Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Classic 18 watt marshall clone build

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by jeff h, Jul 18, 2017.

1. jeff h

jeff h Senior Stratmaster

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    Over the years I've seen a lot of people building those classic amps but the only kits I've seen are rather pricey. Has anyone built one of these from scratch? Looking for a project this winter and thought building one would be fun.

So if anyone here has built them before, where can I get schematics, and what is the best place to get the parts at a reasonable cost?

2. pwhite

pwhite Strat-Talker

May 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    I have not built any amps but I have 2 that I started and kinda just petered out for whatever reason. It's hard for me to get time to play guitar let alone build my amps. The way I see it there are two ways to do an amp build.
    1. Buy a kit, they may seem expensive up front and you will most likely use the parts that came in the kit. They usually have decent instruction for the build and most places have those instruction readily available for download.
    2. Source your own parts which in the end will most likely cost you more than the kit would have but, you can do it at your pace and buy the parts as you need them. This also gives you the opportunity to customize the parts you buy. I sourced parts for the 2 I started and in the end I could have just bought kits cheaper.

There are other things to consider when building though, like what skill level you have with a soldering iron. How much time can you dedicate to the build, will you rush through it. Have you considered build maybe a champ, I see a lot of people cutting their teeth on the 5F1 because it's a really easy build for first timers. For me I have the soldering skills and the electronics background to do the builds, the time I just do not have. I wish you luck with whichever you decide on, and hope you document the build, I do have time at work to admire a good build.

3. pwhite

pwhite Strat-Talker

May 24, 2015
    South Carolina

4. radstringz

radstringz Strat-Talker

Jun 26, 2011
    NE Pennsylvania
    I have an 18watt variant built into an old Peavey practice amp. Plenty loud for any venue. I salvaged the cabinet, chassis, and faceplate, drilled a few holes, slapped her together and we blow minds when I gig. Not so much from the audience but from other guitar players. It pushes a 10" Eminence Legend, takes pedals well, and doesn't break your back. 1504593783300.jpg 1504593794466.jpg

Tube ToneChaser and Believer7713 like this.

5. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany