Considering a Custom Shop...but..

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Shades of Blue, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

So, I have a PRS Custom 24 for sale, and want to get a Custom Shop Strat. I have a local guy that has a really nice LTD Custom Shop 58 Strat with a super heavy relic job and he wants to trade. Black over 3TSB with a maple board. I repeat....heavy relic and not sure how I feel about that. I like a little aging, but dang lol.

I really don't know what I want other than the fact that I'm ready to get a Custom Shop. I love Strats, and currently have a pretty nice 61 Thin Skin FSR Strat from Dave's Guitar Shop from 2010. I like that guitar a lot and it has kept the Strat gas away for nearly 10 years. But, I think I want something different. Possibly even a relic of some level. I love the overall soft used look of my Strat, even though it doesn't have any major wear on it. It is mostly just cloudy in some spots from my arm and hands. It just doesn't look brand new.

I've never played a Custom Shop, and the obvious answer is just to meet the guy and check the guitar out, but just not sure if a heavy relic is for me, but this guitar has all the specs I want and honestly does look pretty dang cool.

This is similar to the guitar in question...

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    moozak, Tguitarfloyd, Nate D and 2 others like this.
  2. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

i never buy because i can buy, i only buy "the one", and many times "the one" was not what i thought it would be when i left the house...

...not rushing in and being sure has kept me away from buyer's remorse for over 20 years straight now. i refret my guitars because i do not want to replace them, that is my version of a win in gas land.

SKYDOG4570, Nate D, AGK13 and 12 others like this.
  3. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Every guitar is different - even custom shops. Play it and see if you like it.

I've played lots of custom shop strats and they are all different. I didn't like any of them, but that's another story...

4. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I'm not opposed to "relics" per se as long as they belong to someone else but I will never get why anyone would want to pay the going $$$$ upcharge for a partially destroyed instrument. :confused:

Tone Deaf, JDug, MGW-AB and 10 others like this.
  5. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

I prefer shiny new guitars lol. I've bought some used ones of course but they were in great shape.

Sounds like you aren't really keen on the relic guitar. Don't settle.

Tone Deaf, MGW-AB, Lewbypls and 10 others like this.
  6. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I get wanting to try one but I sure don't get wanting one just cuz it's a CS
    Maybe it's me

7. Shades of Blue

I get that sentiment. I guess part of the allure of the CS is that I can get something with at least "some" relicing. I mean, I do want something with some relicing, but not sure I like the full on heavy relic. I plan to meet the guy later this week, so we will see what it looks and feels like in person. I've just heard a lot of people say that they didn't "get" relicing until they owned one.

Bob the builder likes this.
  8. Monkey

Monkey Strat-Talk Member

yes soulman 969 I really do not understand why someone should want to buy a damaged guitar , I would be asking for a discount, but I am a old g-t.As they say it takes allsorts to make the world go round.

9. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

I'm also unsure about the relic thing but some are attractive in the Pics I've seen. The color over the sunburst sorta grabs me. However, for you I see the appeal of a trade. @henderman has good advice so think hard about what you want so you get what you want. CS Strats come by here on Craigs and prices vary. Certainly cheaper than getting one made from the CS. I've never done that but once you know exactly what would do it for you it might be worth it.

10. gretev

gretev Strat-O-Master

Just my opinion but if you aren‘t sure then I would say don‘t do it. You should choose a guitar you think is THE ONE. Have you possibly thought about custom ordering a Strat from the Custom Shop? Or is that beyond your budget? Personally I have always hunted down guitars that suited my exact specs and preferences otherwise I wouldn‘t advise owning such an expensive instrument. It‘s gotta be the one. I personally don‘t like the contrived aspect of relics either.

fos1 likes this.
  11. uncle daddy

uncle daddy Strat-Talker

Relics are all about the finish, it won't necessarily play any better than what you have. If you're looking for a different sound, maybe try a pickup swap?

For the record, I'm one of those guys that didn't get relics till I built a couple; now I'm a convert, but not those nasty looking power-sander on poly that kids turn out to try to add value to a Squier!

12. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

In the end it’s really up to you. I love any level of relics and despite what people say or hate on them, they seem to be the only guitars being sold off the walls of the 15 guitar shop I visit weekly.

To me it’s a no brainer. A prs is cool but very limited mark in my opinion. I had a few over the years in trade deal. Figured wow this is fancy, could not sell it for the life of me.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  13. Shades of Blue

That's what I am feeling. This is similar to the guitar in question...

[​IMG]

guitarchaeologist likes this.
  14. Shades of Blue

The cool thing about the trade in this case is that the CS is worth more than my PRS, and I think we can do a straight swap from what I'm hearing. If I don't like the Strat, I would have a much higher value guitar to flip. So that is a plus.

The other thing is that I don't really want to go with ordering from the CS because of the wait times, and if I got a new and non-relic, I'd be scared to play it anywhere. Isn't that odd? We want our guitars to age naturally but are scared of dings....I'm strange I know lol. The relic helps me realize that it is a set of worn in jeans that I can change oil in.

15. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Yeah definitely a no brainer if that’s what you’re trading for. It will have a beautiful 10/56 V neck or something on the larger side and anything with a colour over sunburst always brings in more money.

16. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

// The cool thing about the trade in this case is that the CS is worth more than my PRS, and I think we can do a straight swap from what I'm hearing. If I don't like the Strat, I would have a much higher value guitar to flip. So that is a plus.

"A horse is worth what you pay for it." Don McLean

17. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

With that said you can still come out on top selling the Strat over the prs, any prs for that matter.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

+1 it seems like a good trade option. The Fender is more marketable.

+1 on the Relic thing ... I didn't used to understand them but after owning a couple I figured out I like to get used/abused and fix them up rather than a sparkly new one that in the end doesn't get played because of scratching potential.

Tguitarfloyd and Electgumbo like this.
  19. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Simple: once you hold it in your hands, strum it, play some chords, maybe some noodling, you will know for sure if it makes your innards happy.

If not then pass.

20. Twin

Twin Strat-Talker

I like FCS and I like relics. I don’t get the negativity. But it’s hard to predict how they are going to look until you see them in person, even the color, unless it’s black. More than once, I thought the “heavy “ relicing was too much. That’s not to say some of them aren’t great. And the feel of the neck varies. The Journeyman are more consistent in relicing.