custom neck makers

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by EXTRABLUE, Feb 14, 2021.

1. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Deliberately mischaracterizing the content of a comment and then directing ridicule based upon that mischaracterization is indeed an ad hominem attack.

CB91710 likes this.
  2. beep.click

beep.click Strat-Talk Member

I have now bought several Warmoth necks, and EVERY SINGLE TIME I have had to take them to a luthier to get the tuners installed. This is after carefully specifying the exact holes needed. The last time, I even ordered the tuners along with the neck, direct from Warmoth, on the theory that they would surely HAVE to fit. Nope.

nomadh likes this.
  3. bassworx

bassworx Strat-Talk Member

Please let us know how it goes.....

4. pamoffa

pamoffa New Member!

I have a usacg neck for my strat, I've had it about 3 years. Love it. I ordered it as this>
    24-3/4" Scale Conversion Custom Guitar Neck
    Neck Wood: Plain Maple
    Fingerboard Wood: Plain Maple
    Peghead Shape: US-2
    Orientation: Right-hand
    # of Frets: 22
    Neck Profile: Custom shape/thickness
    Neck Shape: C
    Thickness: 0.860"
    Fret size/Material: 6150 (.104″ x .047″)
    Fingerboard radius: 12"
    Face dots: Black MOP $15.00
    Side dots: Black delrin
    Fingerboard inlay size: Standard 1/4"
    Nut Width: 1.650"
    Nut Slot: Flat bottom
    Truss Rod adjust location: Peghead (Top)
    Tuner ream: Grover
    Heel Shape: Rounded (S style)
    Drill mounting holes: I need them drilled!
    USACG Logo on Peghead Face: I want the logo $5.00
    I think it took 2months to arrive. Cost 250

5. Brendanj

Brendanj Strat-Talk Member

That was the thing about Tommy at USACG. I called late on a Friday to order an neck and had to leave a voicemail. I expected to hear back sometime the following Monday. Instead, I get a call on Saturday afternoon, he takes my order and we shoot the **** for at least an hour. I suspect he's out of the biz for good, but I sure do miss that guy.

6. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

Tommy was great i worked with him several times when they started that shop, very cool guy and fulfilled every request i ever threw at him

7. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

Thx.
    Funny your post should happen right at this time. I just got a response from Warmoth. It took them a while but they finally got back to me and confirmed they will not drill the locator holes. So that rules out Warmoth. I'm not paying someone good money to build a neck only to have to finish building it myself. The last neck I bought was a Fender neck from The Stratosphere on eBay. It was rather expensive but at least I got a usable neck instead of a fixer upper.

As I said earlier, I'm only interested in finished pieces that are ready to bolt up.

BTW .... just out of curiosity, how much did your guy charge you to drill your necks out?

8. Brendanj

Brendanj Strat-Talk Member

I hear ya. My preference is .95" to 1" soft V. I've even got that on my Jaguar. If it's a keeper and I can replace the neck, it gets a thick one.

9. Joelish

Joelish Strat-Talk Member

Hey man let's get one thing straight. That Chinese neck will be pretty damn good for $30. I have a buzz free neck that cost me $23.45 and its a bat from front to back, Ive already dropped the guitar at least twice on hard floors and it's absolutely fine, and thats what broke the neck I replaced. The biggest issues are going to be super flat radius and thin string spacing at that price, and you're gonna want a generous return policy, but I was highly satisfied. And if ever I decide to replace it with something better, I can easily sell this neck for what I paid for it or possibly a little more. What you're talking about is a guarantee of professional quality, which just isnt worth the price of admission if you're trying to replace a broken neck on a Squier.

Attached Files:

10. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Let's not. man.

CB91710 likes this.
  11. Joelish

Whatever man poor people play guitar ya know.

12. Joelish

I know it's not the more popular view on here but you're just wrong on this buddy. A cheap Chinese guitar neck will NOT be useless most likely. Like I said look for a free return policy or don't buy, its that simple. You get what you pay for but there is a law of diminishing returns, it doesn't cost that much to get your foot in the door.

13. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

deleted

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  14. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

A rousing vote of confidence!

But I stand corrected. For purposes of learning fret and nut work, these cheap chinese necks do have some limited value. For making music on a guitar, it is my opinion that they're utter rubbish.

I'm not your buddy.

CB91710 likes this.
  15. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

I don’t think that I would be happy with most of the Chinese necks offered on EBay. However, I had a surplus body laying around and I wanted to try something different so I ordered a fretless Chinese neck from EBay. $70 shipped to my door. It worked out a lot better than my expectation.

16. Mike7777777

Mike7777777 New Member!

Mighty Mite from Stew mac are great.

17. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Oh, I will. It will be a while yet.

18. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

True. I like bling. And it's never cheap.

19. martinmj

martinmj Strat-Talk Member

Any ridicule, if that is what you interpereted it as, was surely directed at your statement about Chinese necks, not you personally? As a thin-skinned Brit, I certainly wouldn't have taken personal exception to that reply, which merely disagreed with your initial posting, and but seems to have misinterpeted your intended point.
    Your reply adding the comment 'I'll make it easy for you', however, was not exactly neutral was it? Not a helpful comment to make what could certainly be interpreted as an ad hominen comment implying some failing in the cognitive powers of the person who you accuse of just such an attack. Aren't we all friends on here?
    I agree your initial comment did not say ALL Chinese...etc. which was how it was interpreted. However nor did it qualify the statement with the word SOME, which your clarifying response did. Which all gets away from the point of this thread anyway. I'm sure the moderators would take issue with anything interpreted as a personal attack, wouldn't they?

20. nomadh

nomadh Strat-Talker

There are lots of great necks. A used squier neck can be outstanding and they are practically giving them away sometimes. I would only consider a warmoth if I were specifically looking for either a wild exotic wood, for looks or a rare exotic carve like a fat wide or a big U. If you want a plain grain gloss or satin C there are tons cheap.