Join Strat-Talk Today

Craigslist Verification - 60's Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by NHILL1, Apr 11, 2016.

1. NHILL1

NHILL1 Strat-Talker

http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/5479971543.html

This is posted as an American 60's reissue strat, similar (from the looks of it) to Mick from "That Pedal Show" on youtube.

Could anyone verify is this is an American strat, likewise a 60's reissue? It looks like a steal for $450 but I just wanted to make sure that it is what it's listed as.

2. bluenote23

bluenote23 Strat-Talker

Well, I am not so up to date on the most recent reissues but I don't think there was ever a Stratocaster reissue with a bound neck. And though the picture is very small, it looks like the 12th fret dot markers are too wide for a Fender made product.

So what I am saying is I think the neck is not made by Fender and is a fake as is probably the rest of the guitar.

3. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Counting headlice on the highway Strat-Talk Supporter

That's not a Fender produced stratocaster. It's a partcaster with god knows which parts, you'd need to pick her apart and see whats what.

The neck is, I'm guessing 99% sure that it's an Allparts neck with bound binding. I used to have one of them and it's great neck. This one has a repro mid 60's Decal

The only neck that Fender produces with bound binding is the Eric Johnson rosewood models. Other than those Fender produced a few strats back in time during a short time of 1966/67 and the strats had the big CBS headstock and those bound binding necks had block inlays.

The guitar looks quite nice actually considering it's a partcaster I'd guess it's made out of at least quality parts but again you need to look inside and look closely.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  4. johnnyha

johnnyha Senior Stratmaster

That decal is all crooked too.

5. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

Someone else posted this a while back.. I like it. Looks a lot like the Eric Johnson bound neck strat.. Who knows the origin of any of it.. I like dots + binding necks personally.

6. NHILL1

NHILL1 Strat-Talker

Y'all have some sharp eyes, I was wondering myself about the binding on the neck.

One thing though, the block and tuners look correct in terms of what the reissue's were using. But y'all may be right in that it may just be partsocaster, just thought I'd get some other eyes on it before I go further.

7. Guy Named Sue

I'm pretty certain it's the Allparts bound strat neck. If you ask for a picture of the neck heel there should be a burn mark that says Allparts Fender Lic

Someone has slapped a repro vintage decal on it.
    [​IMG]

8. NHILL1

NHILL1 Strat-Talker

Does this totally ruin it's value or would it still be worth it? It appears to have a big steel block, vintage tuners and who knows what kind of pickups. To me having a "workable" guitar with American spec's is kind of important.

That said, is the re-sale value severely crippled if the only thing that was "partsocaster" was the neck? To my eyes, the body looks possibly correct.

9. Guy Named Sue

It's partcaster so the value comes down to the parts not as a whole guitar. Like I said if it is the Allparts bound neck it's good, great necks. But then again you have to try it and see if it works good and if the electronics are quality parts or not.

10. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

I would say don't do it because the seller is being dishonest in the first place regardless if the parts alone are worth more than 450.

johnnyha likes this.
  11. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

it's probably worth more than 450 in parts. If it plays nice I'd buy it. just know it is a parts caster and isn't made up wholly of fender parts

12. Yogi

there is also a bound 65 strat that Fender Japan produced with the transition logo and small headstock.Its been out of production for a while but they pop up every now and then.

13. Guy Named Sue

I didn't knew that Yogi. Thanks

14. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah I posted this one last week. Seemed very odd to me

Folk_Hogan likes this.
  15. NHILL1

NHILL1 Strat-Talker

High-five from a fellow Texan!

But yeah, I'm 50-50 on whether or not to engage, it has things I like. I'm not in a rush though, I may meet the dude feel it out and decide on the spot.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  16. Yogi

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.