Classic player 50s

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Adf91081, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Adf91081

Adf91081 Strat-Talk Member

Hi, I’m looking at potentially buying one of these secondhand, I like it As it feels like a vintage institution and love the neck profile, but I’m also toying l with the idea of just going fullboard and getting an American pro... I originally wanted a USA made strat but I prefer the neck on the CP... any thoughts? Also, I was Wondering if anyone knew whether the pickups in the classic player are actually American made, such as those you would find in a vintage series strat? Or are they basically Mexican made to sound like the American vintage single coils? Thanks in advance

guitarman1984 likes this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I bought mine because I preferred the neck to the American Standard/Series 14 years ago. It's a nice guitar, the pickups sound good. The vintage locking tuners are annoying, I eventually swapped them for a vintage slotted set.

3. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

If you like the Classic Player (many of us do), you probably won't like the Am Pro. The Am Pro is a good guitar and there's no doubt about it but it is a completely different guitar.

The Classic Player Strat story is that it was designed by Fender Custom Shop Master Builder Dennis Galuszka. They were also apparently built by a specifically trained team for the task. I've got a Classic Player 60's and the care and attention is at the same level as my Eric Johnson strat so I have no doubt they were good guitar builders. The bridge according to Fender is a Custom Shop piece. I'm not sure about the tuners. The electronics look the same as my American Strat. The pickups are often advertised as American Vintage Single-Coil Strat but they are more specifically Fender 57/62 pickups which are generally appreciated. I don't know where they're made but the recipe and components would be the same regardless of location.

If I didn't have 3 strats I'd be happy only having the Classic Player.

Bladesg and Stratwrangler like this.
  4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Id choose the Classic Player 50's over an Am Standard or Pro just for the neck profile and the pickups. Every time.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  5. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I would base my choice upon the neck. I like the narrower, vintage width. But, I also like more shoulder to the neck. If the pickups are like the Classic 50s, it's a version of the 57/62's, using a plastic bobbin. I couldn't tell any difference in sound.

6. achar073

achar073 Strat-Talk Member

I have a classic 50s lacquer. Tbh, I think I prefer it to the american pro guitars I've played. Love the 50s soft v neck profile and not a fan of the "deep c" on the american pros. Just my preference. American pro are still fantastic guitars though.

Stock pickups on this guitar sound great. I suspected they were a mexican made version of the 57/62s, which some commenters confirmed. They certainly sound like that.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  7. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

<---- Classic Player Strats are special :)

8. Adf91081

Thanks everyone, that’s really helpful, think I’ll go for it!

9. Adf91081

Classic player that is :)

10. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

I've had many strats over the years and the CP60 I had was up there in quality with the MIAs.

I think the CP50 is just as well made.

Go for it.

11. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

I replaced an American Standard Strat with my 50's Classic Player it is a much better guitar IMO .

Thrup'ny Bit and Andrew Wasson like this.
  12. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Classic player 50s are great guitars. Beware the pickup wiring is different and you get the neck+bridge combo (tele-ish sound) instead of the n+m. However, there's a ghost position in the switch where you can get also the n+m, therefore I usually say they have a 6 way switch lol.
    Here is mine and in the first video you see all the 6 positions.
    In the second one you see a side by side comparison with a Squier Classic Vibe 50 made in China and a 1982 Fender Squier Series (so called First issues) JV made in Japan.

I LOVE the neck in these classic players, somewhat fatter than the regular modern c, but not too thick.

jtoomuch, Andrew Wasson and tery like this.
  13. guitarman1984

Beware, classic 50s (lacquer or poli), are different strats from classic players. I mean they are quite different models with very different specs.

14. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I, too, bought it for the fattish, soft V profile neck. When you buy a Fender you're really buying a neck profile you like with some other stuff attached to it. I, too, got rid of those "vintage locking tuners" for some regular split-posts.

The pickups are the 57/62 set which is many people's standard for classic Strat tone. They're US made, but that's of no consequence. Good pickups are good pickups.

Overall, my CP50s is a high-value guitar with a feature set I like.

15. Adf91081

Yeah, thanks, I’m referring it the classic player

16. achar073

[deleted]

17. achar073

Yes, but they are similar. Classic player has 9.5 radius, bigger frets, 2 point trem, slightly different pickup wiring and locking tuners. Neck profile and pickups are the same if I'm not mistaken.

Andrew Wasson and guitarman1984 like this.
  18. guitarman1984

Well, that's enough for me to say they are quite different! Pickups are 57/62 in the classic player, with fiber bobbin and cloth wiring, while the classi series has generic alnico v "vintage style" (plastic bobbin and wire if my memory serves me well).
    The classic player has some more "modern" appointments.

Tim S and sgarnett like this.
  19. achar073

Thanks, was not aware the pickups were different in these guitars. My sense was that, although there are differences, my experience with the classic series guitar have been great and therefore he should be very happy with the classic player.

20. guitarman1984

They are indeed both voiced like a "vintage" Strat, however, in my opinion, being the strat more or less the same guitar since 1954, these two are pretty different from each other (radius, frets, wiring, trem, pickups, tuners).
    Thanks Fender to keep us confused with your naming convention!!!!