Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall, London

Mr Jagsquire

Strat-O-Master
Sep 26, 2020
Berkshire
I saw him at The Albert Hall for his 70th birthday series of gigs, again with Andy Fairweather Low as warm up: Andy was excellent and chatted between songs. Eric was excellent, though hardly spoke all evening. I bought the Blue Ray of that concert (no doubt a mix of the different nights) and they must have editted him saying 'thank you' after each song for the disc, because he didn't do it the night we were there. :D I like to think I can spot the two of us in the audience on a couple of songs, but we were a long way up.

It was definitely a 'bucket list' event for me as I'd always wanted to see him and I'd only been to the Albert Hall once before to see a more minor gig.

Hope you enjoyed it and some decent weather here this weekend too as a bonus (I live about 30 miles away from London) :)

Mansonienne

Mod admin
Staff member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2015
Paris suburbs, France
I saw him at The Albert Hall for his 70th birthday series of gigs, again with Andy Fairweather Low as warm up: Andy was excellent and chatted between songs. Eric was excellent, though hardly spoke all evening. I bought the Blue Ray of that concert (no doubt a mix of the different nights) and they must have editted him saying 'thank you' after each song for the disc, because he didn't do it the night we were there. :D I like to think I can spot the two of us in the audience on a couple of songs, but we were a long way up.

It was definitely a 'bucket list' event for me as I'd always wanted to see him and I'd only been to the Albert Hall once before to see a more minor gig.

Hope you enjoyed it and some decent weather here this weekend too as a bonus (I live about 30 miles away from London) :)
Yes it was great, and today was beautiful. Spent it meandering along Southbank
20220508_155957.jpg 20220508_155323.jpg

BuckNekkid

Strat-O-Master
Nov 28, 2016
Virginia, USA
77 years old and still feeling the groove. @Mansonienne
After watching the YT videos of The Lady In The Balcony, I just had to have the CD. Watching them, it's hard to tell -- but not impossible -- that age and infirmity have affected his fingers; "Slowhand" has truly become slower. But his sense of timing, phrasing and knowledge of the fretboard is so precise that he finesses the lead solos that he once would have been blowing speakers over. He's always been a tasty player (IMO), but now the added subtlety imposed by his condition lends true artistry to witness.

stylemessiah

Strat-Talker
Dec 11, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Missed my shot at Ray Charles and BB King when I had the chance. Vowed to see all other greats if they get within 500 miles of me. Hoping he heads West soon.

Finally got to see BB toward the end. He did more talking than playing but it was a great show.

I missed narrowly seeing SRV, and Clapton during the Journeyman tour (and then 20 years later - he didnt tour here for 20 years), but i did manage to see B. B. ....in fact only concert ive ever been to. Was proper good, he definitely had a presence, back in the early 90's and probably funnily enough at his prime, 4th row centre stage...i posted a bit about it here

Last edited by a moderator:

SurfsUp

Senior Stratmaster
May 18, 2016
Aff-Ma-Heid, Ontario
Missed my shot at Ray Charles and BB King when I had the chance. Vowed to see all other greats if they get within 500 miles of me. Hoping he heads West soon.
I got to see BB three times, in various stages of his career.
First show, 1994, he was able to stand, boogie, and put on a hellofa show.
Next, 2006, he still was able to put on the same show, musically, but remained seated throughout.
Lastly 2011 maybe 12? Man he didn't look good at all. Rambled more than anything. Forgot the songs he was playing, completely confused. I was angered, as it was as if he were there for the promoters gain only.

Getting back to the OP's post ¬ dang!!!!! So lucky. Seen EC 4 times, and if he ever comes back to Toronto I'm there. Cost is no concern. Not that I'm rich, just stupid with my money, lol.....PLEASE come back to North America for a few runs. I see all these posts of shows he's doing in Europe and man am I jelly....

Clickitysplit

Strat-O-Master
May 25, 2021
Temecula, CA
I missed narrowly seeing SRV, and Clapton during the Journeyman tour (and then 20 years later - he didnt tour here for 20 years), but i did manage to see B. B. ....in fact only concert ive ever been to. Was proper good, he definitely had a presence, back in the early 90's and probably funnily enough at his prime, 4th row centre stage...i posted a bit about it here
Good for you and BB. In the 80s and early 90s at different times I think he and Ray Charles came through the Bacchanal in San Diego (Kearny Mesa, to be exact). I remember thinking then that I’d run out of chances to see them, and I was right, but I always duffed it off anyway. But I did see SRV down at the Sports Arena a couple months before he was killed, not that I knew his time was running out…

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
I did manage to see B.B. Just once. I was about 20 ft from the stage. Man I learned a lot from watching him. It changed the way I developed as a musician. Playing in the pocket with just a few correct notes. That was 1983 or 84.

stylemessiah

Strat-Talker
Dec 11, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I got to see BB three times, in various stages of his career.
First show, 1994, he was able to stand, boogie, and put on a hellofa show.
Next, 2006, he still was able to put on the same show, musically, but remained seated throughout.
Lastly 2011 maybe 12? Man he didn't look good at all. Rambled more than anything. Forgot the songs he was playing, completely confused. I was angered, as it was as if he were there for the promoters gain only.

Getting back to the OP's post ¬ dang!!!!! So lucky. Seen EC 4 times, and if he ever comes back to Toronto I'm there. Cost is no concern. Not that I'm rich, just stupid with my money, lol.....PLEASE come back to North America for a few runs. I see all these posts of shows he's doing in Europe and man am I jelly....

When B. B. last played in Australia, not too long before his passing, the press were just unkind (isnt that the way though, its a default setting these days), it broke my heart, i felt too that there was machinery behind him putting him out there when they should have had more respect for him

Man i wished everyone got to see him the way i did, in top form, **** hot band, and full of love for his audience and good humour. I'd always thought that "hummingbird" vibrato was just too good to be true, seeing it in person was, well, it made me forget abotu even trying to approach it, my dreams of a viable vibrato of my own died that night.

All hope of a decent vibrato died for a second time when i saw the 24 Nights DVD of Clapton's trademark "unanchored/unsupported" vibrato on White Room. I'll wait here while you go watch it. No wait, ill link it here. You watch the solo and that (bonkers wide) "unanchored/unsupported" vibrato (which comes immediately after one of those lovely trademark slow bends) and tell me youre not feeling inadequate...

Incidentally Claptons best haircut, which i call the Dougal...

Houdi Elbow

Strat-O-Master
Aug 9, 2021
UK
I saw Clapton on the Journeyman tour and on the From The Cradle tour, both times at the NEC in Birmingham, UK. Ok, I prefer his earlier recorded work, but he knows how to put on a great show.
And, the Royal Albert Hall, what venue!
Saw Bonamassa there in 2013, I think it's one of those iconic venues that everyone must try to visit if they can. 👍

Neil.C

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 3, 2012
Surrey, England
I saw Clapton on the Journeyman tour and on the From The Cradle tour, both times at the NEC in Birmingham, UK. Ok, I prefer his earlier recorded work, but he knows how to put on a great show.
And, the Royal Albert Hall, what venue!
Saw Bonamassa there in 2013, I think it's one of those iconic venues that everyone must try to visit if they can
. 👍
Seen some great shows there over the years.

SurfsUp

Senior Stratmaster
May 18, 2016
Aff-Ma-Heid, Ontario
When B. B. last played in Australia, not too long before his passing, the press were just unkind (isnt that the way though, its a default setting these days), it broke my heart, i felt too that there was machinery behind him putting him out there when they should have had more respect for him

Man i wished everyone got to see him the way i did, in top form, **** hot band, and full of love for his audience and good humour. I'd always thought that "hummingbird" vibrato was just too good to be true, seeing it in person was, well, it made me forget abotu even trying to approach it, my dreams of a viable vibrato of my own died that night.

All hope of a decent vibrato died for a second time when i saw the 24 Nights DVD of Clapton's trademark "unanchored/unsupported" vibrato on White Room. I'll wait here while you go watch it. No wait, ill link it here. You watch the solo and that (bonkers wide) "unanchored/unsupported" vibrato (which comes immediately after one of those lovely trademark slow bends) and tell me youre not feeling inadequate...

Incidentally Claptons best haircut, which i call the Dougal...

Absolutely!!!!

The third and last time I saw BB, was in 2012, found my old tix stubs......and he was late for the show. His band musta played solo for a good solid 20-30mins before BB was helped from backstage to his stool......his playing was sloppy, his ramblings between songs incoherent. I truly felt bad fore him, as I thought he was in medical distress. I honestly thought he was put there by a promoter who was in fact committing elder abuse.

It got so bad, that people were actually walking out. That was the worst. So disrepectful. BB was singing "The Saints Go Marching In" (ok, not my fav, lol...but) and people were walking out. I'll never forget BB saying during the song "and look, there the Saints go"

Sad.

As for that Clapton clip, man......he has it. I LOVE that EC era.