Could this case have belonged to Ritcie Blackmore? Deep Purple

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by fisaras, Sep 30, 2021.

1. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Stencils were a lot easier to get than band stickers in the 70s.

Thrup'ny Bit and jrbirdman like this.
  2. RussV

RussV Senior Stratmaster

Probably real. I once owned an old Hiwatt 4x12 cab with Bad Fingers name\logo on the back.
    Many years ago I also saw (and could have bought) one of Mitch Mitchell's drum cases. It had 'Hendrix Experience' stencilled on it. Kicked myself ever since!

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  3. workerunit

workerunit Strat-Talk Member

Yes, especially a stoned, drunk and wired out roadie.

As for the case, it would be easy to fake, but you never know.

The real question is were you asked to pay extra for the case because of the stencils???

jrbirdman likes this.
  4. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

Anything's possible.

On the other hand.

I worked in a music store (technically, I was originally hired to demo and sell pianos and organs) and eventually took over the guitar end of things.
    We did all kinds of things (usually not particularly overt) to sell guitars. If we had a guitar sitting around for a long time, we'd give it the best setup in the shop and let someone "discover" it as the best playing guitar on the wall.

Another thing we'd do is spray paint a logo or a band name on a case (or the back of a 4x12 cabinet) and then beat it up to make it look roadworn. We'd leave the case out where it would be half-hidden but easy enough to spot, and then field the inevitable questions on what guitar was associated with *that* case. Inevitably, gone in a week. Especially true if we left rusty strings on the guitar. We never actually said the case belonged to a famous player in a famous band, just that we took the guitar in on trade.

There's one (or several) born every minute.

CB91710 likes this.
  5. jdw3

jdw3 New Member!

I remember a pawn shop in the mid '80s that had a double necked Rickenbacher with a case that read, GENESIS BAND. Could it be? I think not. But the RB case looks legit.

6. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

I think his greatest claim to fame was apparently being the shop assistant in Jim Marshall's store who sold a teenage Blackmore a used '61 ES-335.... as used on all the DP mk1 stuff and then up to and including 'Child In TIme' with mk2.

PS. As for the OP's original question about the case I'd say it's perfectly possible.

Back in '93 Ian Gillan threw dozens of them out...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Mr_Lahey and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  7. ZZDoc

ZZDoc Strat-Talker

Find Mike Eldred and send him the photos. When he was with Fender he was involved in the Blackmore Artist Series Strat project.

CB91710 likes this.
  8. Paul47

Paul47 Strat-Talker

As an interesting sidetrack....both Mitch Mitchell and Ritchie Blackmore appeared in the 1963 British film Live it Up. At 18.05 we see a young Mitch and at 46.00 there's Ritchie playing his 335 when he was in the Outlaws. Steve Marriot is in it too.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Stratbats and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  9. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Those were the days!

Recorded during the time Blackmore was doing session work for Joe Meek. I'm sure somewhere I've read the band were miffed as they had to really rush either to or back from a gig to get to the filming.

You probably also know that that's MIck Underwood on the drums later of 'Gillan' fame (amongst many others) and Chas Hodges from Chas & Dave on the 12 string acoustic before he was widely associated with the piano.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  10. nifnof70

nifnof70 Strat-O-Master

Never knew this clip existed--That's really cool!

11. train

train Fender 1 —the met. Silver Member

Without provenance it’s a lot of work to remove. I hate when they do that. Whoever.

12. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Ultimately, this.
    You can talk to 20 techs that worked for DP, and 15 of them might tell you "Ya, that's how we tagged the cases, two names top and bottom, usually we'd flip one so you'd see it at any angle, but not always... that might be one of ours"

But in the end, without provenance, it's a Fender HSC worth no more than any other early 70s Fender HSC.