Join Strat-Talk Today

Chapman

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by guitarface, Sep 18, 2019.

1. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Anyone have one?

Anyone?

Just wondering.

2. Neve

Neve Strat-Talker

Nope. I don’t like them at all...
    I’m a more traditional/vintage guy I guess.

abnormaltoy and StrugglingStrum like this.
  3. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

No, not even tempted.

4. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

I'll get one eventually, the range looks different enough from everything else out there to tempt me :)

TangerineDog and abnormaltoy like this.
  5. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

I wish they were more readily available. While I think they are a little over-hyped on the interwebs for just another import made guitar, I still like the look of the ML3 Pro and I'd love to check one out but there isn't a Chapman to be found anywhere within a day's drive of me. Riff City is closing so I think only Guitar Center sells them in the US now, and they don't have them in stores around here.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

No. I'm in the 'not tempted' category, too.

BUT...

I'm interested in anything new relative to guitars, amps, pedals, underwear.

I'd be surprised if no one here has one...

Brian

abnormaltoy and StrugglingStrum like this.
  7. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

Based off the few that were available locally, there was not much value proposition of the guitars beyond the fact that Rob Chapman is pretty visible on Youtube amongst guitar players thanks to Andertons.

They felt no better than the LTDs and Ibanez guitars in that price range. Personally, not a huge fan of that signature on the headstock, could have kept it smaller and classier.

If you're looking for a modern aesthetic, there are plenty of other 'non-traditional' brands out there now, including some of the old guard like LTD, Jackson that deliver the tones for much less cost.

abnormaltoy and johnnymg like this.
  8. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Pretty bad ass

810nLuhxJKL._SY879_.jpg

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I can't even think about them without seeing <several expletives deleted> Chapman's <several more expletives deleted> face.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

That's because the early Chapmans were made in the same Korean factory as LTD, Ibanez, and PRS SE.

I have a few MIK PRS SEs and they are nice guitars in the last few years covering the same build time frame as the Chapmans.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. StrugglingStrum

StrugglingStrum Strat-Talker

Nope. At least the old ones had upgraded pickups. Now they make their own and moved the production to a lesser builder in Indonesia. I never liked the looks, even though I really like a reverse headstock. I respect rob as a guitar player but have no interest in supporting his guitar line with my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-Talker

Tempted just because I love the channel. Tried a lower end mid priced at GC in Orlando. Jumbo frets and the neck just didn’t feel comfortable to me. It was about $500 I believe. As with any brand a higher end / cost model might make a difference. The bass vid1900 pictured looks absolutely boutique.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  13. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I guess availability must vary depending on what each GC wants to stock. My local GC has a bunch of them; they are in the former "platinum room" (now just an amp demo room with both the lunchbox heads and some of those amp/effects modeling processors) and for whatever reason they even have the nicer ones in those locked hangers. Not my style of guitar either so I haven't really messed around with them.

abnormaltoy and jwj1701 like this.
  14. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

I discovered Chappers and the Captain on YouTube some years ago and have probably watched all the videos they made over the years. Rob Chapman seems to be quite a polarizing figure, and IMO most people who’ve seen his videos definitely either like or dislike him. Me, I like him (his playing, his personality, his humor) and I decided that a sized-down Explorer (aka Ghost Fret) might be a really nice guitar to play (I have a Gibson Explorer and the Cadillac fin always feels a bit too big). I had to order it through GC online, there was nothing local to try. I ordered a Ghost Fret Pro so it wasn’t really cheap ($1100) but as you’ll read below it has a lot of nice added features over the standard line. I prefer not to think about what I spent or I’ll be thinking about what I could have better spent the money on but it’s water under the bridge now.

When it got delivered, I actually returned the first one at my local GC (the finish was faulty although it played well), and reordered there. The second one looked a lot better and also played really well so I kept it. It’s turned into my #3 behind my LP and Strat and I play it more than my Explorer because it’s so much more comfortable, being about 80% of the size of an Explorer. It has a great C-shape maple neck, satin smooth, with SS jumbo frets, ebony fretboard, and Tusq nut, Hipshot locking tuners, neck-through design for sustain, beautifully carved flamed thick maple cap (5/16” thickest), strap locks, and a nice HSC. The pickups are proprietary Chapman Primordials, nice, pretty hot with Alnico magnets, but of course can be replaced so never a dealbreaker with the pups. There is a coil split push-pull in the tone knob. The signature Chapman 12th fret Infinity marker is the only top-side fret marker. I would prefer the usual fingerboard fret markers and am thinking about getting them installed but there are side markers and they’re adequate for quick reference. And they glow in the dark for stage use LOL! All in all, I’m really happy with the Ghost Fret Pro. Great build, great action, great neck, great sustain, good tones, and nice weight (7.5 lb). [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-Talker

Very nice. They do make some beautiful looking guitars but I’m a single coil guy. Rob prefers humbucker’s (I think he wants to be the UK’s Gibson. I hope he does better than that). But the temptation is there just being a fan of Anderton’s and the other channels. Just haven’t found one that agrees with me yet. PS. I wonder how many they’ve sold just on the popularity of the channel?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  16. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I think the ml1 pro traditionals look pretty nice for (relatively) old school strat guys.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  17. JRS27

JRS27 Strat-Talk Member

I bought a silly cheap second hand ML3-RC in dark cherry on a bit of a whim. As everyone, I saw them on Anderton’s TV and it’s a good looking guitar.

Very well specced with Seymour Duncan pickups and a coil split on the tone. Locking tuners would be nice but you can’t have it all.

I think there is a lot of hype about them but in THIS case it’s probably fair. Endless tone variations, lively fast neck but it is blooming heavy!

I quite fancy trying the the Bea model and ghost fret.

at the moment it’s my number one and inspiring to play but we will see where it ends up over time...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    KillingTone and abnormaltoy like this.
  18. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

I have to say, the Ghost Fret has not disappointed me in any way. I love the satin neck and C-shape, plays beautifully. The workmanship is very solid on mine and it sounds great through my Marshall DSL40CR.

19. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

Cause I'm the Chapman
    Yea, I'm the Chapman
    And you're playing your guitar for no one but me.
    Chap-man!

ajb1965 likes this.
  20. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Why get a Chapman.....when there is Shecter!?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.