I won’t get passed 7 on the volume , I have seen some videos on the Blue , I am very interested , I never used a 15 watts speaker before , does anyone have installed a blue on the DRRI ? Or any other amp with higher wattage ? I have seen somewhere that the C. blue can take more than it ratted wattage ?

And to make it even sweeter , I was impressed how much the Alnico Jansen 40 watt speaker that is on DRRI tamed the Blues Deluxe I own , so I will be swapping the creambacks that are on BD for the Jansen , it lowered the volume enough so I can crank it and get more tube distortion with the speaker distortion and not go deaf

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Just be aware that a 22 watt tube amp can be putting out well over 22 watts if you have it turned up to the point of distortion, regardless of what number the volume control is set at. If I were choosing a speaker to put in a 22 watt tube amp, I'd pick one rated for 40 or 50 watts or more.

There's no clear connection between sounding good at low power and the speaker's maximum power rating. My 2x12 cabinet is rated for 160 watts, but sounds very good when driven by my 5 watt '57 Princeton.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  3. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster

4. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i have a celestion gold which is a copy of the celestion blue but the gold is a 50 watt speaker.

it is in my princeton/deluxe type clone and it is divine imo. i have had the celestion gold for years and it turned out to be one of my best gear purchases even though i was scared to spend that much on a speaker !

the celestion blue can handle a few more than 15 watts but also the deluxe reverb can put out more than 22 watts so i do not not know if you are in a safe zone or not....

dbolt, mad axe man and SilvaStrat like this.
  5. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

If your getting it up to 7 in your bedroom you better have ear plugs in or you’ll loose your hearing soon, the amp don’t get much louder after seven anyway and it’s A frickin loud amp for only 22W. Wouldn’t it be better to turn it down and use a od/dist pedal.

6. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

Another person that buys an amp because of peer approval and not because they like the sound.

So many ppl seem to buy BF Fenders then immediately proceed to de-Fender them??

JustABluesGuy and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  7. SilvaStrat

no it isn't too loud , it is because of the Jansen 40 watts , it breaks up when you turn it up , but I see what you saying , I did plugged the DDRI into a creamback extension cab , it when exponentially loud with the , like crazy loud , I assume it is because the lower power handling of it ,

8. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

I am using the stock Jensen P12Q in my DRRI for the same reason, I get to turn the amp up to 3, maybe 3.5 out in my shop. I concur with the folks that say turning that amp up to 7 with a speaker rated at 15 watts is asking for trouble. If you really want that overdrive sound, I would either use a good overdrive pedal or get a smaller tube amp. My DRRI through a good Eminence ceramic speaker is monsterously loud on 3 out in my shop. I've actually never had it past 4. Gigging a big space or with a drummer is another story, but in the bedroom you'll go deaf quickly. It's an absolutely sweet amp tho, love mine.

SilvaStrat likes this.
  9. SilvaStrat

I new I was going to piss someone off with this tread , lol ,

808K likes this.
  10. SilvaStrat

I agree , I have on 5 right now , and it is a great spot , appear to have a sweet spot from 4 to 6 , to control with the guitar volume knob

roadhog96 likes this.
  11. SilvaStrat

if I needed peer approval I swear I would bought that mesa boogie california tweed with white Tolex , man how sexy that amp is , people would love me if I were to buy that one ;), don't you agree? wouldn't you ?

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

My 67 SF Deluxe Reverb has a Fender labeled 67 Jensen C12NA speaker in it, and I play on 4 most of the time and that's with the guitar turned down a little in a 12X25 room. If I turn it up to 7 which I have and the guitar on 10 it will hurt your ears it’s way to loud. If I plug the DR into one of my 2X12 cabs the power is reduced considerably, I’ve read it’s as much as 40% because the two 8 ohm speakers are wired in parallel which makes them 4 ohm load instead of the 8 ohm load the O.T. is looking for. If I plug into both channels at the same time with a ABY switch its gets as loud as the 1X12 8 ohm speaker because it’s using both amp stages now. My amp will totally distort on 5 if I use the Les Paul with humbuckers.

SilvaStrat likes this.
  13. SilvaStrat

is that something can be done ? I didn't know about this one , I must try

14. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

Dude, get the celestion gold, or youre gonna blow that blue.

Stratoskater, CB91710, dbolt and 2 others like this.
  15. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

You can do it but both channels need to be in phase with each other. Fender amps that have reverb on the second channel are out of phase with each other. My pedal has a phase switch which corrects this but I only need to use it when I play through two amps and they are out of phase with each other. My DR has reverb on both channels mod so they are in phase. You can also channel jump when they are in phase. Guitar to input #1 Normal channel and a short jumper cable from input #2 Normal channel to input #1 Vibrato channel.

mabley123 and SilvaStrat like this.
  16. SilvaStrat

is there any sign on the speaker if it is being overworked? I assume it rattle till it breaks the cone out the frame ? right ? it doesn't burns the coil if I am right ?

17. SilvaStrat

I assume they are out of phase because it as it is , without any mod , it is built to be played by 2 players one on each channel ? that also docent makes sense , one guitar would be canceling the other ? I have one of those ABY with phase insertion , I must to try it tomorrow

18. SilvaStrat

I assume to jump channels one must convert the 2 imput on the first channel to a output , right ?

19. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

No it’s made to give the player choices of tone. Normal channel sounds different than the Vibrato channel which has a Bright cap #2 input in both channels has a 6 decibel reduction for taming high output humbucker guitars. And if the amp is stock they are out of phase so you either have to do the reverb mod or buy a switch pedal thats made to correct the phase.

SilvaStrat likes this.
  20. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

Nope all you do is this with your cables BUT both channels have to be in phase which they are not in a stock Deluxe Reverb. Amps like Bassman, Showman, Deluxe they all have no Reverb and are in phase. This picture of a Twin Reverb is showing how to channel jump because a stock TR is out of phase or they did the Reverb on both channel mod for this to work.
    upload_2019-10-8_21-30-46.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    SilvaStrat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.