Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Convert a combo to speaker cabinet

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by Rocket man, Dec 2, 2017.

  1. Rocket man

    Rocket man Strat-Talk Member

    Oct 11, 2017
    So I got a new Christmas present for my self. Hughes& kettner tubmister 18 Head. I want to convert my combo1x12 to a speaker cab to use w/ a head but keep the combo’s amp to use also. Can I add some 1/4 jacks and use a cable for both?

  2. rich815

    rich815 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

    I upgraded my Monoprice 15 combo with an excellent 12” WGS Liberator 80 speaker (which is sort of a now-discontinued version of their ET65 but with beefed up lower mids ) and then did just what you’re asking about and now use it also as a speaker cab plugging other heads into it. I cut a small hole in the rear screen and mounted a single jack with a normally-closed switch contact. I connected the tip to one speaker wire, the NC contact to one wire from the amp, and the other wires to the jack ground. When there is no external amp connected, the NC contact connects the internal amp to the speaker. When I plug in the output of another amp head the internal amp is disconnected automatically. You just always have to make sure everything is turned off when making or breaking connections, of course. And also be sure not to have the main combo plugged in when another head is going to be attached. So I tape up the combo plug with electrical tape when I use it as a cab so it won’t get plugged in by mistake.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    nederemer and thomquietwolf like this.

  3. rich815

    rich815 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

  4. Paperback Rocker

    Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

    Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Make sure the ohms match and you're fine.

  5. wickdawg

    wickdawg Strat-Talk Member

    Feb 10, 2016
    los angeles
    I have a great Ampeg SVT4 Pro bass head that was a brand new backup head that a friend of mine used on tour. He gave it to me for free. I also have a Mesa Boogie combo amp. I use a Morley ABY switch, plug the speaker into the in/out and then plug my Mesa speaker output into the A and the Ampeg speaker output into the B.

    This way I can switch between the guitar and bass with a push of the pedal using the Mesa combo cabinet speaker for each. You could even technically use both at once through the same speaker, but that's not advisable. I realise that it isn't the best speaker for a super high watt bass amp, but don't gig, I just use it for recording.

    But for your purposes, a less than $50 ABY switch should be your solution if you want the option of using both the combo's amp and the new head with the combo's speaker.

    Other than that, you could just plug the speaker from the combo into the head's speaker output

  6. johnnymg

    johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

    Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    How do you know which of those speakers to get. I want to build a 1x12 (4 ohm) cab for my Bugera T5 head. Want a lot of clean Fender(ish) headroom.

    Based on the description and sound clip I'm leaning towards the AMERICAN VINTAGE - 12" G12C/S
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017