Cheap Lefty Strat Clone

Aqueix

Strat-Talker
Jul 30, 2021
Arizona
I was thinking about buying one of those cheap Strat clones off of amazon for around 100 bucks but I'm not completely sure if I should or not. I'm going to upgrade all the electronics and tuners anyways so all im really buying it for is the body and the neck. Setup and stuff shouldn't really be an issue because I know how to set a strat up decently. Should I go for it?

This is the exact one im thinking about

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
For that price I say yes, less thank $100 bucks. It's all about the experience, but that's just me.....

crawdaddy

Most Honored Senior Member
Feb 11, 2010
Valley o Sun
Me personally....no....Remember, you get what you pay for...

I have bought some cheaper guitars for my sons and the grandchildren....The only ones that I've found that are worth the money are the Harley Benton's....and even those are hit or miss....

I just saw a used MIM left handed strat on Reverb for $350....to me that would be a much better foundation to start with....

I have no affiliation at all with the seller of the MIM....

Best of luck on your decision...

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

The photo link didn't show up for me.

My recommendation:

Glarry or Eart Strat.

Only SSS version, rewire for Armstrong Blender mod (second tone pot blends between SSS and HSH), replace the pots, switch, jack with typical MIA parts.

Check the frets for level and file fret ends at the driest time of the year for you. Level frets if necessary (will play like Custom Shop models if you do, it's the highest value mod on a guitar).

Deck/block the trem.

Do a down-town job on the setup.

Any other mod is a waste of time, money, or a distraction (trems are a distraction for me, either they go out of tune because I test their limits or I mod them to stay in tune but then test their limits again).

Lost Sailor

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 20, 2012
Wolf 359
I bought a lefty cheapie (I think it was "huntington")
Neck was like a baseball bat - pickups had to go, the routing was done by a chimpanze.......couldn't keep it very long at all.

Mind Flayer

Strat-O-Master
Feb 29, 2012
Chicagoland
I’d personally get a used squier affinity or something along those lines. At least with those you know what you’re getting, and can probably resell it for around what you paid for it. God knows what you’ll get on an “Ashethorpe,” but it probably won’t be good.

Aqueix

Strat-Talker
Jul 30, 2021
Arizona
I’d personally get a used squier affinity or something along those lines. At least with those you know what you’re getting, and can probably resell it for around what you paid for it. God knows what you’ll get on an “Ashethorpe,” but it probably won’t be good.
I would try to opt for the affinity but they discontinued the lefty variant unfortunately

Nubs

Strat-O-Master
Aug 29, 2015
Eastern Shore, MD
Never heard of that brand before. I would suggest looking for a used Squier Classic Vibe. Should be able to snag one for around $300-$400. If you saw a used MIM for around that price, get it!