Craziest guitar opinion you hold...

Mr. Lumbergh

needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.
Jan 10, 2014
Initech, Inc.
Guitars with curved bodies, I.e. starts, teles, SG's and LP's have a better cooler tone than pointy bodied guitars. Probably because I'm not into metal!
They do, but that's likely because the guys that play the pointy ones scoop the mids completely out so you're left with a shrill mess.

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
Florida
Let's have a little fun at our own expense. What opinion do you hold that you can't back up with any science at all, it's just how you feel? My personal one makes absolutely zero sense but whatever. I don't like bolt on dual humbucker guitars. I have no problems with bolt on guitars obviously. I suppose it goes back to Gibsons being HH guitars and they're not bolt on.

I dislike wood grain patterns on my headstocks, and particularly on maple fretboards it really bothers me. Birdseye or flame is fine, but I won't buy a guitar that has a "grainy" maple neck. It looks like they just grabbed any old board to make a neck out of it. It distracts me, and I suspect (un-necessarily I'm sure) that the neck will one day crack along one of those grain lines.

Liko

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 26, 2015
DFW, TX
The Gibson SG looks satanic.
You're not crazy for thinking that; I got rid of an Ibby SG clone for much the same reason, looked too aggressive and metal for the gigs I usually do. The brownburst look, though, is right up my alley. My current HH is one of these:

POP_LPStudio-WB.jpg

stratocarlster

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 6, 2012
Telephone Road
okay, this is maybe a little bit off topic, but i think hendrix was a engaged in crucial spiritual/surreal warfare against universal malevolent forces using earthly physical manifestations - namely strats/pedals/amps - and he won key battles but died on the field.

Wow and I thought I was the only one! Isn't the internet amazing for bringing like-minded people together?

mojosman

Strat-O-Master
Mar 24, 2013
Western Mass
This is not so much a crazy opinion, as it is a crazy thing I do. On my parts-casters I obsess over the neck plate, and try and find just the right one. I spend too much money on the neck plate that I thought really improved the guitar. No one EVER notices the neck plate. ImageUploadedByStrat-Talk forum1452398225.164842.jpg

I put this on my Blackie build. It cost like $35. No one has ever commented on it. In retrospect the plain Fender one would have worked fine.

Mr. Lumbergh

needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.
Jan 10, 2014
Initech, Inc.
This is not so much a crazy opinion, as it is a crazy thing I do. On my parts-casters I obsess over the neck plate, and try and find just the right one. I spend too much money on the neck plate that I thought really improved the guitar. No one EVER notices the neck plate. View attachment 170685

I put this on my Blackie build. It cost like $35. No one has ever commented on it. In retrospect the plain Fender one would have worked fine.
Right there with you brother. It needs to further the personality of the guitar.

Last edited:

Maria

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 21, 2015
Gainesville, FL
The iconic Ibanez and PRS style bodies just turn me off. For no good reason. I have a Ibanez that I love (granted, it's an ART series, so it's a Les Paul style body), and I imagine I would love other Ibanez guitars... but they're just pointy in the wrong places. And PRS is fat in the wrong places. So there you have it.

TimJ

Strat-O-Master
Aug 5, 2012
London
Guitars with curved bodies, I.e. starts, teles, SG's and LP's have a better cooler tone than pointy bodied guitars. Probably because I'm not into metal!

Ah but since this is a highly rational debate, where do you draw the line of "pointy" v "curvy" since arguably the SG ticks both boxes?

I think most of us would take one look at one of these: https://www.biggars.co.uk/01258/Electric-Guitars/BC-Rich-Trans-Red-Mockingbird-ST-41MGSTG and think, "pointy metal guitar" but it's arguably curvy too...

It's great that forums exist to debate the issues the world so avidly yearns to be resolved.

patthestrat

Strat-Talker
Oct 15, 2012
England
I think AVRIs should be priced at the bottom of the American line of guitars. I mean I thought the American Standard was supposed to have numerous improvements over Pre CBS and CBS guitars. So why would they charge more for reissues of the guitars they improved upon rather than the improved guitar itself? (Based on UK prices).

Heartfelt

Strat-Talker
Jun 9, 2013
UK
The quality, value and availability of gear, recording and media has improved greatly. The quality, importance and worth of music has deteriorated at the same rate.
I'll say (arbitrarily)1985 as the tipping point, civilization finally ironed the bugs out of it. We have angry music with no real anger behind it. Arty and "experimental" music that retreads well-worn paths. Formulaic funk and pre-chewed dance.
Good music does still exist in the same way tigers exist. Beautiful, hard to find and nearing extinction.

I seriously believe if all four Beatles could have reunited at Live Aid, we could have put out the "closed" sign.

nhsdpl

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 21, 2012
West Australia
The quality, value and availability of gear, recording and media has improved greatly. The quality, importance and worth of music has deteriorated at the same rate.
I'll say (arbitrarily)1985 as the tipping point, civilization finally ironed the bugs out of it. We have angry music with no real anger behind it. Arty and "experimental" music that retreads well-worn paths. Formulaic funk and pre-chewed dance.
Good music does still exist in the same way tigers exist. Beautiful, hard to find and nearing extinction.

I seriously believe if all four Beatles could have reunited at Live Aid, we could have put out the "closed" sign.

What are you doing here, dude?

If I was carrying around that kind of jaded, world-weary baggage, the last place I would want to hang-out is a guitar/music forum.

My advice, for what it is worth, take off the dung coloured glasses and just . . . . dig it

It's never been better :thumb:

Cheers.