Join Strat-Talk Today

Clapton late 90s Cradle, Live Blues Tours Strats

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by freddairy, Aug 8, 2019.

1. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talk Member

I thought I'd ask the experts.

I've been watching EC at Hyde Park 1999 and getting inspired. I've never been one for signature guitars but his tone on Five Long Years is incredible.

Where these guitars off the shelf American Signature models or the more pricey Custom Shop signatures during the late 90s?

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

Neither - his are most likely custom Master built.........but it's nearly identical to both versions, except he doesn't have the TBX anymore. I think in 1999 he was still using it. In 1999, he was still using Gold Lace Sensors. A bit part of the tone is the 25dB mid boost system powered by a 9V battery.

Don't you mean the Live in Hyde Park video from 1996 though, not 1999?

SAguitar and Alan Crossley like this.
  3. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Yeah on the video I'd say Gold Lace Sensors probably and mid boost engaged (no idea how much/10)
    Note the pickup selector seems to be set on the neck pickup which will (obviously) fill it out a lot.
    My EC is from 1996 and it will never sound like this video because 99% of it is his playing lol...
    Just kidding, or am I ??? ;)

4. freddairy

Thanks guys I'm totally lost on the Clapton Signature. I have a 56 RI that I was thinking I'd just put a overdrive pedal infront of to get me there but I'm oddly attracted to the Clapton sig. I was in highschool in the 90s and I remember seeing him scream on the SRV Tribute and the Hyde Park show. I've always wanted to try for that tone.

What do you think of this?
    https://reverb.com/item/26559988-fender-eric-clapton-blackie-stratocaster-1999

3bolt79 and EC Strat-boy like this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

I think it's priced 2-300 too high but it looks minty......

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

I believe that the Clapton 25dB mid boost is really 12-13 dB of mid boost and another 12-13 dB of overall boost. I have connected an equalizer between my guitar and amp and set a mid boost of around 12 dB, centered around 400-500 Hz, and sure enough it was recognizable as that Clapton tone. I'm not claiming I sounded like Eric however! For me, if I want that tone it's much easier to use an equalizer than to equip one or more guitars with a battery powered mid-boost amplifier and the associated controls.

Also consider that many Fender amps have a big mid scoop. Right around 12-14 dB of it as it turns out. So the Clapton mid-boost into a mid-scooped Fender amp is really not far from a "normal" guitar into an amp with flat equalization.

Fender mid-scoop, tone controls set to center position, from Tone Stack Caculator:

fender_mid_scoop.png

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  7. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

$1,924.02 CAD + Shipping
    I paid 1700 CAD for mine new. So inflation doesn't come into play much which is nice.
    It looks dead mint. Makes mine look like a beater haha.

8. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

The Custom Shop has built EC's guitars since the 80's.

I love the Live in Hyde Park concert. Clapton at his best in my opinion. I wish there were an audio of that concert!

Kester, 3bolt79 and EC Strat-boy like this.
  9. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

It’s an awesome guitar. Don’t hesitate to pull the trigger. One of the best you’d ever own.

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Can't beat the seller. I bought my first strat from Rainbow Guitars in 1979. They've moved since then, but right around the corner...

3bolt79 and Nate D like this.
  11. freddairy

They knocked 100 off the price and are going to string it up and set it up with my favorite gauge of strings.
    I'm the anti-Signature model guy but I'm excited.

12. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Those Clapton guitars are great.

EC Strat-boy and 3bolt79 like this.
  13. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-O-Master

When I first tried out an EC strat in 1991 I didn't know it was a signature strat – I could've cared less back then – but the feel of the neck and the tones I was getting from that guitar were really special to me. I wasn't shopping for a guitar at the time so passed it up. Years later, I still remember how great it sounded, so eventually (some 25 years later) I sought one out. It was a newer model with the noiseless pickups. Initially I was thrilled to finally have one, but after a few months had passed I started to wonder why it didn't sound as good as I remembered. Later that year I bought another one with the Lace Sensor golds. That was it – that was the sound I had remembered and wanted. Anyway, I thought I'd share that experience. Congratulations on your guitar purchase. I think you'll be very happy with it.

14. freddairy

I got it yesterday.
    Really nice playing Strat with a different sound than all my others.
    I have a 2 '56 RIs 2 '54 RIs, and a '65 RI from the 2012-2017 American Vintage run. I hold those guitars in the highest respect of Fenders and I've had a few Custom Shop models.
    This guitar has equally impressive build quality.

I'm enjoying the vintage features mashed with some of the more modern(well modern for 1989) features this guitar has.

One standout and I've held this belief for awhile. Vintage frets for Fender were different pre 2012.

I took the plastic off the pickguard I felt sorta bad doing that seeing that it remained on there for 20 years.

Rob Moreno, EC Strat-boy and SAguitar like this.
  15. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

I have very similar thoughts on mine too. Just hands down excellent build quality and I love the vintage frets as well.

And the mid boost is killer

16. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

I like the boost and Lace Gold combination, don't like the frets, don't like the 1-ply guard, don't like the 6-screw bridge, don't like the tuners.

17. Guitarmageddon

vms2.jpg

You might like the one on the right - Gold Lace Sensors, Clapton Boost, 22 medium jumbo frets, thick neck, and 2 point trem.....upgraded Squier Deluxe Strat.....

Swampash likes this.
  18. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Sweet

19. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-Talker

I think his 335 tones on that show blows the strat away. Just my opinion tho.... This is after all Strat-Talk. Flame suit on.... :)

freddairy likes this.
  20. freddairy

I hear you. I love Cream era Beano Gibson etc up to Derek and the Dominoes. I always thought Clapton sort of lost it after he stopped using Brownie. Which I feel is a popular thing to do as a guitarists is bash the later stuff. I'm guilty of it.

But I was 12 when the Cradle came out and I have to admit some of that really got to me when I first started playing guitar. I have to a point closeted that influence as I have grown as a guitarist and played with other musicians. Now at 37 I don't give a crap and I'm extremely nostalgic for that time in my life when I first learned about guitars. That was when I loved Strats, anything Clapton and lusted after mid 90s Clapton signature Strats.

This is probably just a "kick" I'm on but I'm watching lots of clips from that era and that Strat, especially on Five Long Years has a sound of it's own.

dante1963 and joebloggs like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.