Cryowire fret wire...any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by T Bone Slort, Dec 10, 2020.

1. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" Silver Member

My 91 Strat Plus Deluxe is in need of a re-fret

Since our beloved local luthier passed away at end of January I’ve been hesitant to take it to just anyone.

This week I started the search in earnest and I’ve been asking for stainless frets as I tend to be a bit heavy handed.

One response came back suggesting they would use Cryowire instead of stainless.

Doe’s anyone have any experience with this fret wire?

2. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Never used nor even seen it before. But reading up on the process (precious little web stuff on the actual frets), if done correctly, it should--in a perfect world--make tooling last 100 percent longer. Frets aren't tooling per se and who knows how well the process is really done. But my best guess with a layman's understanding of metallurgy is that good stainless wire would outlast it. The advantage of Cryowire is probably that it lasts longer than regular fret material but is easier to work with than stainless. Depending on the cost, I might use it, but mainly because I've never worn regular frets out (yet) and so I have never felt the need for stainless.

T Bone Slort likes this.
  3. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Go either evo gold(middle of the way between nickel and stainless) or better yet stainless and enjoy slick and trouble free playing for ever.I dont know people that used cryowire but if it involves NS frets even treated "differently" iam out.Its like having a pot metal strat bridge...and replacing with another pot metal bridge instead of going full brass or stainless...

4. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Gibson use cryogenically treated frets and it's humbug. Go for stainless, the ones I've had were amazing.

Triple Jim likes this.