CP 50's strat - Love it, absolutely love it!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Axis29, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

So,

I plunked down a little cash on an '06 Classic Player's 50's Stratocaster in Shoreline Gold yesterday. After giving over my hard earned cash, I sat and played it for about an hour or so. I played through the Boss Display pedal tower thingie.

First I played it through the 59 Bassman pedal and that thing just sang to me. Beautiful a bit broken up, beautiful clean. Tone for days!

Then, I tried the 65 Reverb pedal. Didn't really care for that pedal much, but I didn't spend much time with it either. I probably could have tweaked something eventually, but I was impatient and really happy with the bassman tone.

The g string pulled slightly out of tune (after me playing it for a bit), so switched sides of the tower to the array of pedals side. I used the tuner pedal and tuned her up (she was a tad flat all over) and turned on the reverb pedal. WOW! SAH-WEEEET. Turned on the delay pedal and had a beautiful surfy/rockabilly sound. Then played with a blues driver some and kept going back to that super clean reverby sound. Man I love this dang guitar!!!!

They had a little Marshal J-something-or-other head that my buddy who works there wanted me to plug into.... it sounded so full and rich through those tubes! Very clean amp. We were afraid to turn it up really loud... to find the grit, but no matter where he cranked the knobs it sounded good!

Those 57/62 pickups are a joy to behold. All of the switch positions sound good to me. The neck/bridge position is an interesting one that I look forward to exploring more!

The neck feels so nice... I'm really looking forward to bringing it home and plugging it into my Mesa and giving it a good going over! I can't wait to put new strings on her and get the action lowered a hair... make sure it's intonated correctly, etc. And then play the crap out of this guitar!

Guess I'll have to change my avatar soon!

2. Strat-Talk

Strat-Talk Administrator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Both models of the CP Strat are great guitars. You can't go wrong with one of these from my experience.

Good luck with your new guitar!

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member

Axis 29 finally bought the guitar

I am very pleased to see you went out and got one, they are nice, especially the neck. I like yer descriptions of some of the different tones, and I wonder how much time the Affinity will get, John.

Actually, I understand the 2008 Am Std Strat has virtually the same bridge plate and saddles assembly, and were you to get the Callaham CP block, you'd leapfrog over the 2008 Am Std and have a better guitar, with better pickups and no doubt a tastier neck.

This CP 50's is in a lot of ways not so different from my Am Se 60th Cubic Zirconium; same pickups, same basic bridge architecture (just with offset saddle mounting ). I can fix mine to sound like yours if I get the Callaham offset saddles and install one of these nice big necks I bought from USACG or Warmoth and I'll have only spent $ 200 more than you.

You were due, you made the right choice.

Bubbanov

4. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

Thanks Boris!

I'm still very excited to bring her home and give her the real workout! Maybe next week...

I may check out that Callaham block. Might be an interesting upgrade... funny thing, I really don't see any need to change anything else any time soon. Maybe add a tweed amp? LOL

OH yeah, I have the little 60th anniversary medallion on the back of the headstock too.... new old stock! LOL

I Think the Affinity may end up feeling a bit left out! I've never been terribly fond of the neck... but who knows, maybe I'll find a nice v neck to put on it and some vintage F tuners.... then I may end up looking for some different pickups, maybe Tex Mex or something, who knows, it may still see some playing time with some changes?!?!?! It sure has been good to me. never failed me on stage or plinking around. And it's taken a beating and kept coming back for more!