Cost of repainting a strat body?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Blank, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Blank

Blank Strat-Talk Member

I have an EJ strat, and I accidentally left a rag with acetone on it. I came back to find the whole finish and paint lifted off. It now needs to be repainted. What would something like this cost? Including cost of disassembly and reassembly? Would I be better off buying a EJ strat body on stratosphere instead?

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @Blank

probably around $599 for a nitro refin depending on where shop was.
    If you can buy an EJ body from Stratosphere, and check the color etc, that would be simpler

Blank, jvin248, Miotch and 2 others like this.
  3. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Strat-O-Master

That's a real bummer. But, if you're up for it, and have the materials and ability, not to mention the patience,
    strip it and start over.
    Otherwise I'd simply replace it and save the original for a future pre-reliced project.
    Best of luck whatever you decide.

edited to say, if you don't know the cost of bringing it back to it's original glory, you really don't wanna know

Blank and Miotch like this.
  4. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

Sorry to hear that @Blank, we all make mistakes.

MJT quotes $325 for a 2TSB nitro finish plus another $100 to strip the existing nitro. Like @stevierayfan91 mentioned, some vintage shops have also quoted me around the $599 mark for a nitro refinish. Both of these prices don't include assembly/disassembly.

Hope you get it all figured out.

edit: Just realized you didn't even mention 2TSB in your post..... Guess I've been watching way too much EJ on YouTube recently whoops :whistling:

$299 for solid colours and $325 for bursts.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Blank and Miotch like this.
  5. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Pictures?

CRobbins, fos1 and Blank like this.
  6. Blank

Blank Strat-Talk Member

Wow, thank you so much for the quick replies! It is indeed unfortunate, but I guess it happens!

I could learn to disassemble the guitar (just watched a youtube video and it does not seem very hard), but I wouldn't know how to repaint it. But I guess I now know how to strip the existing finish (and paint)! :)

As I'm typing this, have a crazy thought. Maybe I could get the body out and strip everything down to wood and do an oil varnish finish or shellac or brush on nitrocellulose lacquer? The little bit of wood that's peeking through is medium brown so it wouldn't be too ugly. Thoughts?

Roger66 likes this.
  7. Olddogmike

Olddogmike Strat-Talker

Do it yourself, $50 worth of rattle cans will do the job.

8. Blank

Blank Strat-Talk Member

Really? I have a quart of Mohawk Finisher's Choice nitrocellulose lacquer sitting around (I bought it a long time ago to touch my acoustic guitar). But is painting really that easy? I live in an apartment.

Roger66 likes this.
  9. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely. Folks here can guide you. It probably won't come out perfect. But, if you use the right products, you can sand the finish and give it another try as many times as needed until you like it.

Blank likes this.
  10. Blank

Blank Strat-Talk Member

I'm all for giving it a shot! I'll learn something in the process too! Maybe I'll start with learning to disassemble it. For the person who asked for a picture, here it is. Definitely got worse when I tried to wipe it thinking I have to remove all traces of acetone before it starts eating into the wood (not sure if acetone does that).

[​IMG]

CRobbins likes this.
  11. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @Blank

there would also be a painting respirator mask needed cause of fumes.

Nate D, Blank and Stratafied like this.
  12. Blank

Blank Strat-Talk Member

I think an oil varnish or shellac might be more my wheelhouse given space limitations. I live in an apartment and it'll be hard to convince one of my friends to paint in their garage given potential spillage.

What is the best way to strip all paint off without damaging any of the wood (and removing pore fillers if possible)? I will try to disassemble the guitar in the coming days.

Also, are there wood replacement pick guards available? I'm not sure white would go with natural wood.

13. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Wow that’s unfortunate. It may sound crazy, but I often wondered what a body shop would charge.

TheGreenHornet and Blank like this.
  14. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

That a bummer for sure. Have to ask though- what were you doing with an acetone soaked rag?

marksound, nutball73, fos1 and 4 others like this.
  15. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

I'm the furthest from an expert on paints and finishes – so... I'm just thinking out loud here – but couldn't this area perhaps be repaired? By a luthier? Isn't that one of the benefits of nitro – that is an easy finish to repair? You wouldn't have too much trouble matching the colour anyway, I should imagine...

I REALLY don't know though – just a typed thought!!

Robert Graf, vid1900 and Blank like this.
  16. Blank

Blank Strat-Talk Member

I was cleaning paint that had spilled on to the glass window earlier, and had set the rag nearby. Later on, was moving some other things from the table, and put some stuff on the guitar by mistake.

I doubt it's that easy as it's eaten through the paint as well.

17. White Dog

White Dog Strat-Talker

I paid $50.00 US money (all materials start to finish---strip, finish) to do the body in the guitar in my Avatar.
    Takes time, and ANYONE can do it if they have patience.
    If not----pay over $350.00 here in Iowa, and give them 8 weeks or more. PERIOD!!!
    Good luck.;)

Robert Graf and Blank like this.
  18. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Well if that’s a actual EJ Strat it would have a polyurethane body sealer. I’m almost positive it does. So you can dump a can of paint stripper all over the nitro and it will be gone. However you won’t get down to bare wood without some serious efforts getting the polyurethane off.

Also this isn’t a cheapie so I would really consider getting it professionally refinished, fixed or replace the body with another EJ Strat body. Guys are throwing out some great ideas and you can definitely learn a DIY paint process but I’d save that for another project.

Blank likes this.
  19. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talker

It can be done yourself, but personally I would not want to do it in an apartment! The sanding alone is going to be a total mess, and the fumes from painting potentially could be toxic.

Just offering my $.02, but if it were me, I'd just get a replacement body. Someone who was willing and able to do the work might even buy your body and you'd probably come out close to even -- and have it done a whole lot faster.

Blank likes this.
  20. Blank

Blank Strat-Talk Member

Thank you, this is absolutely true, but as it stands, the current paint and finish could not be restored, so I might as well give it a good try. If I fail, I can get it back down to bare wood again, and get it done professionally. I have worked with wood before, so doubt I'll really ruin it. I have also been intrigued by oil varnish finish (on electrics) and shellac (on acoustics) so I could give either a shot.

By the way, are you sure about the polyurethane part? I can see bare wood from just acetone resting on it. Why would they finish a body with nitro, but use a polyurethane coat under?