Coltrane - Mr. P.C.

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by guitarvegas, Aug 10, 2021.

1. davidKOS

davidKOS not posting these days

Very true - there is no shame in getting professional instruction. I'm thankful for all the teachers that have helped me learn to be a musician.

fezz parka, dogletnoir and cglasford like this.
  2. cglasford

cglasford Strat-Talk Member

I mean I could probably work through this on my own but why? it would probably take me 3x as long if I keep on the path I'm on now so I know that if I just take a step back, or off the treadmill and ask someone for some assistance/direction I probably can get where I want to go way quicker and that is all that matters to me.

davidKOS likes this.
  3. guitarvegas

guitarvegas Senior Stratmaster

Thanks man. I liked it too, but I have work to do as mentioned by all here. From what I do know, their is no "fast road" approach to this. It will get there if I allow myself to put the disciplined time into it though.

4. cglasford

cglasford Strat-Talk Member

oh for sure man, we are all on the same road just in different places. I'm not trying to sell you a magic pill or a short cut. there is no short cut and a teacher is not a short cut but they can keep you pointed in the right direction and keep you from weaving to and fro on the road of guitar. Don't be too proud to ask a professional for a little help. If it is a financial thing keeping you from lessons because you can't afford it, then do what you can but if its a pride thing, stop being stubborn and swallow your pride you will thank yourself later. What I'm hearing in your playing should be easily fixed in a short period of time but unless you are recording your self with a camera and being hyper critical of your playing. Going oh yeah I was off by a 16th note there and then woodshedding that lick until you have mastered it before moving to the next or whatever it's very hard to make these adjustments by yourself. Its just like anything else in life, constructive criticism can be very beneficial and nothing is better than in person. So they can stop you and go ok that was good but you missed this and that or do this and that, in the moment. Not to sound cliche but practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect and if you continue to have crap practice you will have deep rooted bad habits that you are going to have to spend a lot of time breaking or you will greatly hamper your trajectory on the road of guitar. Take yourself out of guitar and think about it in a different format. I played goalie in hockey to a pretty high level and I would have never got as good as I did if I wouldn't have had coaches. You can do what you want but if I was your friend I would say hey man take a few lessons, what's it going to hurt?

guitarvegas likes this.
  5. guitarvegas

guitarvegas Senior Stratmaster

very cool, thank you my friend for the advice. Good stuff.

cglasford likes this.