Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Clean 64 CAR on Ebay.

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Bazz Jass, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    Yves, Gitrhack and jofish like this.
  2. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2015
    Hull, UK
    Oh man, that's nice!

It must've sat under a bed for the last 53 years. Sad in a way but a gorgeous piece of history if it's all legit.

Dreadge likes this.
  3. Fastfingers

Fastfingers Strat-Talker

Oct 29, 2015
    London
    I'd say that was a fair price - I think Top Dollar would be nearer $50,000 if it were for sale at Gary's Classics. Case is worth $2000.

Bazz Jass likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. CGHguitars

CGHguitars Strat-Talker

Sep 8, 2015
    Rancho Cucamonga
    I don't expect I'll ever spend $30K on any guitar, but damn... I LOVE that.

6. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    My car has May 64 on the neck stamp and L407nn on the neck plate. And mine has identical features to this one. Entirely avoided the 'transition ' changes :)

It looks legit to me except the neck grain. Its showing the growth rings so significantly. It may be myth but all the slightly fancy custom colour strats pre cbs I have seen had a slightly figured maple neck.

7. Fastfingers

Fastfingers Strat-Talker

Oct 29, 2015
    London
    I had no neck grain on any of mine. Looks legit to me.

8. Silvercaster

Silvercaster Strat-Talk Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Sweden
    Do you also have the grey bottom pu`s? Maybe that will count as a part of the "transition" changes?

9. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-Talk Member

Feb 27, 2012
    England
    That guitar must have spent its long life at pretty constant temperature and humidity. I cant see any checking in the images and none is referred to in thr listing.

My 65 CAR is in almost as good condition but has a lot of lengthways fine checking, which I've seen in images of other transition period CARs.

I'm not questioning authenticity, which I'm not qualified like many of you guys to do. Just an observation.

jofish likes this.
  10. candyapple1964

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    Black bottom pickups too :)

11. Silvercaster

Aug 29, 2016
    Sweden
    Great!

12. candyapple1964

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    Yes I thought the same. Its been sheltered.

Btw my car64 has no length wise crazing or checking at all. But is significantly worn. The crazing and checking is randomish on mine.

I wonder if the finish method changed by the time yours was done.

crashbelt likes this.
  13. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-Talk Member

Feb 27, 2012
    England
    That's really interesting. Mine has very little wear except a few chips showing the silver undercoat. It does seem odd that some transition CARs show a lot of fine lengthways checking and others with much more arm wear etc have little or none.

It would be interesting if people with more knowledge of CAR transition era finishes can enlighten us:D

14. Silvercaster

Aug 29, 2016
    Sweden
    Pictures guys!!

jofish likes this.
  15. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talk Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Brussels, Belgium
    I guess it has to do with the thickness of the clear coat finish and other coats underneath as well.
    The lengthways checking is totally normal (much more than the sideways and spiderweb checking on relics, that is definitely not as natural)
    If the wood "works" or has not fully dried this could happen. Also, I assume this will happen more in humid places with bigger seasonal changes than in dry places with a more constant temperature.

16. DeadCircuits

DeadCircuits Strat-Talker

Aug 25, 2016
    GB
    Lush guitar. I just wish the prices of vintage strats didn't put them out of reach of the majority of people who would love to play and own one.

Fastfingers likes this.
  17. Mipstoo

Mar 18, 2013
    Brussels, Belgium
    You can find good refins for the price of a custom shop if your look well and be patient.

18. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

I'm sorry but I just can't wrap my mind around the price.. for that kind of money I can put a down payment on a house, visit Galapagos, buy a custom shop Fender, etc. etc.

19. Mipstoo

Mar 18, 2013
    Brussels, Belgium
    And others go dining for this price... All depends what buyers they target. Let's not forget that this is the advertised price. Not the selling price.

20. candyapple1964

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    Sorry preferred anonymous url . Will get the image another way!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    crashbelt likes this.
  21. alderre

alderre Strat-Talker

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    My brain still expects an actual car (as in automobile) when I click on these car links.

abnormaltoy likes this.