1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Compressor - order

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Irzal, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Irzal

Irzal Strat-Talk Member

Hi all,
    I've just started building my new pedalboard. Nothing fancy: wah -> OD ->fuzz -> chorus ->reverb -> delay. I am thinking of adding a compressor. Now: should I get a compressor limiter or compressor sustainer if I want to have more of a "frusciantesque" sound, and last but not least: where to put it? Before wah, after wah but before OD or after OD and fuzz?
    Thnx!

2. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

Compressor first. It can help push your OD, you don't want it after the OD, squashing what you're trying to achieve with the drive. Compressors are both limiting and sustaining, there's a separate control for each of those functions. Nicer ($$) ones also have a "blend" knob which can really help keeping things sounding more natural. Some also add a nice sparkle presence to your tone. I would read up on compressors and understand what they do before you commit money to one.

soulman969, s5tuart and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Compression and limiting are not quite the same. All compressors add sustain, but not all have limiting built in. You can understand the difference with some searching the net, but generally compressors reduce the difference between loud and soft. Limiters don't do anything until a threshold is reached, then they clamp the output so it doesn't get louder than that. Then there are variations like hard limiting and soft limiting.

But generally, on a pedalboard I think you'd be happy with a basic compressor.

4. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

What kind of fuzz are you running? If it is Fuzz face style you might need to put that first in the chain so it's seeing the signal direct from your pickups - then I would go comp, followed by the rest.

I have actually experimented with putting a comp after my OD, but as a limiter with the sustain relatively low - almost like a reverse booster - it keeps my rhythm volume lower and the tone even and subdued in the mix, so when I turn it off there is actually a jump in volume and more dynamics.

5. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

I like my compression before OD. I use the blend knob and blend lightly to taste.

usul1978 likes this.
  6. Irzal

Irzal Strat-Talk Member

Thnx. I'll go with the basic sustainer right after wah and before everything else...I'll lose the fuzz and run a ds-2 after a TS clone instead...

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

Hey Telepraise! Long time no see. I am watching this thread and learning. I’ve never been too adept at using effects. I’ve been more of a straight through a digital delay and then straight to the amp. But I want to get another pedal board. And a couple more pedals.

Stratafied likes this.
  8. funkysoul

funkysoul Strat-Talker

I'm using it only clean when strumming funky chords only.... So I put it after od's and before modulation

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  9. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I prefer it before my OD pedals as well but after my clean booster. I don't use a ton of compression anyway so it's mainly there to add a little leveling of louder and softer attack.

I'd suggest getting one with a blend knob so you can mix an uncompressed signal with a compressed one to get the results you want. Just a nice additional feature to have.

10. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Silver Member

I use a 2 knob compressor (1975 Dyna-Comp) and I run it after my Crybaby, volume and tuner. Everything else is after the comp. I always use the limiter function low (9 o'clock or less and the sustainer high (3 o'clock to 3:30) gives me a huge boost and extra sustain. The sustain helps a lot when I do my Christmas medley stuff and transition from one melody to the next.

11. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

I’ve never seen a noticeable difference with a compression pedal.

12. Irzal

Irzal Strat-Talk Member

This is an interesting comment - I'll mostly play at home wit low output amp and have a gig every now and then with the guys from work...so...do I really need it? On the other hand I found a TC electr. Forcefield compressor, new, for 35 bucks...inexpensive and apparently not ****ty...

Stratafied likes this.
  13. Irzal

Irzal Strat-Talk Member

Hey...Strattalk censored the word ****!?

14. Irzal

Irzal Strat-Talk Member

I meant "not so poopy"...

Stratafied likes this.
  15. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Good value there.

16. Boppy

Boppy Strat-Talker

Compressors usually go first so you can have a strong consistent signal right from the start.

You can also place it after dirt--and dynamics be damned, it's sometimes pretty cool to have a consistent volume level between clean and dirty tones. You can also clean up dirt smoothly with the guitar volume and not lose any kind of volume level too. Compressors are kind of amazing for that.

17. Boppy

Boppy Strat-Talker

Yeah, they're subtle and work mostly on sustain and dynamics. They don't make your guitar sound like a flying-saucer or anything like that :)

Stratafied likes this.
  18. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

There are no hard and fast rules that can never be broken when it comes to pedal placement.
    You're free to experiment on your own and do things you like even if they are unconventional.
    I myself occasionally do a few things that are unconventional.

That said, this here is pretty much the accepted standard way of placing pedals in the chain ... although the EQ placement is sometimes the subject of debate as far as a "standard" way of doing things.

[​IMG]

19. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Yep, good advice. For me I've used a basic two-knob DOD since the early 1980s and never wanted anything else out of a compressor. I like the compressor first in the chain as it's basically a level-shaping device not unlike a volume pedal in some ways. Never needed a limiter playing live, used plenty of 'em in the studio though.

Triple Jim likes this.
  20. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

You may need to put wah or fuzz before the compressor. I generally put it as near the front of the chain as I can, but some pedals don't tolerate compression well. You may have to try a few different configurations until you get what you like.

BTW, it's not a hard fast rule to put it at the front. Lots of players have them later in the chain.