Custom Shop Guitars

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dennyn23, Jan 8, 2009.

1. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

I was just wondering what Custom Shop models you guys have and the experience you had with that guitar. Have you enjoyed the model? Would you recommend it? I think that my next big buy might be a custom shop Fender Strat, but not sure about which one. Was thinking maybe a Blackie or Eric Johnson, so input would be great!

2. Orlando Mike

Orlando Mike Senior Stratmaster

Im pretty sure the EJ and Clapton models are non Custom Shop..I played a masterbuilt Mary Kay Strat once...very nice, but 4000.00 to rich for my blood

3. axeman3d

axeman3d Strat-Talk Member

CS strats

Hi there is a huge jump in quality,really nice guitars to play, i have a 2007 heavy relic 56 strat it is awsome, the EJ strat does not come as a custom shop model but it is a superb guitar as close as you will get to the custom shop without paying a fortune. you can get a CS clapton model and a master built but i think these are to plain jane there are tones better to choose from mine has yabbarra signed Fat 50s in the neck and middle and a sh-1 59 humbucker in the bridge and well worn in feel.

4. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

I own a CS Nocaster and have played a few CS strats; wood is generally nicer, fit and finish seems to be better than factory but some models such as the EJ are the next best thing. Not sure if I would go for a CS model unless I knew I was going to keep it stock. I love changing things around and for the $$ you have to shell out for a CS model, changing pick-ups and such would just seem wrong!

skiiman likes this.
  5. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

I have 3 Custom Shop Strats, a 1989 Homer Haynes Limited Edition, a 1996 50th Anniversary (Fender) Diamond Dealer Relic Limited Edition and a 56 Relic.

Out of all the modern ones I have played, the 56, for me, is the best.

BTW the EJ is not a Custom Shop. I have one and it is nice, but I prefer the Custom Shop ones.

I also have a Custom Shope Tele

6. FirstFender

FirstFender Strat-Talk Member

I like the look of the Custom Classics from Wildwood. Thin skin nitro with beautiful wood graining. I really like to see the grain, although I guess that's not super Fendery. Of course I'm the schmo who also likes matching headstocks so take that for what it's worth (and I like blue guitars...). Never played one, but with my playing it's unlikely anyone could tell the difference. I play a mean C chord and that's about it.

7. flt101

flt101 Strat-Talk Member

as far as my custom shop strat go i have 2 master salute strats and a namm showmaster if that counts as a strat, they are masterbuilt strats

8. s-strats-D-rvb

s-strats-D-rvb Strat-Talk Member

Custom Shop Fender guitars are really nice ! And I would say that 99.999% of the time they are better.

Ya gott try a few and find the one for you.

I have a 96 3-tsb 60 RI, I've had it for more than 10 years. I've had lots of other guitars in that time (Other strats as well) and this one is still with me.......

9. gguitar55

gguitar55 Strat-Talk Member

I have an EJ and it is a wonderful guitar. Some of his specs make a huge difference from a standard or deluxe. The quartersawn neck combined with a thin skin nitro body really resonates. The pickups stand up and speak. Well worth it as opposed to the money for a Fender Custom Shop build. I don't have experience with them as they just seem too expensive. Just got a Big Tex strat (custom builder in Houston). I love it. Great guitar. You may want to check out this route as opposed to CS. Nash strats are cool too.
    gguitar55

10. s-strats-D-rvb

s-strats-D-rvb Strat-Talk Member

Just FYI ..........A lot of CS team built giutars can be had used for under $2000.00 Like this one in the link.........

http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/stock.html

If my link did't get you there, it's Black CS60 RI made in 08.

11. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

Thanks very much you guys! The input has been wonderful! If any action occurs, which it probably won't for a little while, given this economy, I'll make sure to post it!

12. Eight Ball

Eight Ball Strat-Talker

I have a Fender Custom Shop Clapton Strat...I'm 16, and so sold my PS3, PSP, TV and Games to get it, well worth every penny though. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Have played a Custom Shop Relic Tele....it was beautiful.

Though on a personal level I'd rather have a NOS.

14. flt101

flt101 Strat-Talk Member

they way i look at custom shop guitars is you need to start somewhere to get to the end of a journey, and i like to move forward not too fast or too slow, but for what i've seen on ebay as far as cs fenders, if i decide to trade up down or sideways, i'll keep a guitar for a year or so then sell it, if i took a loss after a year say $300, that only $25 a month to rent the guitar, people spend that much on cable tv in 2 weeks or sitting at a bar drinking or rent video games, when i mentioned earlier i had 3 custom shop strats, that didn't take into account being a strat forum, the 7 danny gatton teles or 2 john english esquire stealths or john cruz rosewood tele or even the cs tele 12 string i'm happy to have in my collection, i don't play them but i still enjoy them, too busy