Custom Shop guitars

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by SIngles Forever, Nov 19, 2021.

1. OzzieV

OzzieV Strat-Talker

Production line guitars are just that. They’re built to a price, usually what the average person can afford. Now and then, one spits out and stands above the rest, other times there’s a dog in the pack.

CS guitars are made by one luthier using premium materials and as such, there’s more care and pride put into the process. You pay extra for that, and I consider that worth the extra $s.

Intune likes this.
  2. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

In all the videos I've watched the CS sounds better than the production model. But like I said that's cause of the pickups. I've never seen CS vs USA production sound comparison where the production model also has hand guided/scattered pickups. I always figured it was the pickups I was hearing.

budglo likes this.
  3. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Fender custom shop=pretentiousness*social currency/amount of money spent*hours of guitar geeky forumite indoctrination and Fender PR.

Using that equation and based on your previous threads my friend @SIngles Forever ...you need one....asap.

4. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

Yeah @Intune Ive seen your Tele before. And your enthusiasm for it is unabating. It’s the same with my guitar. I was going to make a statement with religious connotations but thats a no no on the Forum. Nothing like having a instrument that fits you after a half a century trying to playing one.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    Intune likes this.
  5. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talker

I won’t say any of these things objectively will or won’t affect the sound, because that is all up to the ear of the player, but here are some details about custom shop guitars that in theory would have a positive impact on the sound:
    • Thin nitro finish to let the wood breathe and resonate more
    • More careful wood selection for a lighter and more resonant guitar
    • More attention to detail with the fit of the neck and neck pocket potentially lending better sustain.
    Additionally, the fretwork should be better, as well as the general setup. This only affects tone in as much as a well setup guitar that is free from buzzing will sound better.

This may or may not be worth the extra cost, and one could easily argue that a good setup and fret job on a lower end guitar will result in something just as good. Additionally, one could argue that it’s all random, and that two pieces of wood will randomly mate well and produce a good sounding instrument. That could be on a cheap or expensive model. That is certainly a valid point as well.

OzzieV likes this.
  6. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

I feel all warm and tingly.

7. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Just embrace and dont resist the urge.....

8. PonyB

PonyB Senior Stratmaster

[​IMG]

budglo likes this.
  9. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

10. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

Exactly. The Custom Shop Nocaster pickups I have in another Tele sound just like the ones in my CS Nocaster but overall the Nocaster has a better feel, fit, and finish.

11. budglo

budglo Strat-O-Master

I have had several production Strats over the years and have a MIM AVRI and a CS . Both the AVRI and CS have custom shop pickups in them. They both sound awesome. The MIM was made to a certain price point and it sounds ok. Eventually will probably swap them out. To my ears the CS pickups sound a bit more refined . The MIM pickups sound a bit more modern. Not bad , but not great either . The difference between the AVRI and CS guitars is not great, but the CS is more pleasant to play imo.

12. catsandstrats

catsandstrats Strat-Talk Member

I think it’s more than purely the pickups. My CS Tele a lighter weight which might add to some resonance/life and the fretwork and neck quality would contribute too. It has an unplugged resonance that my prod Tele can’t quite match.

To flip it around, I would wager the CS body and neck would sound better with production pickups than the production model does.

SIngles Forever likes this.