Cookie cutter Custom shop relics?

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Yep - totally agreed here. I have a CS Journeyman relic Tele and it was the most reasonable way for me to capture the vibe/feeling of the vintage Fenders I adore. With a family and house obligations I can't justify wading through the actual vintage market so that was the best I could do and I'm happy I did it.

Yeah same here. Plus being called a poser or looked at as trying to impress my friends or the audience has nothing to do with it. It’s just a look.

Here’s a good question. If I bought a real worn vintage strat or a fake relic, would I have to wear a t-shirt that says “it’s real” for all the wondering guitar enthusiasts? What if the wear was real but I bought it that way a week prior? Still a poser? It’s like wearing someone else’s worn jeans that I just bought used.

See how silly the whole argument about fake versus real is. Unless you personally bought something new and put your own labour of love into it, it’s all fake in a sense.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah , I think I calculated it out to be a few hundred. What people are paying for is the level of treatment such as team built vs masterbuilt and always the limited editions cost more. However people think they’re paying a fortune fora “ reliced “ guitar .

Yeah I never got that, it’s so expensive thing. Sure you want full on brand spanking new then yes it’s expensive. All the ones I’ve bought except 2 were used at a insane low price.

Also people think they just do relics. They do all kinds of NOS finishes. The stores are filled with relics often more so than a NOS finish because the relics sell faster.

Another point people don’t get is there’s also regular production type team built ready to go stuff. It’s not always just a master built relic at $8k and up. Loads of affordable used CS stuff out there priced at new vintage reissue prices, you just have to be looking in the right places.

BuddyHollywood

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 22, 2011
Venice, CA
Haha! If they are stenciling their relic jobs that just makes the whole idea of relic jobs even more absurd than I already think they are. I don't love them or hate them either. It's a personal choice that I respect like everything someone decides to do in life. I'll still always be happy to play a good guitar though no matter its condition.

sale83

Strat-Talker
May 25, 2011
Serbia
Yes I’d love to have a real vintage 50’s or 60’s strat. I can’t even afford a player grade refin so this is the next best thing. Added bonus is you can play it right away.
You can go for a nice used av reissue, doesn't have to be vintage 50's instrument. Wear is real on them, from real playing over the years, nothing fake made in factory.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
You can go for a nice used av reissue, doesn't have to be vintage 50's instrument. Wear is real on them, from real playing over the years, nothing fake made in factory.

Oh okay, I have a few. I’ll get back to you in a few years when they start to wear, just to let you know it’s real wear. Nothing fake.

Latest posts