1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Custom Shop 69 or Texas Specials?

Discussion in 'Pickups - For Sale, Trade or Wanted' started by Lone Woof, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

I’m thinking about changing out the Coodercaster setup to a SSS setup. Listened to some demos and like the CS 69 and Texas Specials. Looking for opinions and other suggestions. Budget is $225 max for a fully loaded pickguard.

2. uncle daddy

uncle daddy Strat-Talker

I recently installed a set of CS 69s in a partscaster with a no load tone pot. Clangy, metallic and mid scooped with the tone pot out of the circuit. Click it back in and they're great, epecially the neck. Could do with a hotter bridge to make it more useful.

BlurgyWurgyWibble likes this.
  3. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Both are great choices imho, the 69”s will be a bit cleaner and more vintagey tone wise.

4. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

I had this - don’t know if its accurate or helpful

upload_2020-9-14_0-52-59.jpeg

5. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

My CS deluxe came 69 69 Texas so texas in bridge and 69s in neck and middle truthfully well balanced.

Trickster019 and danlad like this.
  6. danlad

danlad Strat-Talker

After a bit of occasional mucking about with pickups over some 15 years with Texas Specials (which came with it) and a set of CS69s I ended up with the Texas Special bridge, CS69 middle and neck combination as well. Tone control on middle wired to work on bridge as well.

kshilltopper likes this.
  7. Trickster019

Trickster019 Strat-Talker

I have a CS deluxe too. Same pick ups configuration. May I ask you the year of your Strat and the finish? :)

8. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I have 69s. The Neck pickup is sublime, don't use the middle, swapped the Bridge for an SSL-5. Truth be told, the SSL-5 is great but I kinda wish I'd gotten a Texas Special for the Bridge for a better balance.

If I ever buy another set of pickups it would be the 57/62s.

9. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

I've had strats with CS69's and Texas Specials.

The 69s are a great classic tone but a little low in output for me. The Texas Specials are loud but a little harsh.

I'm currently using Fat 50's in the only strat that I currenlty own, they seem to be a fair compromise between the other two.

10. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-Talker

Great resource. Cool.

11. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

Texas special is a lot hotter than the CS69. I have the CS69 in one of my strats, which is a japanese made one with basswood body. Initially, I thought my guitar sounded dull, but after installing these CS69's the guitar really came alive.

Outside of the output, I really like the CS69's in their mid positions (2, 3, and 4), but they work well in any position. They have that glassy tone - for that same reason it doesn't crank the amp that much unless you have a very strong overdrive pedal in front of the amp. I think it works well for classic rock, but definitely not that well for stuff like 80's hair metal.

Texas special has a lot more bass. I think it works really well if you tend to like dirty sounds. If you like classic rock, this pickup is great.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  12. Lone Woof

Thanks for the input. What I'm looking for is something that has a lot of fuzzy warmth on the neck pickup and bite on the bridge pickup (not icepick-y bite, but Spanky bite). The middle pickup to me is usually a lost cause. I'd settle for something that gives a nice glassy quack in the 2 and 4 positions, even though I'm not a fan of quack.

I really liked the bridge pickup on the Fat 50s, but the neck and middle seemed kind of meh.

13. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talker

Are Fat 50’s and CS Fat 50’s the same thing?

14. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

they are. They sound great.

Jackobeam and himijendrix like this.
  15. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

16. Lone Woof

Well, this was a game changer for me. The Twangy pickups by Tone Specific (first in the video) blow away any of the Fender pickups I've heard.

17. Lone Woof

Well, crap, they're $400.

18. Trickster019

Trickster019 Strat-Talker

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  19. Lone Woof

It's now between the CS 69s and the EJ pickups. Looking to get a loaded pick guard so even a simpleton like me can install it.

20. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I've got Tx Specials in one of my Strats and a set of Custom 69's in another and I've also got an Eric Johnson Strat.

My recommendation is to get a set of Bootstrap '54 Vintage Pro Set for Strat (https://bootstrappickups.com/products/bootstrapt-54-vintage-pro-set-for-strat®-flat-poles) for $50 plus $2.99 for shipping Domestic USA and just enjoy them. They're my favourite SSS pickups and have been since I got them. I got the rock stock A5 set with flat poles and I think the flat poles make a difference in a good way. Very balanced.

Installing them is a piece of cake but if it's not something you want to take on, you might be able to get them to load up a pickguard for a reasonable fee. @bootstrap is a member here too and they do respond to the contact us form on the website.

Here's a demo someone did with the A5's. I think these are the rock stock Alnico 5 with flat poles like the ones I bought:

Here's a great little demo someone did with Bootstrap 54 Sparkle Stratocaster Pickups A3 Mags (https://bootstrappickups.com/products/bootstrap-54-vintage-sparkle-set-for-strat®):

I have zero affiliation with Bootstrap but I really like their strat pickups.

Blackmore Fan likes this.