Join Strat-Talk Today

Custom Shop Modern C Neck

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by MUCOL, Dec 16, 2018.

1. MUCOL

MUCOL Strat-Talker

Hey Everyone, I have a strat on order from the Fender Custom Shop and I picked a Modern C neck which is the slimmest profile they offer supposed to about .870 at the 12th fret. Has anyone ever ordered that neck from the CS shop or bought a CS strat with that neck in the past?

I have a 1984 57 reissue strat it has one of my favorite necks which is about .870 at the 12th fret so I'm sort of trying to get close to that shape. That neck seems to be pretty rare I never see it on any of the sites like guitar center or wildwood.

Let me know thanks eric

2. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

I had a dealer order custom shop with a custom specified design that came in slightly smaller than the Modern “C” neck shape.

The specs were.
    • 1st Fret Thickness .780"
    • 12th Fret Thickness .870"
    I compared it to a 1986 62 reissue I had. The neck thickness were just about the same when measured with calipers.

Hopefully the custom shop neck you ordered is slimmer than the modern C because they are a bit thicker @ the 1st fret than the older AVRI. Modern C can range from .815 -.840 @ the 1st fret.

They didn't give you a measurement for the 1st fret?

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  3. MUCOL

MUCOL Strat-Talker

Hey Mr. Dunlop,

thanks for the feedback.

The dealer is a pretty big custom shop dealer he said could make 2 spec changes to the guitar and not have it be classified as 1-off custom shop strat so no extra charge. It's a post-modern custom shop strat. so I had him make the neck slimmer but it had to be one from the necks from the 2018 fender design catalog and the slimmest one is the Modern C. The normal PM neck is the mid 60's C(.930) I had one just sold it really liked it a damn good guitar. Anyway, I have a 1984 57 reissue and it's neck about .870 at the 12th and I like that neck a lot so I was hoping it would be about the same. I cut the neck specs off my CS order sheet and pasted below yours seems to have a slimmer 1st fret. Point is you answered one of my questions I don't have calipers so I don't know the depth at the first fret on the 57 reissues, but I'll bet it's about like yours. the other change I made was not one the standard colors in 2018 the PM comes in I did Tabacco Birst instead. It better come in around .870 at the 12th fret I wonder if they miss much do you know? I'm was just looking for anyone who's ordered that neck to see what they think you don't see them much.

BACK SHAPE MODERN "C"
    NECK NUT WIDTH 1.650"
    NECK THICKNESS AT 1ST FRET .820"
    NECK THICKNESS AT 12TH FRET .870"
    NECK BUTT WIDTH 2.200"
    NUT BONE (GTR & J-BASS)
    NUMBER OF BOLTS 4 BOLT W/CONTOUR

4. Mr Dunlop

Yah your specs look a tad thicker at the first fret. Hopefully it's not that big of a difference for you.

5. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

FWIW, the Fender modern C neck I owned had fairly pronounced D profile: 0.834” and 0.886“

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  6. MUCOL

MUCOL Strat-Talker

Mr, Dunlop, yep for sure thicker not necessarily a good sign that's the issue with ordering a guitar by specs I'm excited but have a tad of worry that it won't meet my expectations on the neck.

Johnny MG, did you order a modern C neck and it came in at .886 on the 12th fret or did you buy it from someone or a guitar store? my AVRI is more D shaped than C and I like it alot if the new strat came in with more of a D shape I'd be fine with it.

7. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

Just saying that Fender's Modern C tends to be somewhat D shaped. :confused:

8. MUCOL

MUCOL Strat-Talker

Mr. Dunlop, I really hope that's the case and the neck on my 57AVRI starts more of a C but then starts to transition to D about 7th fret and then when you get to the 10th fret and above it's D shape for sure. My hands are smaller but I can really play that neck well starting at 10 and above I'll keep my fingers crossed that's what I get. If I don't I'll get used to it as long as they meet depth spec on the order sheet. thanks for the feedback it was helpful.

9. Mr Dunlop

How long of a wait is it till your new guitar arrives?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.