1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Current AVRI used prices

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Johnny Danger, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

Honestly just looking for input as I'm thinking of selling my '62 CAR AVRI from 1999. I thought I'd take a quick glance on Reverb, but prices seem all over the map.

Fair used condition with case and case candy. Any ideas?

2. Johnny Danger

3. Hawk3y3

Hawk3y3 New Member!

They certainly seem higher than I’d expect, but whether people are buying... yours looks to be in really good condition. I’d keep it :)

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  4. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

I just saw a mint 59 AVRI in Sherwood Green, guys asking 1800 euros... pretty high but if the demand is there... Depends on your part of the world I guess, but you can always start up high and lower the price- other way round, not so much.

5. Spats

Spats Strat-Talk Member

Is that not a AV (the series from around 2010)? These would have slightly higher prices. I am not aware of there having been a '59 AVRI, but they did have a '59 AV.

The nomenclature does cause confusion, and AVs are often referred to as AVRIs, and it's not surprising, since the (later) AVs are themselves ReIssues.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  6. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

That may be the case, I am not sure, sorry for any confusion!

7. hcski25

hcski25 Strat-Talker

In general there seems to be way fewer used guitars/amps on the market right now. So therefore, prices have crept up significantly. I've posted a few things locally that I'm not in a rush to get rid of, but will sell them if I get my price.

I'd say price it aggressively on the high end of what you see for similar gear on Reverb, but be open to offers/trades. I've had some trades go WAY in my favor because it was just easier for the other party.

In fact, one trade was probably $1500 in my favor. I was suspicious, so I asked the guy why he didn't just sell his gear and buy mine? His response..."If I sell my gear, my wife will make me put the money towards bills. If I trade, she'll have no idea what the stuff was worth."

drp146, Hairy Bear, tubedude and 3 others like this.
  8. Spats

Spats Strat-Talk Member

No apology required on my account.

I would certainly rather be a better guitar player than have an in-depth knowledge of Fender guitars (and from my earlier post, you can guess which one I am!).

FrieAsABird likes this.
  9. Johnny Danger

10. macoshark

macoshark Strat-O-Master

From what I've seen the '62 AVRI has the highest asking price of all the AVRIs. No idea what they go for but they don't seem to hang around to long on Craigs. You might take a step back and really reconsider selling. I go through periods where I'm only playing one of my 4 Strats and then switch to another. I do wonder why I have 4 sometimes.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  11. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

IMO, it depends on how anxious both seller & buyer are. Also the patience, (and pickiness) of buyer's play a large role. They were made in an array of colors through the year's. Speaking here strictly of the AVRI, they were produced for nearly 30 years? The last year, 2012 I know they built the Limited Edition Tropical Turquoise. Not sure if they did any other LEs through those prior years. In my thinking it would come down to condition & how much a buyer wants a particular color.
    As someone mentioned, the post AVRIs, 56, 59, 65 AVs, I imagine were produced in smaller numbers in fewer colors, maybe 2 each & had a way smaller run in number of years.
    I remember when the OP got his around 2 years ago or so?
    Anyway, they had bottomed out at around that point on the lower end of the spectrum at $1000 or so depending on variables such as condition, color, etc.
    I don't see them going any lower than that but foresee a slow, gradual increase. Sorry about the long winded post. :cool:

12. Johnny Danger

You nailed it there. I want to say I got it for a grand. Seems crazy that it would have nearly doubled in price.

Honestly, it's a great guitar but I got an MIM classic series that sort of kicks its ass. The AVRI is gorgeous and it plays great, glass smooth neck, but it just doesn't have the tone I dig. It was a step up when I bought it, but now it just collects dust. I don't like dust collectors.

At this point, the only reason I'm hanging onto it is because it's factory fresh-ish and a great player. But it's not something I play, so that bothers me.

13. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

Think of it as money in the bank. No rush to move on it. Not trying to influence you but were it mine I'd be tempted to swap in some pups I know I love. Food for thought.

14. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

'd pull up what's on Reverb, toss out the highest and the lowest...or 2 of each depending on how many there are, and then look under the Specs and toss out anything that's been there way to long. Once you've got a pared down list you can zero in on a range.

Then put yourself somewhere just under the highest and see what happens. If you want to get the best chance of selling in the most reasonable time, see if you can find out what the last one in similar condition actually sold for. That's your best comp for this point in time.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

16. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

I have nine Strats right now, 6 are AV/AVRI. They all get played, and I keep them because of the cost to replace them. If I sold any of them, I would not get any sleep thinking about what I had done.

ZlurkCorzDog and macoshark like this.
  17. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Fender should’ve never stopped this product line

18. macoshark

macoshark Strat-O-Master

Yeah, there all, this might sound odd, good friends. Some day who knows, you might be ok letting some go, or not. It's cool you play all you have, I like your style

19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Hi @Johnny Danger I don't like dust collectors either and tend to move them on. In this case, though, it's a guitar that is "gorgeous and plays great". Before moving it on, I'd try to get from it the tones you like. I don't mean changing pickups – everyone speaks about how great the 57/62s are. I mean taking a fair amount of time (say, 3-4 hours) to set it up to a tee, give it fresh strings, review pickup height anxiously, and look for the best settings on your amp and on the guitar's knobs. IME, one little turn of the screw or of the knob can give that little extra that puts a smile on your face.

Don't let her go before you make 100% certain that she can't give you what you want (Lord, this reads like a phrase from a cheap romantic novel…).