chinese squier telecaster

himijendrix

Senior Stratmaster
May 2, 2012
Barrow Upon Soar, UK
A buddy lent me his new chinese squier tele to see what I thought.

Amazingly, I love it. Looks great, excellent set up. A really comfortable player, low action, good neck. Soundwise a little harsh on the bridge pup but cam be tamed with the tone setting.

All in all, very impressed!

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA

Amazingly, I love it. Looks great, excellent set up. A really comfortable player, low action, good neck. Soundwise a little harsh on the bridge pup but cam be tamed with the tone setting.

Yep, TBH, you pay a big premium for small advances in feel and sound, when it comes to the low end Squier/Fenders, vs the higher end.

Hardware and electronics are definitely better on the nicer guitars, but the cheap squiers are so good for their cost. And everything they lack, is easily and relatively cheaply fixable.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada

Which model? Can be anywhere from $150 to $400 US new, big difference between them....

himijendrix

Senior Stratmaster
May 2, 2012
Barrow Upon Soar, UK
That's an Affinity then, 2nd from bottom of the line - if you think they're good you should try out a Classic Vibe!! nice!!

Thanks for that.

One thing that bothers me is the finish on the neck, or complete lack of any! I could see it becoming rather grubby after a a few years of use. Is there any recommended treatment?

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA
Thanks for that.

One thing that bothers me is the finish on the neck, or complete lack of any! I could see it becoming rather grubby after a a few years of use. Is there any recommended treatment?
Some people prefer it that way. But you can lightly sand and spray clear over it, or do the same, and do an oil finish on it.

Pretty simple, although spraying the Finish is the easiest way.

they don’t usually get grubby though, the way they are, unless you play it all the time with dirty hands.

some people go to lengths to make their nitro coated neck have the same feel as these. I like it either way.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
Thanks for that.

It has a satin sealer type of finish, it needs nothing....it will be fine.....higher end Squier guitars have thicker neck finishes.....

HazyPurple

You've gotta get up!, to get down!
Silver Member
May 5, 2020
UK
If I was given the choice, Squire Affinity or Epiphone SL?

Squire all day long.

The Epiphone VE is an insult to the consumer.

The Pacific is a very ergonomic experience. Imo.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
If I was given the choice, Squire Affinity or Epiphone SL?

Squire all day long.

The Epiphone VE is an insult to the consumer.

The Pacific is a very ergonomic experience. Imo.

I had an Epiphone Les Paul SL, sunset yellow, LOVED IT - it was on par or better than Affinity especially in the neck finish, but the tuners sucked....

HazyPurple

You've gotta get up!, to get down!
Silver Member
May 5, 2020
UK
I had an Epiphone Les Paul SL, sunset yellow, LOVED IT - it was on par or better than Affinity especially in the neck finish, but the tuners sucked....
Yeah man, the selector switch is cheap on the Squire.

I expect inconsistent captivation and fluidity on any budget tuner.