Join Strat-Talk Today

Coil splitting a Seymour Duncan Little 59 with S-1 switch or tone pot blend

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Jsanz, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Jsanz

Jsanz New Member!

Can anyone tell me where to get info on humbucker coil split pickup wiring? Specifically, I’m fitting a Seymour Duncan little 59 in the bridge and I’d like to have one of the pickups activated by either an s1 switch or a tone knob to blend it in.

So with switch disengaged it would be normal sss Strat (position 1 being only one of the bridge humbucker coils split, which of the two would be best to be singled out, the one closer to bridge or to neck?)

Engaging the switch (or tone pot blend) would activate the second coil in the neck HB,to be always on regardless of the 5 way selector position:
    - position 1 is full bridge humbucker (in series, les Paul style)
    - pos 2 is middle single coil + bridge humbucker two coils (parallel ideally)
    - pos 3 is middle single coil + bridge one coil
    - pos 4 is neck, middle and bridge single coils in parallel
    - pos 5 neck + bridge single coil (tele style)

I’m thinking the above give me the best of all worlds. I’m fairly new to all this so I need some clear instructions but haven’t found any out there for this.

Any advice on other things like choice of 250k, 500k, or 300k, no tone pots, or TBX would also be appreciated.

Another thing: I've noticed the volume pot works a bit funny. At 1-3 it's off, then it suddenly jumps to mid-point volume and slowly moves up in volume to 10. Not sure if it's bad wiring, bad pot, or purposefully done that way. I've read about the differences between linear and logarithmic vol pots but this seems extreme. So whatever option I go for. I’d like to change the volume pot for sure to a normal logarithmic one, which I’m more accustomed to.

I attach pics of my current wiring and pots. It’s a MIM Strat with Texas Blues in middle and neck, and Irongear Texas Loco on bridge. I haven’t installed the SD lil 59 or any other switch

Thoughts, comments? Is this possible, is there a better way?

upload_2019-11-2_23-27-11.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-2_23-27-37.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-2_23-28-29.png

2. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You can not do this with the original 5-way switch. It would require (at least) a Superswitch, but the series/parallel options will make that pretty complex. You would probably need to combine a Superswitch with an S1 to do everything you want.

Not to be a dick, but from looking at the existing wiring, if you did that, I don't think you have the skill to work with a Superswitch or S1 switch. The S1 in particular has small pads and is easy to bridge/burn.
    I would recommend finding an experienced person locally who can give you some hands-on assistance.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Just do this with your existing SSS pickguard. It's a wiring only mod that allows you to spin the blender from stock SSS into HSH. It's not a switch, you blend between. Generic Strat 6kohm singles in series give you a 12kohm humbucker which is close to the hot types people have used. Easy to install, easy to use on stage, easy to remember exactly what the controls are doing six months later.

The only additional thinking point is if you will be mostly SSS then keep the 250k volume pot, if mostly HSH then swap for a 500k volume pot. 500k on singles will make them brighter (so use the tone knob) and 250k on humbuckers makes them darker/"warmer". I leave 'em at 250k.

CB91710 likes this.
  4. Jsanz

Jsanz New Member!

Thanks for the advice. Definitely will go to my local luthier but I wanted to get options and point him to where to get wiring for similar things already done online

5. Jsanz

Jsanz New Member!

I already have the SD lil59 humbucker to fit the space of the single coil and replace it. Doesn’t this diagram assume three single coils?

6. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

As a quick promo, the Duncan site has lots of wiring ideas, and the forum is pretty good, too, for custom wiring ideas/diagrams.

7. Jsanz

Jsanz New Member!

I’d like to simplify the controls as much as possible, and not have too many switching options. I think a two way mini Gilmour style switch should cover most of what I need.

The mini switch would essentially turn on or off one of the two bridge pickups (the one closest to the neck). So in position 2 of the mini, it would be fully SSS strat 5 way style, the bridge being the single coil near the bridge and the other pickup off. Position 1 would activate the other pickup in series with any other pickup that is selected with the 5 way. This way I forego having the HB in parallel on its own but can do without that.

Description below:

Tone 1 for both bridge pickups (convert to no load tone pot)

Tone 2 for middle and neck pickups

Mini switch pos 1 towards bridge (classic strat mode) with the following 5 way switch options:
    1 - single coil closest to bridge
    2 - single bridge coil + middle in parallel
    3- middle
    4- middle + neck in parallel
    5 - neck

Mini switch pos 2 towards neck (alternative mode) with the following in the 5 way switch:
    1- both bridge coils in series
    2- both bridge coils in series + middle in series
    3- single bridge coil (closest to neck) + middle in series
    4- single bridge coil (closest to neck) + middle + neck in series
    5- single bridge coil (closest to neck) + neck in series

Some of the above may sound muddy, so thoughts on improving these are welcome.

Is this easy to do? Any diagrams out there please?

8. CB91710

It would not be too complex to just cut in the 2nd coil using the original 5-way and a DPDT toggle, but the options of running the middle or neck in series with the bridge coil make it more difficult.
    You might be able to do it with an S1 volume pot, which is a 4PDT.

9. Jsanz

Jsanz New Member!

Sorry but why would it be difficult? Can’t one of the Humbucker coils be treated as a separate pickup on its own and have it on or off independently of the others? I guess you mean I couldn’t get the two Humbuckers in series if I split it that way... I’m learning as I go as it’s my first time doing this type of thing.
    Would a three way mini switch instead to have bridge in series/coil/split help?
    I could do away with the alternate combinations I described as long as I can get the bridge as series HB as well as split or parallel by itself and with the middle pickup in pos 2 as in a normal strat

10. CB91710

The difficulty is in switching the active pickups between series and parallel with the same switch used to cut in the 2nd coil on the humbucker.
    If you just wanted standard wiring with a coil split, you would be able to do that with a single pole to ground the 'bucker's center tap.
    To add the 2nd coil on each switch position with a single toggle would require a double-pole switch. In position 1, the "neck leg" of the back coil is grounded and both legs of the front coil are open.
    The 5-Way uses conventional wiring.
    When adding the 2nd coil (nearest the bridge), to series the humbucker, the "front leg" of the back coil needs to connect to the "rear leg" of the front coil, and the front leg of the front coil goes to ground.
    That works, and is just an over-complicated way to install a coil tap.

The problem is adding the series options with the other pickups.
    Doing that requires that the "rear leg" of the front coil be moved from the "front leg" of the rear coil to the input of the 5-way, then the "front leg" of the front coil needs to tie to the "hot" lead of each of the other pickups.
    I'm getting some ideas but don't have time to draw them up right now... give me a few hours and I might have something workable.

11. Jsanz

Jsanz New Member!

Adding one of the bridge coils to the other pickups can be in series or parallel, whatever is doable or sounds best. It’s not so much a requirement that they are in series, I just meant to have the one bridge pickup combined with any other :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Jsanz

Jsanz New Member!

I got this idea from another forum, Would it work?

Attached Files:

13. CB91710

If the slug coil is to be inserted in series in all options (which would effectively give you humbucking on all three), then it's a simple matter to drop it into the line between the selector switch output and the volume pot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.