Join Strat-Talk Today

Classic Vibes?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Rounder44, Sep 13, 2019 at 10:12 AM.

1. Rounder44

Rounder44 Strat-Talk Member

Hi,

How are these guitars for experimenting? Goofing around with pick ups etc...

There's one locally a guy has upgraded with Seymour Duncan SSL-1 in the neck, SSL-1 RW/RP in the middle and an SSL-5 custom in the bridge. A Mojotone wiring kit was also installed which wires the bridge pickup to one of the tone controls.

$250.....

What's the appeal of these otherwise as opposed to a plain old Squier I see for $100 used....

Thanks!

R44

2. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

Play one and find out. All I can tell you is.....Classic Vibes aren't just your regular old squier you see for $100 bucks. They are the Top of the line Squiers and give MIM's a run for thier money ( I actually like them better, many people do)

3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Classic Vibes are incredible guitars. I have had tow of the teles and like them way more than the MIM counterparts. Not to mention those pickups in that one are great and for $250 that is a hell of a deal.

Ditchgator, Will Lefeurve and Grux like this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

They're a top notch pro level guitar that needs ZERO upgrading.....

$400 new.....but with those upgrades at $250 that's a STEAL!

What's the appeal? They are super high quality - gloss amber necks, great fit and finish, full thickness solid alder bodies. As good to many and to me as any Mexico or USA Fender. Awesome fret work. High quality vintage split shaft tuners. Comparing this to a $100 Squier is like night and day.

If it said FENDER on the headstock and was made in Mexico the guitar would be worth like $600-700 new. I can't say enough great things about them and Squier in general.

Go there not expecting some budget guitar....go there expecting to be blown away compared to other Squier stuff.....

5. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

6. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The CV's are 'mid range' guitars with (often) much higher end feel/vibe. The factory pups are VERY good IMO. Those SD pups are also very good. Depending on the condition of the guitar it might be worth $250. i.e. it should be in great condition (frets and finish) to command that price. JMO.

Ditchgator, Viking, macoshark and 2 others like this.
  7. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That could be one heck of a deal! Keep us posted.

Ditchgator likes this.
  8. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Strat-Talker

Only upgrade I've made to my CV 50's Tele was to Faraday the cavity, which made a great difference in blocking AC hum. Apparently the kitchen dishwasher throws off more EMI than the Russian Woodpecker.
    Oh, and after nearly 2 years of playing it I finally changed the strings that came on it.
    I ordered a set of compensated saddles for it recently.
    Eventually I might replace the pots to get a better taper, but otherwise it's well made and plays easily. Holds tune well, too.
    A lucky (and well-researched) first guitar purchase.
    Love my strat, but the Tele gets played several times a week, too, just because.

9. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

installing anything Seymour Duncan would be a serious DOWN grade, not up.

The CV Strats made in China are pretty close to "perfect" right out of the box. A setup for personal taste in strings and action, but that's about it.

10. Omar

Omar ✪✪ Miserable Old Curmudgeon ✪✪

Don’t GAS me up, please :D

Inhale...
    Exhale...
    Inhale...
    Exhale...

11. IronSchef

IronSchef Senior Stratmaster

the CVs are really well made guitars -- the neck is a bit slimmer than an MIM neck would be, and some folks don't get along w/ the thick gloss, but others (like me) love those necks -- I have used CV50s Strat and Tele necks on several partscaster builds and a CV50s Tele BSB I turned into a "Micawber" tribute :)

Ditchgator likes this.
  12. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

I love my 50s cv tele.

Bridge saddles are being swapped soon because I could not get rid of sitar buzzing.

Tge bridge pickup was shrill to my ears so I got a different one.

Other than that, stellar guitar.

johnnymg and Will Lefeurve like this.
  13. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

My thoughts entirely.. as a CV 50s Tele owner, I can quite honestly say.. its an incredible guitar as is. No need to mess.. just play.. :thumb:

Ditchgator, johnnymg and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  14. macoshark

macoshark Strat-Talker

My avatar shows 2 CVs and there all that's been said here. I like the neck on those a bit more than the AS pictured on the right I felt my action was a bit high on the SN CV on the left so I went the Ron Kirn way and leveled and crowned it. I Just can't handle any buzzing, especially if it's correctable

15. Ditchgator

Ditchgator Strat-Talker

Won't part with my CV 60s stratocaster and am getting the butterscotch blonde CV tele next month.:thumb::cool:

16. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Those grooved saddles sometimes introduce weirdness or rattle.

Mine, too, is a stellar guitar. :D

17. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

I've told this story countless times.... my dad started playing guitar around 1950, on either a Broadcaster or Nocaster. Through the years he had Strats, Jazzmasters, Jaguar and Coronado, and later CIJ, AVRI, MIA Fenders and Gibsons. Around 2010 I gave him a 60s CV Strat, which he played till he died. He often said "of all the guitars I've had, this is the best one" Is it exceptional? No, because a friend has one and it's very similar.

If an alien came to earth and said "What's a Strat sound like" it's the one I'm plugging in. It is the strat-iest Strat tone I know of, it bridges all eras. Those pickups are great, they just take time to get the height dialed in.

18. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    Sorry, but if it were me, I'd want a stock Classic Vibe with the original pickups... they're that good!

Don't get me wrong, I love Seymour Duncan, but if I were in the market for a Squier Classic Vibe I'd want the "authentic experience", which includes those awesome pickups.

My 2cents...

`

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019 at 6:54 AM
  19. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Yep.. I'll go with that.. :thumb:

Thrup'ny Bit and AxemanVR like this.
  20. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Strat-Talker

I'm sure I'm alone in this, but I think if the CV Squiers had Fender logos and cost twice as much, there would be nowhere near as much hype surrounding them. I've played CV '50s and '60s Strats, a '60s Tele and 2 '50s Teles, and there was nothing about them I preferred over my MIM Deluxe Lone Star Strat.

However, I still want one of the '50s Teles. :D

slowesthand likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.