Chip in lacquer

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by SonOfLerome, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talk Member

I use a razor blade with all but the center covered with a piece of scotch tape and lightly run the blade over the glue with the tape protecting the rest of the finish.

StummerJoe and SonOfLerome like this.
  2. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Nitro does not chip like that. I believe that Poly breaks off in sheets. Old Fender necks do show wear at the areas of the neck where it touches the human skin and discolors (darkens) a bit. I believe that is all this is. Some of the 90's-to-early 2000's Fenders had a flash coat of Nitro added to a poly coating, but I believe the poly coat was added first.

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

That would not even register on my radar. All of my guitars have worse dings than that. It's gonna happen if you play it. Especially if you gig with it.

Tguitarfloyd and SonOfLerome like this.
  4. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

it's an '18.

5. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

Chean it with Naphtha, possibly carefully remove any loose flakes. Add super glue in layers. Use adhesive backed sand paper on small wooden squares or use two sided tape to attach the sandpaper and then sand the area.

Do not sand with just sandpaper and your fingers.

Go to the StewMac web site and look through their many how to vids and find the ones about finish repair.

I have done finish repairs a number of times successfully....But I’m no expert.

Good luck

StummerJoe and SonOfLerome like this.
  6. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

It DOES make a difference. Poly fixes will look like a drop of mineral oil on top of water when you use superglue. Just the way it is.

Drop filling with superglue, true oil, or lacquer is really the only way to go. I prefer to use lacquer over super glue because it will wear the same. Super glue IS very effective however and will melt the finish edges around the chip to blend very nicely. But so will lacquer. True oil is also a fine alternative. Clear nail polish is fantastic, as others have noted.

Myself, I wouldn't worry about it too much and just rock it. Both your body and neck are nitro, so get used to it and enjoy! The only alternative is to keep it in your case, on the stand, or hanging on the wall.

EDIT : You're off to a good start. Take your time building layers then level it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    SonOfLerome likes this.
  7. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

That works best on flat surface areas, not so much for convex surfaces.

SonOfLerome likes this.
  8. Tguitarfloyd

Tguitarfloyd Strat-Talk Member

Just wondering...what make and model of guitar is this? From the pictures it seems to have a glued on maple fingerboard. Late 60s Strat or a reissue of some kind?

9. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

Sorry, just seen this. It’s a classic 50’s series with lacquered neck and nitro body.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.