Cheaper De Oxit options?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by PatrickTeaneck, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Senior Stratmaster

as others said, DeoxIT period end of story.

PatrickTeaneck likes this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Note that I edited my post to read "oleic acid". I think oleic acid is oily by itself.

PatrickTeaneck and dirocyn like this.
  3. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Is DeOxit the stuff that fizzes up?

4. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

CRC QD is the same stuff as Deoxit. That said, I tried CRC QD on a pot and it didn't fix the cratchy-ness. Then I put a drop of Tri-flow lube down the shaft...mission accomplished.

5. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Strat-Talk Member

There's a gunsmith on eBay sells a pair of brass cylinders that screw onto the pots - one metric and one SAE. About $15. Directs the flow and keeps the DeoxIT from getting all over the guitar finish. I recommend them - they work great for me.

6. PatrickTeaneck

PatrickTeaneck Strat-Talker

Went with Deoxit and it did the trick. Thanks everyone!

7. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

[​IMG]

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  8. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Interesting...I noticed awhile back that the push-pull tone pot on my Nashville Tele ( complete 7-way control panel from 920D installed by previous owner) has a small copper cylinder around its shaft. I thought "wierd" but dismissed it as probably related to the push-pull functionality of the pot.

9. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

DeOxit is what I was looking for here a couple years ago and the Electronics supply store doesn't carry and indicated that it was not available here in Canada. Haven’t checked on that but bought a different brand of cleaner/lubricant.
    DeOXIT seems to be the grail for electronic care from what Ive seen on the repair videos etc...I have seen. YMMV.

10. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Well one reason is it smells 1000 times worse. It seems to work okay but man there’s no way I use that stuff inside.... D5 you can without feeling you’ve just poisoned yourself :confused: too much.....

One reason why I used the CRC stuff is to remove tons of yuck out of an amplifier. I have hundreds and sometimes idiot light guys or clubs will find a way to get a metric ton of fog juice into your amps since they’re sucking in cooling air. Inside that amp gets to be like major yuck factor so sometimes I’ll need quite a bit of cleansing on everything in there. Using D5 would be an expensive option. But you can bet I’m outside when I’m using that stuff.