Chunky necked Fenders

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Red Bread, Feb 14, 2019.

1. ntotoro

ntotoro Strat-O-Master

The CS68/69 and the AVRI 70’s (not sure about the MiM 70’s, never played one) have fairly chunky U-shaped necks. They seem fit more comfortably in my hand and lie in there more nicely than a 10/56 or EJ neck.

2. space

space Strat-O-Master

my 79 strat = chunky neck

3. tstone2

tstone2 Strat-Talker

I have a 2018 Deluxe Stratocaster (MIM) with large headstock and a 12" radius fret board and what they call a modern C-shaped neck. I find the neck to be a bit beefy and it took a while to get used to it even with fairly large hands, it is tougher than say an Ibby flat rad the thin neck profile. I like it, it's an awesome guitar but perhaps not for everyone.
    6--.jpg

4. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talker

Well my buddy likes a 10/56 neck
    So not as big as I thought up definitely chunky’r then what I find comfy

5. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

the neck on my Balktop Strat has got some meat on it... not too huge... a bit more beefy than most Modern C necks... it's a comfortable neck... I like it a lot...

6. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Blacktop Tele (maybe Strat but I don't have one of those) has a chunkier neck and why I like it.
    Triple Tele has the same neck style and maybe more of them around.

Starcaster by Fender (China made with big headstock) have chunky necks, reasonable price, I would suggest getting a fret level though. The newer Indonesian arrow headstock models are skinny just like Squiers (same factory).

Spectrum (sold by Walmart or Target or Best Buy) used guitars have a nice chunky neck. The one I have I paid $35 plus a fret level, and it hangs on the play wall displacing MIM/MIA... So I'd check out the 'Sawtooth' guitars on Walmart as they may be similar.

7. killisnoo

killisnoo New Member!

There’s always the option of going with a Warmoth “Boat” neck, or an Elliot Mechanic (Mechanicland) if you could find one.

8. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

If we're talking Fenders I don't think you'll find a much chunkier neck than what's on the Richie Kotzen signature Stratocaster. It's massive...

9. jneilson

jneilson Strat-Talk Member

My Classic Series 70's reissue has a nice beefy neck. I can really squeeze into it when I'm doing some crazy bends.

10. Soul31

Soul31 Strat-Talker

I believe the AVRI '62 HotRod Strat had the largest production neck they made outside of the Custom Shop, larger than the SRV or Mayer models. I think it's a 9.5 radius though.

11. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Strat-Talker

For a comfortable U on a strat neck, the 70's reissues, either US or Mexican, can't be beat, however, they are 7.25" radius-- I don't play G-sons because the difference in radius is too much for me.

The AV56 has a 10/56 neck that is almost Nocaster fat, but the soft V makes it more playable; my tacit assumption is that the new AO 50's uses this neck with a 9.5" radius. I think it uses the PV '59 pickups, which are killer. If I played LPs, I'd prolly want a strat with a maple 9.5" fretboard, so the AO 50's would be my starting point.

12. jostan

jostan New Member!

My American Original 60's strat has a chunky neck. the 50's even slightly chunkier!

13. Twangothan

Twangothan New Member!

My Jerry Donahue Tele has a massive neck and I love it!