Cleanest amp you ever played thru?

Dixie Duncan

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 10, 2008
GA
I was just at a music store in Atlanta checking out amps. I ran a Fender custom shop strat through a Hiwatt Custom 50 head and Hiwatt 4X12 cab. Just for gits and shiggles I cranked everything all the way to 11 and I thought it wasn't plugged in. Not even the slightest hum. F'n amazing!

So, are there any other amps as clean as this? What's the cleanest amp you've played?

Patrick9098

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
My Genz Benz El Diablo 60 does a fine job. With the noisless pickups in my deluxe, I don't hear a thing. No matter if I'm on the hot channel or clean channel.

macwhisper

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 26, 2008
California
More than once I've taken my amps to music stores with noise problems and found they wouldn't exibit the problems when plugged in at the store. Alot of music stores pay special attention to making sure their house wiring is very clean to avoid those issues at time of sale. Once you get the amp to your bar gig with a couple of neon signs and a flourescent light over the pool table everything changes.

synchro

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 2, 2006
Tucson, AZ
More than once I've taken my amps to music stores with noise problems and found they wouldn't exibit the problems when plugged in at the store. Alot of music stores pay special attention to making sure their house wiring is very clean to avoid those issues at time of sale. Once you get the amp to your bar gig with a couple of neon signs and a flourescent light over the pool table everything changes.
IMO, you never really "know" a piece of gear until you've taken it on a gig or two.

synchro

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 2, 2006
Tucson, AZ
I recently repackaged my Twin into a Showman-style set of cabinets. It now has an Eminence Commonwealth 15" speaker. It literally will not break up. Turn it to 10, wail away, and it stays clean.

Fauxman-w.JPG

Carlsoti

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 19, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I used to have a Fender 400PS. It was fender's answer to the Ampeg SVT. It did have a "guitar" channel. That was clean, and insanely loud!

synchro

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 2, 2006
Tucson, AZ
I used to have a Fender 400PS. It was fender's answer to the Ampeg SVT. It did have a "guitar" channel. That was clean, and insanely loud!
I was going to get one of those but I couldn't afford the cost of a transmission line to my house not to mention the substation in my back yard. :)

Carlsoti

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 19, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Yeah, they're monsters, for sure. Considering they had a tube made specially for THAT application, and the guy that desined it won't even talk to a tech about it unless he's got all the right tools, and can explain how each section of the amp works, based upon the schematic. It ceartainly had the "biggest" tone I've ever played. I typically used one of the stock 18" folded horn enclosures, and a buddy's 2 Fender 4x12 cabs. 435 watts... dang, I miss that "to the bone" vibration.