Creative Guitar Studio, Justin Guitar, other online instruction...favorites?

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by LeftCoast, Mar 24, 2021.

1. LeftCoast

LeftCoast Strat-Talker

Hi all.

I realize most everyone here is advanced well beyond the nuts and bolts of playing guitar, but looking for some guidance on where my learning time might be best spent. In-person is out for viral reasons, obviously. There's tons of individual videos on YouTube that are great, but I'm concerned about ordered structure to some degree; I don't want to put the cart before the horse, if you catch my meaning. I think this has contributed to me quitting in the past.

I'm not brand new to guitar, I've learned most common chords, Barres, etc, but I have meandered through the years, and now am looking for some daily structure. I know way more theory than the actuality of realizing that on a fingerboard (some piano, heavy vocals), but I'm motivated with the lockdown. I need structure, in a big way.

I've been doing Justin guitar online, but something's missing...I can't quite put my finger on it, although his strumming pay instruction seems legit.

I've really been drawn to Andrew Wasson of Creative Guitar Studio (.com). He seems to be pretty gifted at instruction, and more than just teaching you things, he puts emphasis on the why of the stuff you're learning. He's a graduate of GIT.

Any thoughts on this guy's methods? Any other instructors worth mentioning?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    circles likes this.
  2. Caedarn

Caedarn Strat-Talker

I’ve read good thIngs about Tomo Fujitas Guitar Wisdom.

LeftCoast likes this.
  3. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

David Walliman.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    myredstrat, LeftCoast and fos1 like this.
  4. ak-25

ak-25 Strat-Talker

Active Melody - nice mellow and informative.

Too many of the others seem to spend too much shouting and telling you how great they are, how their system is unique and how it can change your life :D

LeftCoast likes this.
  5. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Strat-Talk Member

Fender Play for me. They offered it free for 3 months last Spring. When the 3 months were over, they offered a year for $49. Totally worth it for me. I use it on my laptop, and it's a great interface IMO, and I use it every day.

And they offer 10% off on everything Fender sells on their site. I ended up ordering a new guitar later last year and my local store was happy to match the 10% off, so it's paid for itself.

Baelzebub, cranky and LeftCoast like this.
  6. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

If you're interested in learning Country/Delta Blues Tom Feldman is my go to video tutorialer guy.

He is to the point, explains things very well and in context of why its done that way and the history behind the stuff where it applies and best of all sounds very authentic.

Baelzebub and LeftCoast like this.
  7. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

Understandably the lock down has made in person instruction impossible.
    So the internet is currently what we have. Pick the course that motivates you to play. If they offer Skype lessons or something like that, I recommend you try a few. This will give you valuable feedback on what YOU need to work on specifically.
    Good luck and play play play

LeftCoast likes this.
  8. LeftCoast

LeftCoast Strat-Talker

Thanks for the responses, and keep them coming! I've already checked out some suggestions (and will get to them all), and they are interesting. The common theme seems to be to get out of playing just "cowboy chords," and work up the neck as much as possible...perfectly aligned with my thinking, as well.

I'm sure there are many, many others, but I think this Andrew Wasson @ Creative Guitar Studio is the real deal. I like his philosophy and straightforward approach of not only telling you what to work on, but why it's so important, for ear training/improvisation, etc. He stresses learning stuff in the "correct" order, which I know has caused me to stumble several times within the last two decades. After one lesson, I put in @ 6 hours yesterday and worked-out/memorized the entire fingerboard, which is no small feat for me! (The Snyder 4-hour cut of Justice League helped, too!)

This is but one of the videos I've found informative, but the guy has tons of stuff like this that really seems like it'll tie my theory knowledge together.

Caedarn and rocknrollrich like this.
  9. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

That's great. Sounds like you found what works for you.

Side note tho... you might learn some things that aren't in the "correct order"
    that's ok. Never turn down a learning opportunity. If someone shows you something, don't be afraid to use it.

I mean, I understand Andrew Wasserman's point, and he is getting you to put one foot in front of the other. Totally correct.
    I'm just saying, sometimes you might learn an advanced technique from someone.... take it all in.

10. LeftCoast

LeftCoast Strat-Talker

Oh yes, I understand that, and thanks for the heads-up.

I've been looking for something to give me a more pointed structure, but certainly I'm branching out. I learn one thing, then suddenly, some of the other stuff I've touched upon comes into better focus, and needs exploration. My brain works way faster than my butt can keep up, but I don't think this is a bad thing. I'm just psyched that this go-around feels so different, and I'm not going to take failure as an option. I've always been intimidated by all the directions of the fingerboard...left/right, up/down, diagonally...the keyboard seems much more straight-forward (but no less difficult at mastering, I'm certain), but 6 hours yesterday really cleared that up for me. If only I'd done this 30 freaking years ago...but you can't pee backwards.

Thanks again, Rich.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  11. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I think sometimes the time for learning is just right and sometimes it isn’t. When I first started trying to seriously play guitar, I was already able to play some basic piano, recorder and trombone, so I could read music and I could figure out the notes on the fretboard but beyond cowboy chords and simple melodies, making that jump to advanced playing is hard. I probably played as a mediocre level player for 30 years. For some reason about 10 years ago, I started making big improvements but I’m still constantly learning and improving my technique. I think the key is to fully immerse yourself in guitar and music; make everything about it 24/7 and you’re bound to improve.

I like Justin Guitar. The exercises he suggests are helpful for early players and I’ll bet if I had access to his lessons when I was a kid, I would have made faster progress.

I looked at Andrew Wasson’s stuff several years ago when I was looking for scale exercises. I’ll have to give his lessons a serious look again. I’ve read lots of good stuff about him.

It’s funny seeing printouts from Creative Guitar, with Andrew Wasson’s name on them. There aren’t many Wasson’s around and I think the ones in Canada are all pretty tightly related so I’ll bet we’re only a few great aunts and uncles apart.

Baelzebub and LeftCoast like this.
  12. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

For fretboard knowledge, I've learned a lot of very useful things from Ben Eller, Steve Stein and Paul Davids.

If you like blues specifically, there's an English guy on YT, Tim Daley Blues. He also happens to have the best CAGED lesson I've ever seen.

LeftCoast likes this.
  13. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

14. GuitarGeni

GuitarGeni Strat-Talk Member

From a previous post.

15. Pisces One

Pisces One Strat-Talk Member

Maybe this? You can audit for free.

Bob the builder likes this.
  16. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member