Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic.. thoughts..

mikhailwatt

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 6, 2020
Austin, Tejas
A friend of mine had a '65 cherry red Duo-Sonic that was passed down through his family. I didn't like it, neck was very narrow, pickups very weak.

Mind you, this was in the early '80s... there was a scratch in the finish so we stripped it and put on a coat of danish oil (!?!) - put some hot Dimarzios in it and added a coil tap switch.
If it had been a Strat we should have been arrested. :oops::oops:

Will Lefeurve

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 1, 2016
Angleterre et France
A friend of mine had a '65 cherry red Duo-Sonic that was passed down through his family. I didn't like it, neck was very narrow, pickups very weak.

Mind you, this was in the early '80s... there was a scratch in the finish so we stripped it and put on a coat of danish oil (!?!) - put some hot Dimarzios in it and added a coil tap switch.
If it had been a Strat we should have been arrested. :oops::oops:
I think you should have been arrested anyway.. and maybe the death penalty for a Strat.. ha ha 🤣

bsman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 4, 2014
Storage B
I’ve got an LPB ‘offset series’ Duo Sonic SS I’ve had for five years or so. I really enjoy the short scale for a change, and I can get pretty convincing strat or tele tones out of it. Fun little guitar!

Slartybartfast

Strat-Talker
Aug 10, 2020
Ca.
Thanks for your input guys I really appreciate it. Its very rare that anything sparks my interest guitar wise these days, but for some reason this did.

I must say that after a pretty serious fretting hand injury a few years back, I do find a shorter scale easier to play. My Les Paul for example. I gather these are 24", but the originals were 22". Wow.. that's some reduction on a Strat board..

Great little Jazz piece too @dogletnoir .. thank you..
When I was a little kid my neighbor used to loan me a 22" Music Master that looked just like that. At the same time my older cousin had a Duo-Sonic, also a 22" in Olympic White, Cherry red shell pickguard and rosewood board. Both these guitars were pretty old by this time. The kid who was the big deal in town, killer player had a '68 Mustang (by this time just a few years old) that was the same colors as the Duo-Sonic but 24" with the cool whammy.

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA
I'm putting this out there because I know nothing whatsoever about these guitars. I haven't had the desire to buy another guitar for years, but one of these has come up used in my neck of the woods and its sparked my curiosity. The simplicity of it is one of the things that's grabbed me, along with the 24" scale length..

iu
Looks exactly like my mustang...
Except its different :D
Do like the shorter scale
P90s
Only dislikes
{
Switch location
Can't hear much if any difference twixt neck N bridge tone
}
But so what

marksound

Strat-O-Master
Mar 8, 2010
OK
As far as the short scale goes, consider that Ted Nugent played all his classic stuff on a 23.5" scale Byrdland.

And in live shows fired flaming arrows wearing a loincloth.

So there. :thumb:

Will Lefeurve

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 1, 2016
Angleterre et France
I had the MIM version of that guitar for a few years.

A really great and versatile guitar!

I recorded this original song using it.

http://chirb.it/6cO551

🙂
Good to hear your thoughts on the guitar @Sparque ... enjoyed the song too.. :thumb:
As far as the short scale goes, consider that Ted Nugent played all his classic stuff on a 23.5" scale Byrdland.

And in live shows fired flaming arrows wearing a loincloth.

So there. :thumb:
You do realise that Ted nicked the arrows and loincloth routine from me don't you.. ??? :D

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
They were (are) beginner/student guitars when I was a kid, couldn't wait to get rid of it and get a more professional guitar.

Same goes for Mustangs.
The 1st gen. Musicmaster that i own was made in the same factory by the same workers using pretty much
the same materials as a '56/57 Strat or Tele, and its smaller size and shorter scale aren't issues for me.
And at one point Todd Rundgren was using Mustangs on tour with Utopia back in the day, even though he
certainly could have chosen to play a different guitar.

The Classic Vibe Duo Sonic compares well with other Classic Vibe models i've played... of course, everyone
will have their own take on this, and that's OK.

Last edited:

fenderguy4life

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 18, 2019
usa
I had one. Shorter scale. Bends were super easy. My drummer and acoustic guitar player/singer liked how it sit in the mix. Creamy sound. Warm. My two cents.

MT Poteet

Strat-O-Master
Sep 10, 2021
Denco
The 1st gen. Musicmaster that i own was made in the same factory by the same workers using pretty much
the same materials as a '56/57 Strat or Tele, and its smaller size and shorter scale aren't issues for me.
And at one point Todd Rundgren was using Mustangs on tour with Utopia back in the day, even though he
certainly could have chosen to play a different guitar.

The Classic Vibe Duo Sonic compares well with other Classic Vibe models i've played... of course, everyone
will have their own take on this, and that's OK.

I didn't mean to offend any one, just stating my opinion, and I really don't care what anyone else plays.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A favorite guitarist of mine once said "give me a $30.00 guitar and I'll sound like me, give me a 3,000 and I still sound like me."

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
I didn't mean to offend any one, just stating my opinion, and I really don't care what anyone else plays.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A favorite guitarist of mine once said "give me a $30.00 guitar and I'll sound like me, give me a 3,000 and I still sound like me."
i was not offended in the slightest.
i was merely stating a dissenting opinion.
:)

Bigsbyguy

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 26, 2010
CA
Has anyone tried the "Off Set Series" Duo Sonic? The difference being its a string thru body.
I could see buying one in Capri Orange.