Join Strat-Talk Today

Could this be a scam? Possible ways?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Vindibona1, May 23, 2018.

1. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I put an ad in CL to sell my active Jaguar bass and listed it at $160, which is a fair price for what it is, with upgraded pickup, shielding, etc... So I get a text message asking me to email "her" mom. Looked a little strange because the text came from a 530 area code and I'm in the Chicago area. So I email saying the kid had texted me and the bass was still available. This is the email I got in return...

"Thanks for the response to my daughter's message and am satisfied
    with the price and the condition on the list, kindly withdraw the
    advert from list and considered it sold. I will add extra $50 with the
    original price while you remove the ads. ,My husband will overnight a
    Cashier Check/ Certified Check drawn from a local Banks, and i will
    make the pick up arrangement as soon as you have the check clear and
    your have your cash, I would have loved to come and take a look and
    purchase with cash, but my work frame{nurse} is tight. So, I'll
    need you to provide me with the following information to overnight
    the Payment.

Full Name on the Check,
    Full Physical Address
    Final asking price and your cell# to get a hold of you

The check will be overnight to you asap and deliver to you within 24hours.

Thanks"

That all just threw up all sorts of red flags. Who would offer to pay $50 more? Frankly I'd rather not sell the bass quickly then get scammed. A couple years ago I was selling trumpet mouthpiece and was contacted by someone claiming to be a merchant seaman. I spotted that one easily. But this one? What do you think... So far I haven't heard back from her. I can't imagine how this could turn into something crooked, but it just feels off. Thoughts?

Here was my response...

Hi Stephanie,
    I appreciate your interest in the bass. But as you know there are lots of odd things that happen with these types of sales. You'll forgive me, but your daughter's text address had a California area code, so that combined with the unusual request an offer to pay more money and have pre-payment by raises some red flags. I would feel more comfortable if I can confirm your identity, location and the name of the bank where payment would come from. I bank with Chase so would accept and prefer QuickPay. I'm sure you understand. My cell is 847-502-1160 if you want to talk about the transaction. In the meantime I will refrain from selling it to someone else if you can get back to me today. I'd like to confirm who you are and located, and perhaps in my travels I can bring the bass to you. Also, because I am offering the bass cash-and -carry and you cannot inspect the bass before purchase I have to consider the sale an "as-is" sale. I would greatly prefer that you check out the bass beforehand but understand tight work schedules as my family works long and odd hours as well.
    Thanks for your understanding.

2. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

3. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

Don't even reply. 100% guaranteed to be a bad check that your bank won't discover for about 2 weeks. The extra money is bait.

4. Vindibona1

That's what I thought... Nobody offers an extra $50 in this type of transaction. But the thing is that they were going to send the check and pick up the bass at another time. That's what perplexes me. It's not like they were going to give me a check, take the bass and run. I'll be surprised if I get a response. But hey, if they want to do quickpay and pick the bass up in 2025 that's ok too.

5. YALCaster

YALCaster Strat-O-Master

Every time I’ve ever listed an instrument on Craigslist I always get at least one or two scam emails. They always say what they said to you “am satisfied
    with the price and the condition on the list
    ”. The funny part to me, is that I’ve posted an ad looking for an instrument and had someone contact me saying that. How can you be bad at being bad?? :confused:

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Be assured they were trying to cheat you. They would have waited a couple days and tried to get you to give up the bass, comfortably before your bank informed you that the money didn't come through. These days I require cash in hand for a sale like that.

7. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

If you read their reply there is nothing that specifically mentions the item. That same reply was probably made to thousands of posts with the amount of "extra" money being the only thing to change.

Lovnmesomestrat and Boognish like this.
  8. Vindibona1

Good catch! I missed that, but the vibe just wasn't right and I didn't miss that.

9. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, its a scam.

I listed my services as a guitar teacher a while back. Got an email from someone claiming to live in the Middle East (Saudi Arabia), saying their son (a prince) was currently living here going to college. He would prepay for a month's worth of lessons ($25 / 1/2 hour lesson) and he hoped his son would want to take more than a lesson a week so he was prepaying for 10 lessons, and would I be so kind as to accept overpayment for his son's monthly allowance- not an inconsiderable sum (couple grand).

Nope.

Another time I had wrecked a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo limited with a completely rebuilt drivetrain. V8, car would pass anything but a gas station and go through anything except a utility pole. Listed it for parts on a couple 4x4 forum.

Within a couple days got a response from someone claiming to be in England, wanting to buy my Jeep and ship it to the UAE.

They would airmail me a certified check from the Royal Bank of England, for more than what I was asking with me to give the overage, in cash, to the shipping agent when they came to pick it up. I am to email him the moment the check arrives so he can have time to dispatch his agent.

Week later I got an airmail letter from London, and inside was a certified check from the RBE. I don't know what those look like exactly, but this one was printed on the kind of paper our money's printed one (small blue and red threads in the paper), a watermark of the Queen and holographic ink.

Knew better than to deposit it.

Short time later I get another email from him asking if I've gotten it yet. Said I hadn't, and could he send it registered mail.

About a week later I have to go and sign for something at the post office. Same check.

Didn't do anything with it again, and a couple days later I got an email saying he knew I'd gotten his check. Why hadn't I emailed him like I'd said, was I trying to scam him and don't even think of cashing it and keeping the money.

I wrote back with the local police chief's name and police number. Told him to bugger off.

Never heard back. Now, you may wonder why I did all this stuff.

Even if he (more likely organized crime) was counterfeiting those checks, the paper and ink would have been resources. And airmail is expensive, not to mention certified airmail.

The more resources they wasted on me, they wouldn't be able to focus on other marks.

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Craigslist is so bad nowadays.

Facebook marketplace has been much better for me recently. Not nearly as sketchy and anonymous.

11. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

There's an RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland) and there is a Bank of England but there ain't no Royal Bank of England unless it's the name of a pub somewhere.

12. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

Clear scam but the part that is confusing me is why is somebody risking criminal fraud for a $160 item? I guess they must be taking a scatter gun approach and sending out thousands of attempts just to get a few that succeed. But you get a big old bass and then have to flip it to a fence, probably for peanuts after all that work. It would probably be easier to earn $100 or less legitimately.

13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-Talker

All this scam needs is a bouncy Scott Joplin tune to go with it...

14. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

"Scama lama... in the rama lama ding dong..."

15. carver

carver Gone strangling Strat-Talk Supporter

I normally reply to these adds with a fake email address, and I just send them photos of fat naked people or I try to ask them for their hand in marriage.

16. Hippieway

Hippieway Strat-Talker

Every time I list on CL I get a reply exactly like that. If I bother to respond it's always "money in hand and face to face"

17. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

It amazes me how mad those friendly, generous people get when you send them pictures of my dog in provocative poses. Plus they always stand me up when I offer to meet them at the local McDonald's playground. Rudeness I tell you, just plain rudeness.:D

18. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You responded with more tact than I did. I had the same come at me during my last CL sale . Wanted to pay 50$ more than advertised for my 1960b .

19. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

I listed a car once on CL and got pretty much the same thing, including lots of "good" reasons he couldn't come in person and was working with a relative, who later said he couldn't come in person. Almost certainly a scam, and even if it's not, why bother going through such an odd transaction in the first place? I'd rather sell it for less to GC if that was the only other option than deal with something like this.

20. ChukkerNation

ChukkerNation Senior Stratmaster

The way the scam used to work is that they offer you more money and they ask you to send back the overage. You sell item for $1000. They send you a check for $2000 and ask you to send back $800. They will pick up the item later. You send back the $800. A week to two weeks later, the check gets dishonored and you lose the provisional $2000 credit in your bank. You’re out $800. You still have the item but your $800 is somewhere in Nigeria.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.