1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Classic Player 50s Strat Controls

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by stucaster, Mar 15, 2011.

1. stucaster

stucaster Strat-Talker

Hi all - 1st post here!
    I've just bought a Classic Player 50's Strat (2 tone s/b). This is a fantastic guitar and I'm loving playing it.
    I'm a bit unsure about the controls however.
    I know it has a super switch, and that position 4 is bridge and neck pickup, but it's the controls I'm not sure about - volume is obviously master volume and tone tone 1 is neck, as you'd expect, but tone 2 seems to control the bridge tone. All the literature I can find says that tone 2 should work the mid pickup as normal.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?
    I'm not complaining by the way - it's really useful!

2. dna9656

dna9656 Former Member

Go to Fender.com, then support, service diagrams. then Stratocaster Service Diagrams. Click on the 'download' for your 50s Classic. Your guitar is on the top of the list, it will explain how the switching and controls work. HNGD to you! I got my Daphne Blue Classic 50s about 3 weeks ago, very sparklely sound, but won't keep up with ZZ Top, at least not through my DSL 50. The Alnico 3 magnets in the pickups just don't have a strong a signal as my ears are used to. I'm looking to install the 59 Professionals from Guitarfetish. I did install an N-Tune on-board tuner, changed the pick guard to a bwb parchment color. Kept the 8 pickguard screws though. It plays very nicely very nice; a definate keeper!

3. fenson

fenson ----------------------

Hi weclcome to the forum .Is it a used guitar sounds like someone moved the wire from the mid tone to the bridge. If new could be a factory mistake.

Your wiring should look like this minus the added connection , if you are handy you could check it and follow this diagram to have the 2nd tone work for both the mid and bridge!
    Wiring Diagram

the classic player 50 has a 5 way switch not a super switch (stock) . The positions are called 1 through 5.

The #1 position is all the way down away from you . It is the bridge pickup alone, next is #2 it is the bridge pickup and middle pickup. # 3 is mid alone #4 is mid and neck pickup #5 is neck alone.

The pickups are Fenders 57/62 set with a RWRP mid pickup which allows hum cancelling in #2 & 4 . OH RWRP means reverse wound , reverse polarity .

If it is new take it back if you can and have a service guy correct it. He probably would hook it up so you have tone on both the bridge and mid no charge. IMO

4. fenson

I went and looked for him they don't have any Classic players listed in the service diagram page . I thought this Seymour Duncan to be as good.:)

I think I mentioned to you before also ,that the Classic 50 and 60 do not come with A3 mags. its A5;)

This fellow has the Classic player 50 also ,not the classic 50

5. dna9656

dna9656 Former Member

http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/stratocaster/013-1002B_SISD.pdf

6. dna9656

dna9656 Former Member

You didn't see "classic 50s listed on the top of the list? Is that a different guitar? So you have a model 01411023 and not a m/n 0131002. What do you suppose the wirng differences are? I guess they could work differently, but I wasn't aware they had the wiring choices of today. I thoght they had nothing but 3 way switching till the late 60s maybe early 70s but what do I know?

7. fenson

He has a CLASSIC PLAYERS not a CLASSIC , they are different guitars;)

I didn't suspoese they where that much different. But I didn't want to confuse the issue by having him look for a diagram that wasn't listed , so I put up a generic diagram which offers the addition for the use of that control for both.

The 5 way didn't come out in strats till 77 I think.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  8. T-Bodz Terry B.

T-Bodz Terry B. Most Honored Senior Member

Welcome to Strat Land, enjoy.....

9. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

10. stucaster

stucaster Strat-Talker

11. fenson

Well i guess I learned something today. I have never seen any ad that talked about them and nothing in the specs. indicates a super switch. I don't think. Strange but ture!;)

Yes the over view does talk about special switching but the specs. don't describe what that is. Strange

http://www.fender.com/en-CA/products/search.php?partno=0141102303

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  12. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right!

Hmmm...? Very interesting!

13. fenson

I would take a look if I where you.

14. miurasv

miurasv Strat-O-Master

Fenson who is extremely learned on all things Fender contacted me regarding some switching info on the CP50 as he knows I have one. Here is a pic of the sticker that's attached to the scratchplate. It says it has 'Custom Switching' but I don't know if this means it has a super switch. I know that it has 5 positions and position 4 is neck and bridge. I've asked somebody to send me a switching diagram but don't know if he will oblige.

Attached Files:

15. fenson

Thanks miurasv must be a super switch as shown in the thread Thaus posted then. So your guitar has the neck and bridge in #4 . Guess that means another mistake in the Fender specs. I always thought the super switch where used in conjuction with mini switchs and the like.IDK don't feel very learned right know LOL
    I have seen many demo of this guitar and though there may be some that go into the neck and bridge being #4 . I have never seen them, I wasn't really looking though.

Say what pickups are controlled by the tone controls?

Thanks again!

16. TerryM

TerryM Strat-Talker

I've been following this thread throughout the day. (I even downloaded the Strat-Talk iPhone app to check on you guys. :D )

I brought my '50s Classic Player out to mess around with the switches, but work and family obligations kept me from my research today.

The "custom switching" and limited documentation makes sense in a warped sort of way--when I bought a Fender Jaguar Classic Player Special HH earlier this year, there was limited documentation or explanation about the reconfigured switching on the pickups.

Hopefully I'll have time to try again tomorrow.

Also, if anyone has a link to the parts list for the '50s Classic Player (not on the Fender site... or at least not properly listed) I would love to know the Fender part number for the tremolo bar (it's not the vintage strat arm... don't use it).

17. fenson

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  18. fenson

19. stucaster

stucaster Strat-Talker

Fenson, I can confirm the only 2 is hum cancelling and not 4, in keeping with the bridge / neck theory. All positions sound great!
    Thanks everyone for all their thoughts and research - I'm pleased my first thread has been an interesting one!
    Cheers

20. miurasv

miurasv Strat-O-Master

Below is the reply I received from the chap with the Custom Switching Diagram that I asked to send me a pic of it.

"Hi Steve, sorry for the delay - I can't send you a copy of the custom switching as I don't have a scanner but will describe it. it has normal 5 way switch (top to bottom 54321) 5 neck p/up only. 4 neck & bridge. 3 middle p/up only. 2 middle & bridge. 1 bridge p/up only."

Position 4 is Neck and Bridge then.