Classic Vibe Strat 50's 30 Day Review

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by ShoalsRanger, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ShoalsRanger

ShoalsRanger Strat-Talk Member

I posted this on another forum and thought I would copy the info here. Nothing too technical. Just a happy CV Strat owner.

Well, its been over a month since I purchased my Squier Classic Vibe Strat. This guitar came with high praise and now I can tell that the praise is well warranted.

The fretboard, even though it is heavily lacquered, is as smooth as silk...no "stickiness" here. The pickups sound great stock and I have no plans to do any swaps.

I am a new fan of the gold anodized pickguard cover on my Olympic White model. I love the feel of it against my pinky finger as I move it back and fourth, depending on where I am strumming. The pickguard doesn't show pick scratches which is pretty cool, it acts as its own shield, and it gives it a nice acoustic resonance when not plugged in.

The bridge has been solid thus-far and I haven't had any issues whatsoever from it. I blocked the trem not long after I bought it with a carefully cut wooden block since I do not use the trem arm, so it's pretty much hard-tailed. I can't honestly say it has gained sustain from the block, but I can say that it hasn't lost any.

The coolest thing to me on this guitar (besides the pups and the fretboard) is the tuners. The vintage tuners are awesome to say the least. I have changed the strings once and I think I have literally tuned the guitar 3 times (not counting the string change). The tuners are fantastic and the only way I would replace them is if something functionally goes wrong with them in the future. (BTW, I am using Slinky RPS 10's)

I can honestly see what all of the fuss was about with these guitars. Made in China? Who gives a crap. I own a hell of a guitar for the $300 bucks I paid for it. Hopefully my experience will be as positive after a years worth of playing.

Here are a few new pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nicotele likes this.
  2. widget

widget Strat-O-Master

that is a fine looking instrument.
    I like the pickguard too.
    I have the same guard on a black strat with a maple neck.
    I didn't like it much at first, but now i think it looks great.
    Congrats on the new git!

3. guitarman60

guitarman60 Senior Stratmaster

I bought the 60s in candy apple and am very pleased. I own several MIAs but I still like my CV. Love the white with gold guard and almost bought one. I just prefer the 60s board. Great looking guitar you have there. Play the crap out of it.

4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice review, thanks for that. And yes, it does look very good too.

5. bengt

bengt New Member!

I toatally agree! Don't let "Crafted in China" fool you! Best buy for the buck.
    Bought my Strat 2 coulor sunburst two months ago. Payed 440 USD in my hometown Warszawa-Poland. I know there are different prices owerseas than in EU. But what the heck, it's a gerat guitar and I love it. No mods planned! I'm no "gigger", just playing for myself with my Roland Micro Cube. Sounds great.

6. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

I have the same CV on my wall next to my much more expensive guitars and I concur with everything you said, except I don't care for the gold PG. I swapped mine for a nice parchment one. It's a great guitar, regardless of price.

[​IMG]

nicotele likes this.
  7. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

Congrats, again! I have feeling that Fender is scratching thier heads when they review the sale records on the CV line, where did we go wrong? or where did we go right? Guitars like these ( CV's ) are game changers! I have set me a goal to have one soon, I am a huge Buddy Holly fan, and the Burst with Maple F/B is the one for me, I hope.

.........poppa

8. StratGuy68

StratGuy68 Strat-O-Master

Trust me, Poppa, it will be! I'm a huge Buddy Holly fan too, and the day I plugged in a CV50's and heard those chimey Stratty pickups, I knew my Deluxe had to go. The one I played that day is the one I have now, and it perfectly nails all those great Buddy Holly tones. It also does a great Brownie impersonation in the middle/bridge position. Believe me, this is the one you'll want to be buried with!

9. ShoalsRanger

I love that look! I didn't think I would like the gold but I like it more than I thought...not just b/c of the color, but the feel and all the other stuff that goes with having an anodized pickguard.

The parchment looks awesome!! I also thought about Mint Green.

If I do switch it out I have to keep in mind that the pickups and knobs are that aged color, so I wouldnt want it to clash or be the exact same color. I also would want something vintage correct and I'm not educated enough on vintage strats to know what pickguard color would be correct with the Olympic White finish. Hell is the Olympic white finish a vintage color? I need do so some googling. LOL.

10. Astro1176

Astro1176 Senior Stratmaster

I have the same guitar. I tried to love the gold - made easier with Gilmour's white and gold guitar, but in the end I couldn't and swapped mie out for a min green. Great guitar, my most played instrument.

11. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Strat-Talk Member

That gold pick guard is wrong to me too. I like the white in the picture above.. Classy!

12. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Well "mint green" is certainly not vintage correct. For a start, most of the "mint green" plastic on the market is far too green - more like snot green. :cry: Mint green is supposed to be a copy of the colour that early 60s Strat scratchplates went over time. 50s Strats (and that's what your CV is a sort of copy of) never had this type of plastic, they had a single ply white guard secured by 8 screws. Mint green may (or may not!) look OK on a 60s type Strat, but not a 50s.

If you do want to change from the gold, you could go for white, or single ply parchment, which is a sort of aged white type of colour.

Olympic White is indeed a vintage Fender colour, one of the finest.

13. ShoalsRanger

Thanks a lot for the info!!

14. saintnautilus

saintnautilus New Member!

NGD! Ordered the same olympic white. The pick guard is more copper than gold, but that's ok. This was a factory sealed box and it played amazing out of the box. String height and intonation was spot on.

15. steben

steben Senior Stratmaster

50ties set up rules!

Don't forget a lot of the 60ties music was played on 50ties instruments