Cheap clone pedals?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by HazyPurple, Oct 13, 2021.

1. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

Ok I get it, cheaper components mean less longevity.

But they can sound terrific, near damn 6x less expensive than the real deal they are based on.

My question is?

I'm using rechargeable batteries instead of sag/swell transient mains adapters, so the cheap pedals should last longer?

stormsedge likes this.
  2. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker

uh huh...

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

The actual components that make up the circuit either work or don't work, provided they're done correctly in the SMT machine. If they're defective, they will either be DOA or fail within a very short time frame. The long term weak points are the plugs, switches and pots. Light home use should allow them to last a long time without any problems. Heavier usage, exposure in negative environmental factors (smoke, dust, power surges, etc) and other such things will shorten their operating life.

igor4444, HazyPurple and soulman969 like this.
  4. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

The "cheap clone" I just bought is handwired with top quality components. No surface mount cheap anything.

Its not always that they're made of crappy parts. The King of Drive that I just bought isn't. Sometimes it's just down to economy of scale. You've got a couple of guys sitting at a table every night building 8 pedals at a time vs a company in China that's set up to manufacture pedals already and can produce hundreds per day on the very low end and thousands on the high end. That alone is going to cut costs significantly.

Obviously once you're making hundreds per day, your costs are going to go down plus labor is cheaper there, as well. So, that cuts down cost also. And we haven't even touched the quality of the components, yet. Don't confuse cheap with inexpensive. Many of these pedals, just like low cost guitars, are inexpensive but not cheap.

I just paid $60 +shipping for that King of Drive pedal. Compared to the Analogman King of Tone, this pedal is inexpensive and very well-made. Overall quality, imo, is easily comparable to the KOT. Looking at it in-hand, it's really, really nicely made and just looks and feels like a quality pedal.

I wouldn't be surprised if it could pass for a pedal in the same group as JHS, Wampler, Vertex, etc...not completely boutique but not a cheap clone like Behringer either.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I stopped buying cheap clone pedals years ago after several crappy joyo and other knock offs had noise or reliability issues. The least expensive pedal on my board is probably $200 and that’s a volume pedal :eek:

HazyPurple and Namelyguitar like this.
  6. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

I bought one name brand pedal, the LED burned out (still works properly though), after that I moved to the $ 25-30 Chinese pedals and they just work. And if it dies, well, I can replace it for $ 25-30. For that price I can buy a backup and still come in at a fraction of what the original prices at. If I ever make it big, I'll let the originals give me whatever gear I would choose to ever endorse. Until someone pays me royalties, I'll continue to do this journey at a more affordable investment. I'm not a pedal flipper, resale value isn't a motivator. I'm not going to hope I get a Klon original to appreciate and hope to find a buyer for a used pedal that's older than dirt.

HazyPurple and stormsedge like this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

If your house/building/stage power source is dirty enough to warrant concern for a few pedals...what are you doing to protect your expensive amplifier?

I'm asking for a friend.

HazyPurple and soulman969 like this.
  8. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

It's got a fuse in the plug so hopefully that will help...

9. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Okay, then.