Join Strat-Talk Today

Curse my living in a small apartment. Fell in love with the fender hot rod deluxe four

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by StratGuy4692, Aug 12, 2019.

1. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-O-Master

So I love my limited edition blues Junior three tweed. But I went to guitar center to try the new hot rod deluxe and I got to say I really love it but I live in a very small apartment and it would just be too loud You would think that fender would start to put built-in attenuators on their amplifiers does anyone know why they don't do this? The hot rod deluxe just has so much more headroom then when I currently have but I just wouldn't be able to get the full benefit of owning a hot rod deluxe it's such a small space. I know that the drive channel is not the best on the hot rod deluxe it never has been but like most people I'd be getting it for the clean head room and getting my drive sounds through pedals.

2. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Move out of the apartment and into the amp?

Elvie, garyhoos1, ajb1965 and 14 others like this.
  4. StratGuy4692

Thanks I'll look into that.

5. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

I have one of the Carl's volume boxes too, put into the effects loop it really helps to tame the beast.

vlxerdon and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

I'm confused, you want the bigger amp but you can't use the bigger amp unless you have the attenuator. Why do you want a bigger amp with MORE headroom if you can't even turn it up to get the benefit of having more headroom? You just want a different amp?

7. s5tuart

s5tuart Resource limit reached Strat-Talk Supporter

Get a Mesa MK V!
    On the 10w setting I can dial in gorgeous tones at really low volume

3bolt79, Cerb and Will Lefeurve like this.
  8. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Better get a van
    With
    High output DC==>>AC inverter...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-B...Lf1I7kj9JLbMT6IwHOXTSR8-b1gabuXhoCeGkQAvD_BwE

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  9. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

It is way too loud. Just stick with the blues junior. For high headroom, turn master up and other one down.

himijendrix and Stratoskater like this.
  10. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Full Marshall stack in case he has overnight guests, they can sleep in the top cab.

11. Antstrat

If you don't plan on using the HR Deluxe drive channel then you'd be a lot better off getting the Blues Deluxe in my opinion. Thing is though neither would make a good small apartment amp as is, 40 watts can get loud very easy. I have the BD and changed the V1 tube from the 12ax7 to a 12AY7 and it did tame the beast while still maintaining it's ballsyness so you *can* make them apartment friendly to a degree.

To compliment your BJ have you looked into the Vox ac10? 10 watts than can get loud but also apartment friendly. It would make a good addition to your BJ without duplicating what you have but would still be in the same tone ballpark.

StratGuy4692 likes this.
  12. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-O-Master

My Princeton Reverb is only 15W but I have never been able to go much past 2 in my small apartment. I can't imagine having 40W at my disposal.
    Someday I would love to hear what my amp sounds like on the edge of break up but that will never happen at home. I use a combination of TS and Klon style pedals when I want some dirt, or simply plug into my THR10.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  13. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

They don't do this because of money, because the answer to every question is "money." :D

Every Fender amp is built to a price point for a target market that will pay that price. You and a 1,000 others would pay $800.00 for a new HRD4. At a price point of $900.00, 999 people say "What? It's not worth it, to me. I don't need an attenuator. If I ever want an attenuator, I'll buy the attenuator that suits me."

Jeffl and Antstrat like this.
  14. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

At my first apartment, I had a Peavey Deuce stacked on a 4x12 that I built.
    My 2nd apartment, I had a Fender Stage Lead 212
    My current condo... among other amps... I have a Carvin X100 112 and a matching 4x10 (oak) I can stack it on (but usually run the Blues Jr through the 410)

Hot Rod Deluxe doesn't have to be too loud for an apartment ;)

StratGuy4692 and Antstrat like this.
  15. StratGuy4692

I don't know I just feel like I'm ready for a big boy amp I know I know The blues Juniors are great maybe if I talk it over with my neighbor see what he thinks I had no intention of using the drive channel on the hot rod deluxe so maybe a blues deluxe would be better. Do they still make that amp? If not do this still do repairs on it?

16. Antstrat

Yes they still make the blues deluxe.

17. StratGuy4692

I've actually looked into it how do you like it it's the same wattage as mine. I might just save it for that it's nice and small like the blues jr but obviously more $$

18. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

Do you run out of headroom in the BJ before it gets too loud for the small apartment? :whistling:

Grux likes this.
  19. Antstrat

20. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Dude the Hot Rod is not a "big boy" amp compared to the Blues Jr or any other small amp. My 12 watt 57 Custom Tweed Deluxe (with my volume knob on the guitar) will hang with most any band without a mic and give me clean to Neil Young style dirt all with a magical 3D quality. Know why, because I'm running the tubes

Hot Rod Deluxe is a very good backline or house amp for a venue to have. It's very loud and very heavy and makes no sense for an apartment player to use.

Elvie, Grux and Will Lefeurve like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.