Current AVRI used prices

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Johnny Danger, Oct 16, 2020.

1. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

The American Vintage (AV) Series started in 1982-1998. A slightly different American Vintage series ran from 1999-2012. And a third AV series, colloquially known as AVRIs, ran from 2013- 2018(?).
    Names taken directly from the catalogs. I can't find any catalog that uses the term American Vintage Reissue (AVRI).
    DIgital copies of catalogs available here...
    https://guitar-compare.com/catalogs/fender-catalogs/

As far as pricing goes, I'll throw my two-cents in.
    I follow the market (fancy way to say I look at Reverb and eBay regularly). IMO, the pricings go (highest to lowest)
    1982-1986 AVs
    2013-2018 (?) AVs
    1999-2012 AVs
    1997-1998 AVs (but the last two could be flip-flopped easily)

IMO, a decent one from those two groups should fetch $1300-1800.

@Johnny Danger - nice looking guitar.
    The 1999-2012 AVs have a slightly different (better) neck shape than the earlier ones (of which I have a couple). I don't see many '99-'12s for sale recently.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    RadioFM74 and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  2. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Actually you flipped the colloquial names - the first series (1982-mid 1998) and the second series (mid 1998-August 2012) are the ones referred to as "AVRI"; the third series (August 2012-2017) are the ones referred to as "AV".

mabley123 and guitarchaeologist like this.
  3. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

hhhmmm interesting... Guess Ill take the safe path and just use AVs.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  4. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talk Member

mexipan likes this.
  5. CadillacBob

CadillacBob Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Not sure if this helps with your pricing at all - I bought a 2015 AV 56’ aged white blonde in May of this year for $2000 CAD. Excellent condition with all the case candy and original case. Only thing missing was the grey patch cord.
    This one is a keeper for me a really awesome guitar.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  6. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

Well, I just offered it in a trade, so we'll see where that goes. Otherwise, I'm leaving towards listing it locally. Maybe shoot for the moon and say OBO. I mean, it's pretty clean and has all the goodies with it.

I have just been purging stuff this past half year or so. I really only play 2 strats and an acoustic. I've sold three others and now I have two more on the block it seems. Going down from 8 to 3, but will most likely buy another once it's all said and done. Something different since I have strat territory covered.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  7. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

Don't look.

upload_2020-10-17_17-15-55.png

Oops, too late.

Tguitarfloyd and joesatch like this.
  8. Johnny Danger

@ZlurkCorzDog Pretty much, except I have some sort of thing against humbuckers, so I'm shopping for a Les Paul Special with P90's.

Man, high school me wanted a Les Paul exactly like that, though. Back when I "played" guitar and was more concerned with aesthetics than my own personal tone hunt. Basically, guitar was just a fashion accessory to me then.

RadioFM74 and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  9. Johnny Danger

Well, I went ahead and listed it locally for 1700. We'll see if I get any bites. Thinking about putting it up on Reverb for 2k and leaving it open to offers. I have access to shipping at work, so I could feel better about seeing that it's properly packed.

10. Johnny Danger

11. yladrd61

yladrd61 Strat-Talk Member

I have one, same not sure what year it is. I have 30 guitars but that one was my first nice Strat, I bought it on layaway. I had a refret done by a very talented friend of mine, I had Texas Specials in it but i didn't like them. I put in SD SSL-1 vintage staggered with a treble bleed and now it is my favorite guitar, the one I grab when I want to play.

12. Marco Polo

Marco Polo Strat-Talk Member

Around the 1500 US dollars would be a good starting price plus or minus depending on condition, case etc.. Best of luck

13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Good luck Johnny! Revert to the forum when you're back on the buy side: I'm sure that even restricting ourselves to P-90s (oh, how I approve!) we will be capable of making suggestions for an aggregate value of ≈ 1'000'000$ … EVEN if you tell us that the budget is 500$ :D

14. Mustafa Pants

Mustafa Pants New Member! Silver Member

If it helps, I sold one about 18 months ago, obviously long before the market was set fire. Decent shape 2007 57 reissue with case, $1000. But it was a local sale, in a store it would've been more like $1300. So yeah, a little spike.