Join Strat-Talk Today

Curse my living in a small apartment. Fell in love with the fender hot rod deluxe four

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by StratGuy4692, Aug 12, 2019.

1. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-O-Master

Another thing I could do that a lot of people do is replace the tubes with higher quality tubes a lot of people seem to like the JJ el84s and I could get them for a great price I would just need someone here to walk me through how to replace them. I assume I'd have to open up the back of the amp and do the whole nonsense.

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Replacing tubes is easy. Just pull them out, line up the pins with the holes in the tube socket and push the new ones in.

The 57 Champ as mentioned is hand wired and a very accurate reissue of the original right down to the pine cabinet. I have the 12 watt 57 Deluxe and it is amazing. The Fender Tweed Circuits are the most responsive, dynamic and beautiful sounding amps Fender has ever made. Google Fender 5e3.

3. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

More watts does not equal more or better tone.

I have an early HRD, have hauled it to jams only to still have to throttle it back to not overpower things. Most of the time if I use it at home I use a passive attenuator in the effects loop, which while a nice option has its own tonal limitations. There is zero advantage to 40 watts under most circumstances. IMHO

brians and Stratoskater like this.
  4. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-O-Master

After much thought I am going to scale back and not get a hot rod but I am saving up a large amount of money to either get the 57 champ or the 65 Princeton deluxe.it's going to take a long time based on what I make but they both have the sound I'm going for.

Lone Woof and Stratoskater like this.
  5. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Have you thought about building your own?

Stratoskater likes this.
  6. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

I honestly don't know how you could get away with playing even a 5 watt amp, let alone 15 - 40 watts, in an apartment.

I have a single ended 6 watt tube amp, and it's friggin loud.
    I can turn it down of course, but it doesn't sound the same.
    In an apartment, I would have angry neighbors for sure.

Elvie, CigBurn and Stratoskater like this.
  7. Stratoskater

You can get a kit or a clone by great builders of that 57 Champ for $500 I bet if you look around.

Bowmap likes this.
  8. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I've been doing it for years. Three of mine scale down and I will use that sometimes but they're all MV amps so that helps

rocknrollrich likes this.
  9. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

For $500 you mean strictly kit even by great builders? I've been looking around at these (my gas is bubbling) and makers like Top Hat and Victoria's version are even more than Fender for a built one. Mojotone kit is $550, $900 fully built by them. Anyone particular you like or recommend regarding kit dealers or is Mojotone the way to go?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  10. Stratoskater

There are a few on Reverb for $650 so probably a bit more than $500. These guys are right up the road from me but I’ve never heard of them. https://reverb.com/item/24536605-franklynamps-57-5f1-tweed-champ

The kit should e real easy to build. It’s pretty simple circuit

11. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Stratoskater likes this.
  12. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

I'd get a good set of headphones, and a Fender Frontman amp like dudeman7 found. You can plug into the headphones jack on the amp and not bother anybody, and then if you want to go out somewhere and jam, you have a decent sounding little regular amp. I'd save up the money for down the road when you get out of the apartment, then get the Hot Rod Deluxe, or whatever looks good when you're ready.

13. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Either your neighbors are on your payroll or they emigrated without you knowing, and you think they still there

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Bowmap and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  14. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

I can P**s off neighbors with a 10 watt amp never mind 40, add a lot of drive and I can P**s off their neighbors as well

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

15. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

Just keep the BJ.

I have an HRD and a BJ, I'm gigging regularly with the BJ these days mainly because it's a lot smaller and lighter to transport around and still packs plenty of volume for pub type gigs. I dial it up to breakup then back off a tad on the volume, and use a tubescreamer when required.

I'm currently wondering why I have the HRD, great amp but taking up a lot of space so I think it may be on the way to eBay.

CigBurn likes this.
  16. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a 20 watt Marshall Origin and I can get very decent sounds at low volume, especially with pedals. My first tube amp was a Peavey Classic 50 watt 212. Even as a dimwit it's all about me teenager I was able to get a good sound and keep it low enough to not wake my old man. His room was right next to mine in our shotgun house. No tube amp is going to shine at apt volume but they can certainly still sound good. I'll take my nerfed Origin over my Mustang GT40 any day of the week.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. 4stratshere

4stratshere Strat-Talk Member

Yep ! it's a problem -- I used to live in a flat and couldn't turn my fender twin above a whisper which is not a good strat tone. Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.