Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Convert a combo to speaker cabinet

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by Rocket man, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Rocket man

Rocket man Strat-Talk Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Spacecoast
    So I got a new Christmas present for my self. Hughes& kettner tubmister 18 Head. I want to convert my combo1x12 to a speaker cab to use w/ a head but keep the combo’s amp to use also. Can I add some 1/4 jacks and use a cable for both?

2. rich815

rich815 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

I upgraded my Monoprice 15 combo with an excellent 12” WGS Liberator 80 speaker (which is sort of a now-discontinued version of their ET65 but with beefed up lower mids https://wgsusa.com/et65 ) and then did just what you’re asking about and now use it also as a speaker cab plugging other heads into it. I cut a small hole in the rear screen and mounted a single jack with a normally-closed switch contact. I connected the tip to one speaker wire, the NC contact to one wire from the amp, and the other wires to the jack ground. When there is no external amp connected, the NC contact connects the internal amp to the speaker. When I plug in the output of another amp head the internal amp is disconnected automatically. You just always have to make sure everything is turned off when making or breaking connections, of course. And also be sure not to have the main combo plugged in when another head is going to be attached. So I tape up the combo plug with electrical tape when I use it as a cab so it won’t get plugged in by mistake.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    nederemer and thomquietwolf like this.

3. rich815

rich815 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

4. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Make sure the ohms match and you're fine.