Chunky necked Fenders

Red Bread

Strat-O-Master
Feb 1, 2019
Green mountains
So I have a good friend who prefers a Gibson style neck,,,or I should say chunky’r C or slight V style neck
Well he’s got an itch after all these years to pick up a Strat but is try’n to find one with little more meat on it then I prefer
Chunkiest I own is my Baja Teley
I was thinking fat head style something with a little back to it
But there’s so many different neck and model variation with Fender I figured I’d throw out the question here see what ya all think
What model or years get thick on the necks?

Rob Moreno

Strat-O-Master
May 28, 2017
Tokyo
The original Jeff Beck signature strat had a baseball bat neck. Fattest neck I've ever played on a strat. I've heard that Fender slimmed it down a bit in the mid nineties but it still may be quite chunky compared to a standard strat.

Mr C

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2016
New Zealand
The mid c on my custom shop 66 is very much like a 60’s les Paul profile.

The av64 tele I have as a pretty chunky neck too.. at least compared to modern Fenders

hcski25

Strat-O-Master
Sep 28, 2015
Boston
The Robert Cray is on the chunkier side, but not a big neck. There's always the option to buy a loaded body and then add a warmoth or musikraft neck. The warmoth 59 roundback is a great profile for gibson fans. He could a conversion neck to stick with the Gibson scale length.

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
So I have a good friend who prefers a Gibson style neck,,,or I should say chunky’r C or slight V style neck
Well he’s got an itch after all these years to pick up a Strat but is try’n to find one with little more meat on it then I prefer
Chunkiest I own is my Baja Teley
I was thinking fat head style something with a little back to it
But there’s so many different neck and model variation with Fender I figured I’d throw out the question here see what ya all think
What model or years get thick on the necks?

Which Gibson neck? The 59 style is big and fat whereas most of gone 60’s are much slimmer more like the Fender C. I prefer fat 59 style and love my EJ neck (a fat soft V) and my Am Original 50’s Tele which is a big fat U shape.

RangerJay

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 16, 2016
DFW
The EJ has a feel similar to a '59 Les Paul Reissue. Very stable neck, and very comfortable to play. You could probably bludgeon someone to death with one and it would still be in tune.

Red Bread

Strat-O-Master
Feb 1, 2019
Green mountains
I’d have to say I think he prefers a flatter fret board and a deeper C or you could say soft V
At lest that’s what I get from his guitars
For me Gibson’s tend to have flatter boards compared to Fender
Wider string spaces
If that makes since to you

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
I’d have to say I think he prefers a flatter fret board and a deeper C or you could say soft V
At lest that’s what I get from his guitars
For me Gibson’s tend to have flatter boards compared to Fender
Wider string spaces
If that makes since to you

That is the EJ neck, fat soft V and 12 inch radius just like a Gibson.

My AV52 Tele has the thickest neck of any guitar I’ve ever owned. Dunno if the current AMerican Originals are similar.

Yep same neck. I bought one two weeks ago, same fat U neck as the AV52 had.

Fenderdad1950

Strat-Talker
Feb 10, 2019
Albuquerque
The original Jeff Beck signature strat had a baseball bat neck. Fattest neck I've ever played on a strat. I've heard that Fender slimmed it down a bit in the mid nineties but it still may be quite chunky compared to a standard strat.
I had an original Jeff Beck strat, and the neck was thick. It was in that metallic purple and this guy in this band just had to have it because it was, as far as I know; the only one that made it to Albuquerque. I sold it to him for $300 over what I paid for it. To this day I lament selling it. 99c8ec6a1ef39ef819d14593589c53c8.jpg
It was exactly the same as the one in this pic. That color Jeff Beck models, now being the most money if resold.
Hindsight is 20-20

T Guitar Floyd

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 27, 2014
Arizona
My AO 50s Strat has a fat deep neck. Also comes with a 9.5 radius fingerboard. I'm mostly a vintage style guy, but I love that AO! :thumb:

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
My AV52 Tele has the thickest neck of any guitar I’ve ever owned. Dunno if the current AMerican Originals are similar.

Yes, the American Original '50s Tele should have the same neck shape as the AV '52 Tele - except of course the American Original has the 9.5" radius and the larger frets.

My AO 50s Strat has a fat deep neck. Also comes with a 9.5 radius fingerboard. I'm mostly a vintage style guy, but I love that AO! :thumb:

And the AO '50s Strat should be the same neck shape (except for the radius and frets) as the AV '56 Strat - which of course is a variation of that 10/56 "Soft V" neck.