Clsssic Strat tone

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Tidy la, Feb 25, 2020.

1. errikwong

errikwong Strat-O-Master

I'd like to pitch in with a suggestion for the Fender Custom Shop Fat 60s. Just that little bit more girth and fatness versus the Fat 50s, with no shrillness. I recently went down to a local blues jam with my partscaster loaded with Fat 60s. Do have a look, see what you think!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B9Nh34XHmZ7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Tidy la and snoopdoug like this.
  2. DonaldR

DonaldR Strat-Talk Member

Assuming you have Seymour Duncan SSL-6 now, I would go Seymour Duncan STK-S4, they are noiseless equivalent to SSL-2. I have one on my Strat and it could do SRV vibe easily. I think a Full Shred is bright, so maybe wire the tone pot to the bridge pickup only to balance tone.

EC Strat, Tidy la and Seymour Duncan like this.
  3. fowlercustoms

fowlercustoms New Member!

Ill plug silver hand pickups.. he’s a hand builder that I like using on my guitars go check him out

Tidy la likes this.
  4. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

I used to dig texas specials, until I played a few real 64-66 strats.
    It’s a shame these run over 1k now..
    Closest to that vintage sound I have ever owned...

Attached Files:

Tidy la likes this.
  5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I would opt for getting an additional guitar. That Charvel is nice, and it’s kind of expensive. I wouldn’t want to change it up. If you like the SRV tone, maybe consider finding an SRV strat. They are reasonable on the used market, and there are a lot of them out there. But if you can’t, the pickups in that guitar are Texas Specials.

Tidy la and Nadnitram like this.
  6. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

+1 the SD stacks are awesome Great pickups

Tidy la likes this.
  7. REWTX

REWTX Strat-Talker

I would go with Van Zandt true vintage strat pickups. They give my G&L legacy that SRV tone.

Tidy la likes this.
  8. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

First of all, welcome to Strat Talk.

There are so many variables... personally, I wouldn't want to mess up a nice Charvel by changing pots and pickups. First, I'd try to lower the pickups, as @fezz parka suggests.

After that, I'd probably look for a Strat. I see you're in Perth. I don't know how the market is there, or what guitars are readily available on the used marked. In my area, for the same $$$ as a set of Lindy Fralin pickups, I'd could pick up used Squier CV or MIM. That way you'd still have the Charvel, and you get to have the Strat tones, too.

Tidy la and Willmunny like this.
  9. Tidy la

Tidy la New Member!

Hi guys

Thank you for such a welcoming response to my first post on here. I've picked up a lot of great info!

Just to let you know how it went. After a good think, I realised I needed a nice Strat for the sound I'm after. So I traded my charvel in and bought a new Fender American professional strat. Olympic white with maple fretboard.

I've got to say, once I set it up, it plays like a dream and sounds fab! Exactly what I was looking for , I should of bought one years ago.

Thanks again for the advice, it really helped me make the right decision!

10. freddy

freddy Strat-Talk Member

i have a Jackson San Dimas HSS wich was loaded with super distortion and 2 SCN pups , the sound was very compressed and a bit dark on the HB and the SC were very dull , after some research i have swapped the pickups with Pribora HSS set (A2 HB , Mid & Neck VooDoo) , for the wiring i have installed 500k master volume and 250k tone just for the SC ( on the SC i have installed 2 470 ohm resistors ) 5 way switch with "50's" wiring for start with 0.1 cap .
    the result was perfect, tone wise i can cover all the classic rock sounds with this combination like Clapton , cream , free , hendrix , AC/DC ect...

Tidy la likes this.