Curious....anyone feel their whammy bar is right in the way?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Deafsoundguy, Jan 5, 2021.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Just aping Hendrix. ;)

2. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Silver Member

Since you said you never used one, I'm the same, just block it and junk the bar. Bought my Mod Shop Strat as a hard tail. I never could like one of those flopping around or getting my shirt sleve caught up in it, etc....
    A lot of peoples playing styles and tastes require one, I guess they just adjust and adapt to them.

3. Tanneman

Tanneman Strat-Talk Member

About going out of tune: you really can’t expect the standard strat whammy bar system to stay in tune when going “deep” like EVH did. Just use it moderately, and it won’t go out of tune, provided you use it, use it, and use it. In my experience this gets the springs in “shape”. Good luck.

4. mschafft

mschafft Strat-Talker

1. Remove any virtual crushed tremolo arm spring from the cavity.
    2. Soak new trem arm spring in vasoline, put it in and it will stay there unless you want to remove it with a tooth pick.
    3. Screw on trem arm without forcing it.
    4. Every time you want the trem arm out of the way turn it counter clock wise to avoid curshing the spring (half a turn).
    5. Repeat step 3 if you've removed the trem arm for any reason.

EC Strat likes this.
  5. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

I enjoy a left handed bar in my right handed trem. Right trem is better when you have the lefty trem. It centers things much better.

6. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

I have half my guitars as hardtails right now (Teles and such), but lately after getting my new modeling pedal and basking in glorious programmed reverb and delay, it's been really fun to do slight dips of detuning, especially on harmonics :). I really like the way the PRS arm just holds in by sheer pressure, but then again you have to take time to swing it up. I'd rather just have an arm that could stay in place when I want and swing out of the way when I want. You need very little pressure on the arm to do most detunes. So I came up with a plan with the Wilkinson tremolo system which works WAY better than all the rest I've tried (for me anyway). So the plan is to counter-clockwise the arm out the way where it spins 270* and stays out of the way, then you hit it quick up clock-wise and it spins back and stops perfectly in position (the Wilkensons are threaded internally on the bar). To do that and stay out of the way for strumming, I had to cut the arm back to 2-7/8" (7.3 cm). It sounds really short but it's still quite long enough for easy pressure with just my little finger. And at that length, I can rest my little finger on the arm and still pick or whatever. In the end, it came out perfect for me, I absolutely love it and get the best of all worlds :).

Just to be anal about it, I milled a nice little finger cutout for indexing right where I want my finger to be.

First pic is Wilkinson bar at normal length and right in the way for me anyhow. Pic 2 and 3 are the new stub look. Pic 4 is showing the clearance now on the bar while still on the downstroke of a hard strum. Last pic is showing my finger resting on the new milled cutout while picking my guitar and my nose. Funny how the camera makes my hands look like I ate 50 doughnuts last night and aged 20 years :(. Dammit
    Arm at full length.jpg Stub arm1.jpg Stub arm2.jpg Downstroke clearance.jpg Finger while picking.jpg

7. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Silver Member

Cool, I can dig that. I even have a digitech whammy pedal in case I want to use that tone once in a great while, even does EVH "crash and burn" dives.:D Anyway, I'm probably, in the Strat world anyway, in the minority, doesn't care for a "whammy bar", rather than the majority. Heck, I would bet good money I'm in the overwhelming minority. :confused:

Rebelvis and Deafsoundguy like this.
  8. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Whammy bar is in a wooden box in my workshop, not in the way at all

jbylake likes this.
  9. GitGeek

GitGeek Livin' After Midnight Gold Supporting Member

It's not always about adjusting and adapting. If you started out day 1 leaving it in place and learning with a trem arm there and available, even if its very little, it feels like second nature.

I've never owned an electric without a trem, I'm not interested in a hardtail.

For me that's like saying you have a car with a turbo charger but not able to use it because, well, it's just a bit too much.

Deafsoundguy and EC Strat like this.
  10. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 The Wizard next door................

For some odd reason, mine never gets in the way.............................;):D

[​IMG]

11. TrogdorBurninator

TrogdorBurninator Strat-Talker

When I use a whammy bar, It doesn't change the sound. Only when other people play it it works.

12. Caffiend

Caffiend Strat-Talk Member

Obvs this is a matter of taste as the Strat and its derivatives are hardly an unpopular design.

For myself, it varies. My Strats, I have the bar loose but also replace it for a Gilmour style. When I want it, it’s there and perfectly placed and when I don’t, it’s gone. My Ibanezes with Original and LoPro Edges I usually keep the bar tight and to hand - although I don’t do whatever this ‘hand glued to the bridge’ thing is unless a touch of palm damping is needed- although that’s hardly the preserve of ‘metal’. I actually generally play with a pretty openhanded style.

Sounds to me like OP neither understands nor has encountered a properly setup trem bridge. Not a big deal, but personal dislike does not equate to ‘design flaw’.

13. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

I own exactly one Fender (a bass) and just never developed any interest in strats.

I *do* own a bunch of guitars with Floyds and several older Carvins with Wilkinson trems. The Floyds on my LPs (and LP-alikes) keep the silly things in tune. For a long time I played the Carvins (and the Carvins with Kahlers) without the bar in place, and the Wilkinsons in particular are pretty much a hardtail in that configuration. I don't whang away with my strumming; its pretty contained, so bar location hasn't been an issue.

14. Mustrat

Mustrat Strat-Talker

99% of the time mine is in the case not the guitar so it is only in the way when I reach in for something else.

Additionally if I ever do feel the need to upgrade from my Fullerton Legacy it will be for an option order Legacy with the hardtail.

I use the vibrato for maybe two or three songs in my arsenal that get pulled out maybe once a year.

15. mim#1

mim#1 Strat-Talk Member

Both my strat's are set up with floating trems. [strats sound better like this and strings bend so smoothly]. But I rarely use it. However, if I ever leave the bar off at a show [remember those?] I will inevitable reach for it for a dramatic dive or tremolo flutter and look like an idiot cause the bar I reached for isn't there.....

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  16. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

You should patent that design dude!

ukoldgit likes this.
  17. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

I cut and bend them to fit where I like them, so it floats in the palm of my hand about from ring finger.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  18. holyjaguar

holyjaguar Strat-Talk Member

Try the short stiff spring that should have come with the guitar,or buy a package,(you get like 5 or 6)you just drop one in the tremolo hole;insert trem. arm,screw in,and go(does not work with push in Bars) another method oft mentioned already, I`m sure, teflon (plumbers) Tape,I use it on some of my Strats that won`t use a spring(see Picture)

Attached Files:

circles likes this.
  19. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Messed around with a couple of designs, and this was the simplest without getting into a proper heavy gauge spring (instead of the silicon tube) which would have to have had soft washers moulded into it to prevent damage to the trem plate and the collar modified to retain the spring on the arm when removing it.
    The silicon tube having a 4mm inside diameter means it's a push fit on the bar so stays there.
    As others have mentioned the Fender springs do work (until you crush or lose them) but only on trem blocks that have blind holes and most imports are open ended.

20. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

anyone feel their whammy bar is right in the way?

Only when I'm looking for something in the drawer.

mschafft, Deafsoundguy and ukoldgit like this.