Join Strat-Talk Today

Converting to HSS - Wiring help please

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by td6837689, May 14, 2019.

1. td6837689

td6837689 New Member!

Hi all, I've followed the attached wiring diagram exactly...looked it over so many times, I know I've done it according to the specs. But in this configuration, I get no output from the new Humbucker in the bridge position.
    Just to experiment, I jumped the two control pins (in 5-way switch, the one on lower side of left block to the upper one on other side) and then I do get Humbucker (bridge) output, so I know the Humbucker is OK. But, at the same time I lose the middle p/u output.

this is my first mod (changing from SSS to HSS) so I may be making rookie mistakes but I'm stumped so please offer any suggestions.

thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Pictures of your wiring is a must here. It allows us to see where potential problems may lie.
    Welcome to ST by the way
    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  3. td6837689

td6837689 New Member!

Good to be here, thanks for the welcome. Attached are a few pics...the soldering job is crap, but the connections are all strong.
    Note that as far as I can tell, its wired exactly like the Shawbucker diagram (attached in the first post).
    thanks

IMG_20190514_2156190[1].jpg IMG_20190514_2156190[1].jpg IMG_20190514_2157202[1].jpg

Attached Files:

4. Believer7713

Your humbucker is a fender which runs backwards. The green is hot and the red is ground.

5. td6837689

td6837689 New Member!

Are you sure about that Believer7713? Reason I ask is that the diagram came with the humbucker, and they match. Also, the green came paired with the bare, which you'd think together would be ground. Note also that when I jumped the two control lugs, I got the humbucker working, but lost the middle p/u.
    I appreciate your help and suggestions.

6. Believer7713

Here is a diagram of different companies wiring
    [​IMG]
    Also when you got the humbucker working did both sides of it work? Or only one side? I'm only asking to try to narrow down the possibilities. Much harder to do on line than in person.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  7. td6837689

td6837689 New Member!

Hmm, very interesting as its in direct contrast to what was supplied by Fender. When I did get it working (but lost middle p/u), both sides were working. I'll give the diagram you provided a try; switching the green and red...will let you know. thanks again

8. Believer7713

According to your diagram it is wired correctly. So the only other thing I can think of is to look at the switch and make sure that is isn't in backward or make sure that all of the tabs are contacting the sweeper correctly.

9. td6837689

td6837689 New Member!

ok, so tried the switch...and it worked! You are The Man! (and I should alert Fender their diagram is wrong)
    Now, the only issue remaining is that in Position 2, the middle p/u and both North-South p/u's are sounding. The way its supposed to work is that Position 2 engages only middle p/u and the South bridge p/u. Currently I have all three working in Position 2...which may be OK, not sure. I suspect the higher output of the Shawbucker will drown out the middle p/u.
    Once again, I really appreciate your help here.
    cheers

Believer7713 likes this.
  10. Believer7713

Good deal!!! Glad I could help.

11. td6837689

td6837689 New Member!

UPDATE: turns out I had a bad product; one of the pickups failed a continuity test. This from Fender:
    "I was talking with John on this and it sounds like half the pickup is dead. If he wires it like a Duncan and swaps the red and green wires, he is only getting access to one of the coils and in his case, that is the coil that is working and explains why he is getting output when wired this way. When he wires it in series as our diagram depicts, the signal is flowing through both coils but if one of the coils is dead, the signal flow is disrupted as it tries to pass through and that would explain why he has no output when following our diagram. He can take a multi meter and test each coil to confirm what we believe is happening. One of the coils will probably read open. But the diagrams we include in the box and on the site are correct

Stephen James likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.