Clapton, "From the Cradle"

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by gcconspiracy, Jan 29, 2009.

1. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

Okay, so I've been getting more and more into Clapton since I got his Crossroads 2007 DVD for Christmas, and yesterday I bought his album "From the Cradle" off iTunes. Anyway, all that to say that I cannot stop listening to this album! I'd only heard Clapton's poppy stuff, but the man can play the blues! I am a huge fan of the blues, and a huge BB King, SRV, John Mayer fan, but now I have to add Mr. Clapton to that short list of amazing blues players!

2. Strat-Talk

Strat-Talk Administrator Staff Member

Admin Post
    It's a great album. I've had it quite a while but sometimes I get stuck on it and play it over and over and over again.

3. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

Aside from CREAM this, IMO, is Clapton's best album. He gets back to doing what he does best and does a good job of it. If you look at the list of players on this CD you'll probably recognize a couple of familiar names, too.

4. GregP

GregP Strat-Talker

I am still kind of partial to 461 Ocean Boulevard too, he does some amazing slide work on that one. Boy you guys must be young not to know of Clapton's love for the blues, he calls Robert Johnson the biggest influence on his music. He did a CD of nothing but Robert Johnson songs called Me And Mr Johnson as a tribute to the man. He started out playing in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers that at various times had a couple of other pretty good guitar players, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page.

...Greg

5. gcconspiracy

Yeah Greg, I have to admit I am probably on the younger side of things. It's bizarre though, I'm a massive John Mayer fan, and his music has turned me onto Clapton, BB King, SRV, and Jimi! Kind of a backwards way of getting to know some classic guitarists, but that's how it happened for me!

-gcc

ps - I've got quite a list of Clapton I want to pick up in the near future, and that list includes "Me and Mr. Johnson", "24 Nights", "Riding with the King", and the original Crossroads DVD (2004 I think). If anyone has anything to add to that list, I'd be all ears!

6. GregP

GregP Strat-Talker

It goes both ways, I can't say I am that familiar with John Mayer but I guess I should give him a listen. I have the good fortune of having been around when all the artists you mentioned first made it (well BB was big even when I was a kid). I have always been a huge Clapton fan and have all of his early work before the pop stuff. Back in those days he just played what he wanted to and his albums were a really eclectic mix of old standards and some of his own stuff. Most of them bombed commercially. Motherless Children from 461 Ocean Boulevard is probably my all time favorite Clapton song but I don't know if I would recommend the CD as it is one of those eclectic mixes I talked about. Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek And The Dominos should be on your list, that was his collaboration with Duane Allman. You know what, I just put 461 Ocean Boulevard on and it is worth giving a listen. It may show you another side of Clapton you haven't heard.

...Greg

7. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

The Beano album with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers is a must. Amazing stuff from a young Clapton.

Also try Cream at the RAH 2005

8. stevo58

stevo58 Strat-Talker

Yeah, From the Cradle was the first Clapton album that I really liked since Beano. Not that there wasn't a good recording or two between, but he just does blues best. Mature playing, mature singing, great record. Still the Clapton CD I'm most likely to play.

steven

9. gcconspiracy

thanks guys! By the way Greg, if you do check out John Mayer, be sure to start with his Blues Trio Album entitled TRY! It is, in my opinion, by far his greatest work yet.

10. johnreardon

Not really a fan of his stuff. Bought Room For Squares and also have him on the Crossroads DVD. Talented player, but a bit too bubblegum pop for me

11. gcconspiracy

john, I understand the over-the-top-pop feel of room for squares, but it's kinda like Clapton... you gotta check out his blues work! I'm not a huge fan of Mayer's pop work either, but his blues work absolutely blows me away... TRY! was in my CD player for a very long time when it came out, and it still gets serious play-time.

12. GregP

GregP Strat-Talker

Thanks, I think I will pick it up tomorrow. Its about time I had some new music to listen to.

Have you heard any Buddy Guy? My blues books have a lot of his licks in them. I really like his version of Mustang Sally.

...Greg

13. bobmac

bobmac Strat-Talker

Yeah, From the Cradle, one of ECs best ever. I especially like his version of Otis Rush's Groaning the Blues, EC is a beautiful animal when he cares to be and he goes all out on that track.
    By the way, neither Beck nor Page ever played in Mayall's Bluesbreakers, they played with the Yardbirds after EC left that band. Mayall has had some excellent guitar players especially in the early years - EC, Peter Green, Mick Taylor being the most outstanding.

14. Strat-Man-Do

Strat-Man-Do Senior Stratmaster

Lot of GREAT work out by Clapton. The Bluesbreakers LP with Mayall is an all-time favorite. Back before Cream when he didn't sing and did nothing but play Blues.

I had Pilgrim in the player the other day. Thats a very different CD that just sounds Great.

15. johnreardon

Yep, he didn't sing in the early days. The Beano album has his first outing as a vocalist, with Ramblin on my Mind.

16. Strat-Man-Do

Strat-Man-Do Senior Stratmaster

You know what kinda surprized me John.

When Cream did their thing and got back together for the Albert Hall and Madison Square Garden dates I wondered how Eric would sound with the Strat.

I can't get over how similiar he sounded to the Dual Humbucker Tone of the SG/Marshall set-up. The EC Strat with the 57 Twin RIs really nailed the Tone.

What I really liked about Creme, combination of Ginger Bakers drum work/Erics playing. Tales of Brave U. and White Room, the drums are fantastic.

17. johnreardon

I was at the RAH on the last night and despite suffering from flu, he was amazing. His solo on Stormy Monday was fantastic.

I think people often place too much emphasis on the equipment. It's the person who contributes most to the overall sound, not the guitar and amp. Yes they add flavours, but it's really down to the person; their fingers, hands, body, mind and any other bits that contribute.

18. bobmac

bobmac Strat-Talker

Agree again, I only saw the DVD not the real concert but that solo on Stormy Monday totally blew me away, equal to Hendrix doing a slow blues like Red House.

Regarding ECs vocals, I prefer his earlier vocals - Cream, and D & the Doms to how he sings these days. Now he seems too strained, like he's trying sooooooo hard to be a bluesman with feeling. Back in the old days he wasn't trying he was doing. But even at his best he couldn't hold a candle to Jack Bruce, Jack has a superb blues voice.

19. hendrixfan

hendrixfan Senior Stratmaster

had,nt listened to it for ages just played really enjoyed it

20. gcconspiracy

ok, I was wondering about that... I've been looking into Clapton's early bands, and couldn't find any evidence of either Jeff or Jimmy ever working with the Bluesbreakers

I hope you dig the CD Greg, and yes I have recently been introduced to Buddy Guy. His micro-set on the Crossroads 2007 DVD is amazing! I love the James Brownesque vocal squeals! I've also got some Buddy Guy on my "to-buy" list!