Could that be brazilian rosewood ?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by _MS_, Jun 9, 2019.

1. _MS_

_MS_ Strat-Talker

Hi there !
    Probably a stupid question but I noticed the rosewood on my old guild doesn’t quite look like the one on my other guitars. Could it then be of another kind ?
    The guitar is a d25m from the late ‘70s, but I think I remember reading that guild had brazilian stocks quite late.
    What do you guys think ?

2. _MS_

_MS_ Strat-Talker

And here are the pictures :

Attached Files:

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

Yeah, looks like it. Bet the back and sides are pretty sweet mahogany too.

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

And welcome to ST!

5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

Welcome.

6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I do not think that is Brazilian RW. I have found several forum posts about these guitar and it appears there were 3 D25M Guilds in the 70's. One had a solid top and laminate back and sides, one had a spruce top and mahogany back and sides and one was all mahogany. Not one of them mention a Brazilian RW board and bridge and considering the prices they sell for used I am sure it would be a good deal more money if they were Braz RW. Still a nice guitar for sure. Neither one of my Martin's have Braz RW and they sound great.

7. _MS_

_MS_ Strat-Talker

Thanks all for the inputs :)

Actually I read on a forum from Hans Moust (the guy who wrote « the guild guitar book ») that Guild had and used Brazilian RW bridges and fretboards very late, and he posted pictures as exemples including one d25 (either a d25 or d25m).
    So it sounds like in theory it isn’t impossible, but I wouldn’t be able to recognize Brazilian RW myself.
    That being said I too would be surprised if they used BrazRW on what was one of their entry level models, but it seems like they sometimes did.
    Maybe something along the lines of the martin d15 (not d15m), which wouldn’t indicate wether it’s using mahogany or sapele (mine is clearly all mahogany for instance, but it isn’t written anywhere).

8. _MS_

_MS_ Strat-Talker

Back and sides are actually laminated sapele (I think, may be magogany) since the back is arched :)

9. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Guild stopped using BRW in/by 1970. Like most other makers. Anything 1970 or after, is Indian Rosewood. They may have had upscale models, but haven't researched. Indian is probably still old growth too. I don't remember Martin offering any BRW guitars in the 70s.
    While I love Brazilian, and if I can will pick it every time. IMHO really good piece of Indian, is better than a mediocre piece of Brazilian.
    Mossman did offer Brazilian until the warehouse full of wood burned in 1975. Mossman was a luthier for Martin in the 50s, quit in the 60s, bought a warehouse full of their best wood in 1965, and started making prototype guitars, and started offering guitars in 1970.
    Dan Erlewine is also married to Mossmans sister, or was at 1 time.. Stuart Mossman died in the late 90s, but sold the company in late 70s early 80s.

Stratoskater and _MS_ like this.
  10. _MS_

_MS_ Strat-Talker

I don't think I should post a link to another forum website here, but Hans Moust indeed says in that discussion named "brazilian in guilds" that they stoped using BRW for back and sides by 1970, but that :
    "As far as fingerboards and bridges is concerned, you will find Brazilian rosewood used for that up to the end of the '70s. Again there doesn't seem to be a fixed date because the different species were both used all through the '70s."
    Sounds like it would be hard to know.