1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Custom Shop 69 or Texas Specials?

Discussion in 'Pickups - For Sale, Trade or Wanted' started by Lone Woof, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Jackobeam

Jackobeam Strat-Talker

I've had a few different ones too and I come back to the Custom Shop Hand Wound Fat 50s also, they just sound the best to me, all around.

2. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

The A5s demo didn't sound good to me. Could be the guy's setup, but it sounded harsh. The Vintage Sparkles sounded great, just wish the bridge PU were twangier.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

I like my TX Specials, especially with the G pole piece pressed down a bit to get rid of the vintage radius.

4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Funny that you’d notice that. I was going to mention that the A5’s I’ve got sound more like the video with the Vintage sparkles. I’m fairly sure it’s the setup but I also wonder if they’ll sound different in a different guitar. I think I’ll move the ones I have (AlNiCo 5’s) into one of my other Strats to see if they sound any different. I’ve only had them in one Strat because I liked them so much I didn’t want to take them out. I have more pickups than I have guitars :confused:

5. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

CS ‘69s ;)

6. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Senior Stratmaster

7. Lone Woof

I checked out several demos of Toneriders but didn’t hear anything that grabbed me.

8. Lone Woof

I’m leaning strongly toward the CS 69s, but the Bootstrap Vintage Sparkle is a close second.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  9. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Senior Stratmaster

Totally right... They are way better than the demos. I don't know why Tonerider demos sucks.

10. Lone Woof

I know I must sound like an indecisive nut job, but I'm pretty much decided on the CS 54s at this point. A loaded pick guard is $229. Someone talk me out of this.

11. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

I had Texas specials in one strat , and what I believe to be ceramics in a mim . I honestly like the ceramics better, a fuller sound to me.

12. Lone Woof

For some reason this thread was moved to the Classifieds section. No idea why.

13. Andrew Wasson

That’s weird....

Maybe ask one of the mods why it was moved. I’d have figured the Strat or Pickups forum would be where it should be.

14. Lone Woof

Well, I went with CS 54s. Won't get the loaded pick guard until sometime next week.

15. Andrew Wasson

Great. Report back when they’re in and you’ve had a chance to test drive them for a while.