Clean Up Woman - Betty Wright (Cover)

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by Mouse, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

This one might be a bit more obscure however it was a top 40 hit in 1971. Those who are fans of the genre should know it. This is another example of 3 relatively simple guitar parts working together.

The guitars at the bottom of the video are the most prominent on the recording. These are generally the parts that they focus on when playing live. The 3rd guitar was a bit of a pleasant surprise when I began listening closer, particularly the bridge where it frames the chord progression. This guitar is buried in the mix on the recording but I made it more prominent here and make no promises that I'm playing it the same as the album.

For those curious, the guitarist was Willie "Little Beaver" Hale. When researching the song, it turns out Betty died just recently last May. So, RIP Betty...you should have been a bigger star.

Clean Up Woman - Betty Wright

2. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

not obscure to me! i love this song (and miss Betty Wright's voice here). You do a fine job of hitting the guitar parts! Willie Hale is still alive last I checked... great cover, Mouse!

abnormaltoy, Mouse and Cerb like this.
  3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Nice job mouse. Funny I don't remember her, but I damn sure remember that rhythm part (bottom left window) from another song of the same era, had some horns behind it too..but I can't put my finger on it. Got it!! Hold On, I'm Coming....

abnormaltoy and Mouse like this.
  4. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Ah, now that's from way before my time.. ehem. :whistling:

Great job as always Ralph. I remember the song really. Always surprises me how many guitar parts are in a lot of songs.

5. floydrose

floydrose Senior Stratmaster

Good stuff as usual Mouse; nice song too.

6. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Great work Mouse!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  7. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Wow, Again what awesome playing Mouse, but no PRS ?? :eek: :D

8. Howard Emerson

Howard Emerson Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

I remember it well, and we all figured out those parts when it was new.

Ever listen closely to Billy Joel's 'Keepin The Faith'?

Most of the parts are carefully recycled there.

Regards,
    Howard Emerson

9. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Thank you Monte.

Thanks B.

Thanks Ron. Agreed. There are a lot of hidden gems in songs that I often miss with casual listening.

Thanks for listening!

Cheers Cerb!

Thanks. I originally planned on using it but was noodling on the Tele and stuck with it.

Story of my life...a day late and a dollar short; of course I was only 4 when it was new. ;)

I hear what you mean on the Billy Joel tune with the muted guitar.

Thanks for stopping by.

abnormaltoy, Stonetone and Cerb like this.
  10. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

11. Stonetone

Well it Certainly did fit and it sounded awesome :thumb:

12. Nick Efentakis

Nick Efentakis Strat-Talker

Very nice! You can learn so much about guitar and music in general by a song (and video) like this, than by thousands of speed picking exercises, arpeggios, etc..

13. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Thanks Nick. While I do love a good pat on the back (I'm not made of wood after all), my hope is that there's some value beyond the "hey look at me" factor of posting these up. Sometimes a visual representation of what's being played may open the door of a new genre for someone. It certainly has for me. Guitar is guitar and there are nice guitar parts behind so many songs I'd often not give a second listen to in my early days of playing.

14. Nick Efentakis

Nick Efentakis Strat-Talker

:thumb:

Baelzebub, Mouse and abnormaltoy like this.
  15. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Silver Member

Certainly wasn't obscure to me...it got a ton of airtime back in the long ago.
    Nice job, you killed it.

Stonetone and Mouse like this.
  16. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

Well done as always @Mouse. The way you are playing the main part is one of the ways to do it. I play the lazy man version all at the fifth fret. Very Cool to have you cover this song...

17. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

Not familiar with it but its a catchy little tune and I'm certain you have done it justice! \m/

abnormaltoy, Stonetone and Mouse like this.
  18. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Thanks Mark. I'm happy that this tune ended up being more familiar than I thought.

Thanks Gumbo! Why am I not surprised that our resident Funk Master knows how to play this one. ;)

I messed around with a few voicings and settled on this. Nothing lazy about playing it in a single position. Smart and efficient would be the words I'd use. I'm glad you stopped in as I always look to your advice on tunes like this.

You don't remember the Megadeth cover of this one? :D:D:D

Thanks bud! Since you did that Staying Alive lick I've been waiting on more funk/disco from you. :D

19. Stonetone

That's exactly why I love your Covers, gives me new insight to the guitar parts that i sometimes dont think are all that amazing, but when i see you do covers especially those multi parts then I appreciate the song a whole lot more, and well as an aspiring guitar player i do enjoy your proficiency at playing so many different styles of music/guitar :thumb:

20. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

i grew up listening to pop and soul - Betty Wright was beloved by my dad - but i never wondered how to make the music - it was almost monolith and also, i was in love with the words and voice... the lyrics are funny and true-ish (never actaully experienced the phenomenon, but have seen that story told in countless books, tv and movies) - captivating... it tokk getting much more intentional as a musician and revisting the songs of my childhood that i heard the guitar, looked up Willie Hale... same with motown... i listened my whole life but only the last ten years have i delved into the usually uncredited musicians... i was like a kid easily fooled at a magic show - never seeing the band behind the beautiful glittering - and now all music to me is potential guitar music.... that's been the funnest aspect of digging deeper. and of course getting to know a bunch of incredible musicians who palyed the score of my life but never had the name recognition of relative handful comparatively...

i ve been reading oral histories of the Basie and Ellington orchestra musicians and the single biggest takeaway is that very few people are head and shoulders above the rest except that fame makes it so.... we revere Coltrane (rightly so, i love him and his presence in the world) and Johnny Hodges (also rightly so) and so on but its easy to take away a picture of unachievable greatness from heroes. Which is simply inaccurate - a recurring theme among these musicians is their remembrance of someone back home who could really play and just do anything they wanted on their horn and they taught them this and that and how to read so that they could take the job when offered by some traveling band and go, which is how they got on their way and they still dont play as good as that person they left behind in Tulsa or Cincinnati - when the world is full of traveling bands, and it was just not that long ago, that means towns everywhere have some excellent musicians - i dont spend a lot of time with regret because of how costly to the present it is, but i wouldnt have minded knowing this a few decades earlier than i did. Musical hero worship without exposure to good musicians in my actual life cost me, would cost anyone, too much.

Dont worry i ramble into the next county like this all the time. It's sort of normal and not a sign of neural breakdown or anything.